Best USB/Desktop adapter for Sonicpoints?

pceinc

Reaction score
I'm new to using SonicPoint AP's so I don't have much experience with different wifi adapters working with them other than Intel laptop adapters and IOS devices. I have a desktop machine I attempted to put on the wireless lan that is in decent range of 3 of 6 Sonicpoint AP's at a client site. The PC get's 90% signal to one AP that is 20' away and 60%-80% signal from two more that are equally 80'-100' feet away. It's a warehouse that has 6 SonicPoints setup in a 2x3 grid. This was a spur of the moment request while I was onsite today so the only USB adapter I had was an el-cheapo Trendnet USB. Windows XP Zero Config would not even connect. The encryption is WPA-PSK TKIP/EAS. The Trendnet utility would connect but drop within a few minutes. I was able to stay connected long enough to join the PC to the domain but could not reconnect on reboot. I would like to order another adapter that allows me to exclude specific AP's in the profile so I can force it to connect to the AP that is closest and ignore the rest. I know this can be done with most laptop adapters like the Intel Pro series but I don't know of any desktop/USB adapters that come with their own wireless utility to do this. Anyone have a lead on what adapter I should try or which adapter works best with Sonicpoint AP's?

Back