Before/After Comparison of my Website

Techtree

Reaction score
Hey all

EDIT: May 1st, 2016 Based on your feedback check out my new website design: www.techtree.ca - I believe this website will be very SEO friendly and visually pleasing. As this is a new design I still welcome your suggestions.

For those wondering, the reason my home page looks the way it does is because my highest ranking page on Google is my services page which why Ive done things the way they are. Before you say anything, yes, I know the call to action on this site is brutal.

Here's what I'm working on:

https://techtree1.odoo.com/
All I have right now is that main page. What do you think? I know it's far from the "traditional" computer repair page, but that's kind of what I'm going for.

The GoDaddy builder is ok for basic but overall its pretty bad for what I want to accomplish. I think Wordpress might be my best bet but I'm still on the fence. This odoo is a bit on the expensive side but if it means converting clicks to calls I am all for it.

Appreciate any and all feedback, good or bad.

Last edited:
I know it's not finished, but so far I don't even see your name on that page. No phone number, no address.

Wait, I found your name. Small print in your first paragraph.

IMO, you're wasting far too much "above the fold" real estate on non essentials. This is the most valuable 10 vertical inches in your entire business. You're using it up on wasted space and text that doesn't move the sale forward. For example, don't thank me for looking at your webpage. Use that first sentence assure me that I didn't waste my time clicking your link in the search results.

Capture my attention, tell me you can solve my problem, appear professional and "real" . . . before I have to scroll down.

I do like the "blue bar" description on each of your pricing levels. Very succinct explanation of why a customer might select each one.

I know it's not finished, but so far I don't even see your name on that page. No phone number, no address.

Wait, I found your name. Small print in your first paragraph.

IMO, you're wasting far too much "above the fold" real estate on non essentials. This is the most valuable 10 vertical inches in your entire business. You're using it up on wasted space and text that doesn't move the sale forward. For example, don't thank me for looking at your webpage. Use that first sentence assure me that I didn't waste my time clicking your link in the search results.

Capture my attention, tell me you can solve my problem, appear professional and "real" . . . before I have to scroll down.

I do like the "blue bar" description on each of your pricing levels. Very succinct explanation of why a customer might select each one.
Thanks. I'm surprised you think the call to action at the top of the page is wasted space. I would have thought the opposite. You do make a good point and I'm curious to see what others have to say.

At least with your current website your eyes aren drawn to something useful. First to your logo, then to your phone number (or to the android logo if it is up in the carousal, which isn't as useful.

With the new site, eyes are drawn to the circle of computers, then to the mouse, and then to the other objects in the background image.
Kill that background, get your logo and phone number up, and make the call to action stand out more

Edit: And the one click from your fix is a blatant lie

Thanks. I'm surprised you think the call to action at the top of the page is wasted space. I would have thought the opposite. You do make a good point and I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Are you referring to the 10 minute consultation? No, that's not a strong call to action for computer repair. It may be a language difference, but people with broken computers aren't generally looking for consultations, they're looking for repairs. And while it may not be completely wasted space, it appears you're going out of your way to avoid someone actually calling you. Sure, some people are fine filling out a form and waiting for a return call. But many aren't, so why make that the only apparent option?

And I agree with the spirit of Trev's comment above about the one click. It's one click, complete seven mandatory fields, another click, and then a wait of unknown duration until someone contacts me back.

The harder you make it for someone to recognize almost instantly that YOU can solve their problem, and contact you to schedule that resolution, the more people will pass you by. I've forgotten the average number of seconds someone spends on a website before going back to the search results, but it's not very long. Scrolling, reading, form filling - they'll do it. But only if they've already decided that you can help them.

Really all I'm suggesting, is that the first thing potential customers see should clearly communicate your ability to solve their problems and an easy way to immediately reach you. You won't miss opportunities by being direct, obvious and simple.

Are you referring to the 10 minute consultation? No, that's not a strong call to action for computer repair. It may be a language difference, but people with broken computers aren't generally looking for consultations, they're looking for repairs. And while it may not be completely wasted space, it appears you're going out of your way to avoid someone actually calling you. Sure, some people are fine filling out a form and waiting for a return call. But many aren't, so why make that the only apparent option?

And I agree with the spirit of Trev's comment above about the one click. It's one click, complete seven mandatory fields, another click, and then a wait of unknown duration until someone contacts me back.

The harder you make it for someone to recognize almost instantly that YOU can solve their problem, and contact you to schedule that resolution, the more people will pass you by. I've forgotten the average number of seconds someone spends on a website before going back to the search results, but it's not very long. Scrolling, reading, form filling - they'll do it. But only if they've already decided that you can help them.

Really all I'm suggesting, is that the first thing potential customers see should clearly communicate your ability to solve their problems and an easy way to immediately reach you. You won't miss opportunities by being direct, obvious and simple.

Thanks for this. I guess the thing that is frustrating to me is on my current version, the number is very easy to spot in the corner "secure your service". Yet, here I sit, hundreds of hits to my website and no calls.

Thanks for this. I guess the thing that is frustrating to me is on my current version, the number is very easy to spot in the corner "secure your service". Yet, here I sit, hundreds of hits to my website and no calls.

Because your old site is terrible. It says virtually nothing about what you do, who you do it for, why I should call you, etc. etc. Additionally, when I search for "Peterborough Computer Repair" your site doesn't come up at all. And your competitors that do appear in the results all have better sites than your old one. If you can see that your site is getting appropriate hits, but your phone isn't ringing, it's because your competitor's phones are ringing.

