ASUS x202e won't POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bummer

So, here is the story.
I've bought an used x202e on eBay *in perfect condition, not a scratch on it*.
It came upgraded to Windows 10, but since I wanted to do a clean slate I've cleaned all the partitions and formatted the hard drive. I've also upgraded BIOS from 206 to 210.
So far so good. Then, I've installed Ubuntu on it, but I thought that it would be a good idea to install Windows 10 again and run it as dual boot.
Windows 10 rewrote the GRUB so I had to fix that one as well, but I've accidentally erased its boot partition and (of course) it wouldn't boot.
So I decided to do it again but this time, to do it properly, I wanted to install Windows first and than Ubuntu later.
Again, I've deleted all the partitions, formatted the HDD and started Windows 10 installation from a pen drive. It went well up to a point, but then it got stuck on "Wait a moment" (or something) screen, and after some time I did a hard reset. After the restart, the installation continued but got stuck again. I did a hard reset once again, but this time laptop wouldn't POST anymore.
What I get right now is: power led is on, Wi-fi led flashes for a second, HDD starts spinning and then it all stops. The screen is black and I can't enter BIOS or anything.
I've checked the HDD - works fine, attached an external monitor to see if I'll get something that way - nothing. Tried to boot without HDD - same thing. Tried to boot with a pen drive - no luck.
The rest of the components are soldered on the motherboard so I can't check if it's memory, processor or BIOS.
I think that without the memory it should still be able to enter BIOS so it could be either processor or BIOS. Processors almost never dies on the default settings so corrupt BIOS seems most likely (or so I wish to think since it can be replaced. The laptop run on battery the whole time so there is no chance that there was a power surge or something that could fry the components.
I've tried unplugging the battery, holding power button for 60 seconds, clearing the CMOS, no results.
I've run out of ideas what to do so any suggestion is welcome.

One more thing. I've noticed that plugin the computer on AC results in the same behavior as pressing the power button - computer turns on, fails to boot and remains on. There is also no way to shut it down while it's on AC - I have to do a hard reset and the computer will restart and star everything all over again. Maybe there's a hint.

Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back