Bitdefender : "Connection to server failed" message

bertie40

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
This has been bugging me for a little while now.
Trying to install Bitdefender free edition, but I keep getting this message....

"The connection to the server has failed, The product could not be activated, Check the connection and try again"

Obviously I've goggled and attempted removal, reinstall, safe mode, updated drivers, firewall etc.

The machine is one of my builds,
Barely 2 months old.
Win 8.1 64bit, 4GB ram, fully updated. Solid Broadband connection.

I've built several machines to the same spec, and never had this problem.

The machine is used for a charity, with a number of other machines on the same network. A few with Bitdefender installed as well. They are working ok.

I'm at a loss on this one.
Could it be a licensing issue ?

ive always had problems with bitdefender free. i know it not direct answer to your problem but i would simply uninstall it and throw either the paid version or a different AV on it.

I'm a die hard bitdefender fan, but their free edition doesn't seem to be too friendly. I usually use avast if installing free and turn on pup control.

Can BD be updated ok on this machine but just not activate ?
Cheers James.

It's an activation issue but it also fails to update. I think I'll just throw it away and install avast.

I believe I'm not alone in having this problem...... And this thing won AV comparatives product prize ?
Ok. Maybe it's just limited to the free version.

Cheers James.

It's an activation issue but it also fails to update. I think I'll just throw it away and install avast.

I believe I'm not alone in having this problem...... And this thing won AV comparatives product prize ?
Ok. Maybe it's just limited to the free version.
The paid version is really great and user friendly, the free is meh.

Did the newer version of the free one get released to the rest of the globe? I recall Bitdefender had released the newer freebie client to the US continent only.
I used the BD free one for many of my free jobs or one-off jobs....but haven't installed it in recent months.

Did the newer version of the free one get released to the rest of the globe? I recall Bitdefender had released the newer freebie client to the US continent only.
I used the BD free one for many of my free jobs or one-off jobs....but haven't installed it in recent months.
Good point. I'll try grabbing a U.S. version and give it a try.

New year's resolution... NO MORE FREE ANTIVIRUS
:)
If they need an Antivirus I offer ESET Smart Security or NOD32 Antivirus.

(thanks to Nige for encouraging me to change my behaviour which was to simply install Avast Free on every machine that needs an av)

New year's resolution... NO MORE FREE ANTIVIRUS
:)
If they need an Antivirus I offer ESET Smart Security or NOD32 Antivirus.

(thanks to Nige for encouraging me to change my behaviour which was to simply install Avast Free on every machine that needs an av)

Fair and Valid point. :D

The big guy has had a big impact lately. I've noticed a shift in suggested business practices and a slightly more concerted attitude being put forward.

I've certainly altered my business perspective and it's starting to improve my earnings.

Bitdefender is the AV product i license in our bundled Endpoint Management suite. Ive seen this error come up when interfacing programmatically to it. The Engine itself makes a bunch of calls. Not always to bitDefender's Server's for updates/license checks, but also, to itself (if that makes any sense)

Add localhost (though should already be there) to the firewall settings.
Open Window's host file and validate no entires related to bitDefender exist
Check %APPDATA% and pull the bitDefender log from the system. It will provide a stack trace that would be much more helpful in this.

The last couple times I tried to use my bitdefender live CD, I got the server connection error message. I didn't bother trying to find a fix, I just moved onto something else.

I did try the free edition a while back. Since starting up my own business, its paid or trial only. I don't support free AV and I let them know this..

It's free for a reason (define: malware honeypot)

Back