BIOS update fail

Sometimes you can find a programmed BIOS chip on eBay. Have successfully done this in the past. You could desolder one from a junk board and move it over. You could buy a programmer, but you you have to learn how to use it. I will generally update BIOSes for gaming computers but not very often for other ones and if I do it would be at the end when it's stable.

Sometimes you can find a programmed BIOS chip on eBay. Have successfully done this in the past. You could desolder one from a junk board and move it over. You could buy a programmer, but you you have to learn how to use it. I will generally update BIOSes for gaming computers but not very often for other ones and if I do it would be at the end when it's stable.
i was thinker of a donor board but can't locate one as yet.

Ok, maybe. But did you resolved it?

In my case I did not have a problem. But I always try to pay attention to what is getting installed for updates. And if any type of firmware I always try to prep for it if possible. At least making sure I've got a current backup and the machine is coming off of a fresh power down and power up.

I don't have much to say here in support of the OP other than, HP sucks...

But the idea that you don't ever update a BIOS unless you have to has died. Intel's Microcode issues, and the associated Windows updates will cause you problems if you aren't on a relatively recent firmware.

For that reason, every single machine that hits my bench gets updated. But the businesses I work with know this is relatively risky, and they may lose a machine.

It's also the primary driver for me to only support Dell in the field, because they have superior firmware update and recovery procedures to most other vendors, and their process is very consistent across the brand. Saves time looking up the correct BIOS. But, if I have any doubt at all, the firmware doesn't get updated I'll recommend replacement.

I

For that reason, every single machine that hits my bench gets updated. But the businesses I work with know this is relatively risky, and they may lose a machine.

Same here...as part of our building/deploy process, and as part of our "tune-up" process, we always update the BIOS. I've been going this gig for over 25 years, including back when working at the big Computerland chain. I probably am not kidding when I say I've probably done near or over 10,000 bios flashes. I've had 1....ONE....bios flash gone bad. And that was a custom tweaked 3rd party BIOS flash on one of my own Asus gaming rigs that already had a prior custom flash on it. Re-worded..THAT was a high risk system. All over ~10,000 or whatever BIOS flashes...gone good. HP, Dell, Lenovo...done thousands of each. Sitting right here in this server room at a Hospice agency right now...doing 3x laptops right now, 2x Dells and a Lenovo..and along with the driver updates, doing BIOS flashes.

As for the OP, no, Microsoft does not do BIOS flashes with Microsoft updates. Microsoft is concerned with software, their operating system, and system drivers. They would not take on the liability of forcing a BIOS flash on un-trained residential end users. (since you have to be careful when doing one, don't interrupt it, don't disconnect power, etc etc).

Either your end users told you some baloney story, or...it was a manufacturer utility that was set on "auto update"....which did the BIOS along with drivers and some essential Windows updates necessary for the drivers and other system software. For example, Lenovos ThinkVantage tools can be set to automatically run. Guessing HP may have a version out there..I'm not sure, don't work on a lot of HPs anymore...I've mostly gone Lenovo.

It's also the primary driver for me to only support Dell in the field, because they have superior firmware update and recovery procedures to most other vendors, and their process is very consistent across the brand.
I update Dells and Lenovo thinkcenters all the time . No issues. Dell is the easiest.

Same here...as part of our building/deploy process, and as part of our "tune-up" process, we always update the BIOS. I've been going this gig for over 25 years, including back when working at the big Computerland chain. I probably am not kidding when I say I've probably done near or over 10,000 bios flashes. I've had 1....ONE....bios flash gone bad. And that was a custom tweaked 3rd party BIOS flash on one of my own Asus gaming rigs that already had a prior custom flash on it. Re-worded..THAT was a high risk system. All over ~10,000 or whatever BIOS flashes...gone good. HP, Dell, Lenovo...done thousands of each. Sitting right here in this server room at a Hospice agency right now...doing 3x laptops right now, 2x Dells and a Lenovo..and along with the driver updates, doing BIOS flashes.

As for the OP, no, Microsoft does not do BIOS flashes with Microsoft updates. Microsoft is concerned with software, their operating system, and system drivers. They would not take on the liability of forcing a BIOS flash on un-trained residential end users. (since you have to be careful when doing one, don't interrupt it, don't disconnect power, etc etc).

Either your end users told you some baloney story, or...it was a manufacturer utility that was set on "auto update"....which did the BIOS along with drivers and some essential Windows updates necessary for the drivers and other system software. For example, Lenovos ThinkVantage tools can be set to automatically run. Guessing HP may have a version out there..I'm not sure, don't work on a lot of HPs anymore...I've mostly gone Lenovo.
Thanks for the input

can it be fixed?
I have no idea. You can see the flashing light code, I can't.

You still haven't mentioned:
  • The actual HP model and how old it is
  • Intel or AMD processor
  • Separate graphics or integrated in the CPU
  • The OS version
  • If you were only doing updates through Windows Update or with some other (HP) utility
These will all have a bearing on the likelihood of a hardware failure and the possibility of repairing. They will also give an idea of whether a repair is even worth it, or if the laptop should be scrapped. Sometimes laptops die and sometimes there is nothing to be done about it.

You need to start asking better questions. Your original post is not much more than "I have this HP laptop that won't work. What's wrong with it?"

Also seen automatic BIOS updates with Lenovo machines, it's a pain.

Only thing I can think of is to desolder the chip and use a bios programmer to dump the contents (save this).

If you can get hold of a BIOS, then flash this to the chip to see if it posts.

• Intel or AMD processor
  • The OS version
  • If you were only doing updates through Windows Update or with some other (HP) utility
These will all have a bearing on the likelihood of a hardware failure and the possibility of repairing. They will also give an idea of whether a repair is even worth it, or if the laptop should be scrapped. Sometimes laptops die and sometimes there is nothing to be done about it.

You need to start asking better questions. Your original post is not much more than "I have this HP laptop that won't work. What's wrong with it?"
Understood...I will post more details.

• Intel or AMD processor
  • The OS version

It'sd as HP 15-f039wm.
It's a intel processor.
It's not using a separate graphics chip.
Win10
Only windows updates was being done at the time.

This is my actual qoute by the way....

"I was updating a HP 15, but before the the update was completed the computer blanked out and the capslock and F12 led keeps flashing.

Any solution to recover the bios? Thanks"

This is a video I made:

Last edited:
I dont know how a CHEAP Walmart computer ended up over there but You are wasting time and money worring about this. Just either explain to the client these things happen or replace it with another refurbished computer.

That thing cost less than $300 US when new. Was most likely a "black friday" special back then.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-...-1-Black-Eligible-Windows-10-upgrade/38043712
Well, it's not for a customer really. And i can use it for experimenting for gaining morte knowledge.

What's the error led code you're getting and how did you determine it means a BIOS issue?

In your video I see the led blink 3 times. Is it just a repeating 3 blinks?

Have you tried pulling the RAM to see if it changes the error code?

Back