The good new is, none of your competitors have great sites either. They're just better than yours. So it's good timing to roll out a new one. You may even want to take advantage of Bryce's web analysis service. It could be the best $49 you ever spent: https://www.technibble.com/technibble-site-analysis-service/

Yet, here I sit, hundreds of hits to my website and no calls.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but on your new Web site you ask "Is your business being found online? Does your current website convert visitors into paying customers? If not, let us help. We can custom tailor a solution that's right for you." Are you sure that you're ready to offer this service?

Also, your Contact Us page has a map indicating that you're based just outside Brussels. (Probably the default because that's where Odoo is hosted.) I'm not keen on clients dropping in without an appointment either but sending them to Belgium might be going a bit far!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but on your new Web site you ask "Is your business being found online? Does your current website convert visitors into paying customers? If not, let us help. We can custom tailor a solution that's right for you." Are you sure that you're ready to offer this service?

The ironic thing is that I've been successful in getting other people's pages to the front page with their search terms. However, I am going to chalk it up to not as much competition. Even though my website doesn't look the greatest right now, as I'm being told, I feel the SEO is 100x better than all my competitors (talking about my current website).

Also, your Contact Us page has a map indicating that you're based just outside Brussels. (Probably the default because that's where Odoo is hosted.) I'm not keen on clients dropping in without an appointment either but sending them to Belgium might be going a bit far!

Yes, I haven't even touched the contact page yet. I did a few hours of work on the main page to get some feedback before going any further.

I think the best part of my entire new page is the pricing model. Other than that I think I am going to focus on some of the other points as suggested by the community and see what I can come up with.

It's looking better now. I never noticed your slogan before "tech is our nature", I like it. I also like the "connect with a tech now" and then phone number. It's simple, it gives me the impression that if I call the number I will be immediately in contact with who can actually help (not just talking to a receptionist or service writer)

As for SEO, I'm curious as to what people are searching to find your website. Using 'quick' and 'reliable' are the only ways I can get it to show up on the first page of Google.

It would interested thread to have everyone share the searches that people use that bring them to their website.

Visually, the site is much more pleasing than your original. The font in the "A Bit About Us" section looks weak and it's a strain to read. You might promote the "We've Got You Covered" to replace "A Bit About Us" (who else would it be about) or slip some other confidence-inspiring phrase in there, then jump into popular services. Just figure customers want to know more of "What's in it for me" than "What about Tech Tree".

Last edited:
Visually, the site is much more pleasing than your original. The font in the "A Bit About Us" section looks weak and it's a strain to read. You might promote the "We've Got You Covered" to replace "A Bit About Us" (who else would it be about) or slip something other confidence-inspiring phrase in there, then jump into popular services. Just figure customers want to know more of "What's in it for me" than "What about Tech Tree".

Thanks. I've updated that. Haven't change the font yet though.

I can see that you went with Wix. I mentioned it before that while it is easy to build it doesn't offer much more after that. SEO really isn't good and the AJAX link is horrendous. I hated that so much and that is the reason I got off it and went to Tech Site Builder. I don't consider myself good with web design but at the very least it was tech centered and gave me what I needed quickly.

http://www.techtree.ca/#!pricing/m8qz6

That's hard to remember especially when you want to tell a client about it. Ideally you want www.techtree.ca/pricing

I saw your previous website and it wasn't bad it just had too much information everywhere. The content on your new website seems a lot cleaned up and better. Just thought the Wix website builder was a negative.

I can see that you went with Wix. I mentioned it before that while it is easy to build it doesn't offer much more after that. SEO really isn't good and the AJAX link is horrendous. I hated that so much and that is the reason I got off it and went to Tech Site Builder. I don't consider myself good with web design but at the very least it was tech centered and gave me what I needed quickly.

http://www.techtree.ca/#!pricing/m8qz6

That's hard to remember especially when you want to tell a client about it. Ideally you want www.techtree.ca/pricing

I saw your previous website and it wasn't bad it just had too much information everywhere. The content on your new website seems a lot cleaned up and better. Just thought the Wix website builder was a negative.

I think Wix gives me what I need for now and will stick with it for at least one year. I did do some research on the Google developer website and it seems that the AJAX linking is fine for crawling. One of my competitors website is consistently the highest ranking result for me on Google with certain search terms and his/her site is Wix as well. I appreciate the feedback but at this point I need to commit to it for at least one year lol and see what happens. If I can spend less time worrying about my website maybe I can spend more time networking and building some word of mouth as well.

That's fine I gave mine about a year and just didn't see the results I needed. Different strokes for different folks. I hope the SEO and ranking works for you though. Always nice to have the site set up the way you need it and move onto other business things.

That's fine I gave mine about a year and just didn't see the results I needed. Different strokes for different folks. I hope the SEO and ranking works for you though. Always nice to have the site set up the way you need it and move onto other business things.

Really at the end of the day I just want you to be wrong so I don't have to do another website lol. Actually I tried the Tech builder first but payment kept getting declined. Wix seemed more than happy to take the payment so here we are. In a years time I will review and see. Thanks for your feedback.

Payment kept getting declined? Sorry to hear that you had issues getting it set up. Lol Wix has great features and extremely easy to build a website quickly so I understand where you are coming from.

Back