App Bloatware Removal in W10 & W11

Wheelie

Reaction score
Just a heads up about freeware O&O Appbuster for removing/debloating retail apps from Windows 10 & 11 (even nukes Cortana and a few other that have no uninstall feature). I have used it a number of times in the past 2 months to debloat business client computers and it seems to do a good job. It's from the same vendor that makes O&O Shutup. No issues or crashes from it so far. Interestingly it does not offer to remove the Apps found on the Win11 Start Menu (ESPN, WhatsApp, Facebook, Disney, ClipChamp, Tik Tok, Instagram, etc) but those apps can be removed manually with a right-click/uninstall. Would love to hear back from others regarding any experieinces with that tool (or with any other methods you've used to decrap a PC).

Yep, any other "professional" approach is unsupported, unethical, and done only to ensure the client returns with some random problem you'll never be able to solve.

Old habits die hard eh? Honestly, even if a few apps make it past, with SSD's and decent chips, PC's aren't the same as the XP Days. You need good hardware to run 10/11 decently so unless it's an app that is known for tanking system performance (like some apps that feature a "miner" to help pay for the app) then likely you won't notice as much. Most of the lag and slowness of Windows is down to the massive size of the components and all the stuff you installed along with updates.

Windows does a decent job of cleaning up these days. I mean I could be like Best Buy and run a registry cleaner and free up a few Kb of space and hose my Windows install, but I have better things to do today.

(or with any other methods you've used to decrap a PC).

Although I've tried a few of these decrapifier programs I usually just open the App interface and manually uninstall a few notorious ones like Skype or Xbox. The tricky ones can be the manufacturer's bloatware. I usually Google those before trying to remove them.

Old habits die hard eh? Honestly, even if a few apps make it past, with SSD's and decent chips, PC's aren't the same as the XP Days. You need good hardware to run 10/11 decently so unless it's an app that is known for tanking system performance (like some apps that feature a "miner" to help pay for the app) then likely you won't notice as much. Most of the lag and slowness of Windows is down to the massive size of the components and all the stuff you installed along with updates.

Windows does a decent job of cleaning up these days. I mean I could be like Best Buy and run a registry cleaner and free up a few Kb of space and hose my Windows install, but I have better things to do today.
This

What's next, a registry cleaner?

Oh I know we'll run that after we give Spybot Search and Destroy a pass!

Remember this? Microsofts own! From back in the day of 5,400 rpm quantum bigfoots! LOL

microsoftregclean.gif

Personally, I've never understood the drive to remove things like Skype or Xbox, either.

If you don't use 'em, and never set things up, they pretty much lie fallow, using up next to nothing in both disk space and any other resources. If it comes with Windows from Microsoft, I just don't touch it, as it's very likely to reappear during a Feature Update or Cumulative Update at some point anyway.

I just let it sit there and do literally or virtually nothing.

Don't forget that many OEM's have their own maintenance apps which facilitate installations/updates to OEM specific devices/services. And I'm not talking about adware or MS Store. I'll start with a nuke & pave using the MS image then check the OEM site for maintenance/driver update utility. Install that and it'll take care of the rest.

I'll start with a nuke & pave using the MS image then check the OEM site for maintenance/driver update utility. Install that and it'll take care of the rest.

The only thing I'll add to that list, if the computer has any Intel hardware of any sort, is to throw the Intel Driver & Support Assistant into that mix.

Intel seems to churn out driver updates at an incredibly fast pace compared to the past, and a very great many of those don't seem to end up on the OEM support pages for drivers nor come in through the OEM "service station" software. I cannot count (literally, at this point) how many updates to WiFi/Bluetooth drivers I've gotten on this machine that have come only from Intel directly via their Driver & Support Assistant.

Don't forget that many OEM's have their own maintenance apps which facilitate installations/updates to OEM specific devices/services. And I'm not talking about adware or MS Store. I'll start with a nuke & pave using the MS image then check the OEM site for maintenance/driver update utility. Install that and it'll take care of the rest.

This is wisdom, it's called "standardiziation."

You've got the core Windows environment in a trusted known configuration, upgraded with just enough OEM utility to ensure the hardware is serviced as well.

Standardization aides documentation, documentation determines due care, due care performed over time is due diligence. Due diligence over time is the foundation upon which security is built.

This brings us to another axiom... customization is the antithesis of security.

That isn't to say there is no place for it, but we're all better off minimizing it wherever possible. And those that do the deep dives are better off doing so properly knowing the risks associated with it.

This brings us to another axiom... customization is the antithesis of security.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but it's going to come off that way: That depends on exactly what you mean by "customization."

Almost anything that Windows' own UI allows you to tweak about Windows is generally not going to be problematic, and I know of very few people who don't tweak their desktops with the theme they like, maybe change the fonts used, and the list goes on and on. That is customization in my book, but not the sort that should have any impact on security.

About the only thing I can think of, of the top of my head, that you can do through the Windows Defender UI that could is adding exclusions to scanning.

@britechguy I stand by what I said, even the minor cases you're listing off.

Each and every customization is a change that must be managed, and as such reduces total security.

That reduction is quite variable, from the practically nonexistent to criminally negligent or malicious. But it's still a reduction.

Even a simple UI change causes anyone auditing the system later to account for it in the way they interface with the system, and can become a source of error.

So when I say reduction in security, do not constrain yourself to the limitations of what most consider cybersecurity, or information security. I'm talking about security as a raw, wide open concept that encompasses physical, interactive, virtual, network, and anything else you can think of that goes before the word. In this sense it's more akin to the concepts of risk and change and how these factors mold the human behavior around themselves.

It's one of those things that will make your brain melt if you're thinking about it correctly. But documenting this stuff is what a cybersecurity professional does. Why? Because you need an inventory... of everything.

An inventory of assets, configurations, changes, and even people.

Because you cannot secure anything, if you do not know what you're securing first. The first step is always an inventory or an assessment. And that inventory or assessment is incomplete if it doesn't have all the configuration items in it. A configuration items list must also include personal UI tweaks at times!

And it's those times that I ask myself why the heck I chose this profession.... but here I am!

But that is also why "defaults" are such a good baseline. Everyone has the same "default" configuration on any given software or hardware configuration. No change items from that point or a very short list is an easier list of things to review, and potentially have to mitigate.

That reduction is quite variable, from the practically nonexistent to criminally negligent or malicious. But it's still a reduction.

Sorry, but my (or anyone's) choice of things like themes, desktop icon fonts, etc., do not constitute any reduction in security. It doesn't matter whether I keep the defaults or configure things like this to my own liking when it comes to security, at least in any meaningful sense of that word.

The less apps / icons, the better.

There is a huge difference between removing an actual app versus the desktop (or start menu) access to it.

I do the latter quite a bit. That leaves the apps/applications/OS features/whatever in place, but lying fallow.

Sorry, but my (or anyone's) choice of things like themes, desktop icon fonts, etc., do not constitute any reduction in security. It doesn't matter whether I keep the defaults or configure things like this to my own liking when it comes to security, at least in any meaningful sense of that word.
I agree, it's semantics. But I'm playing in a space now where those semantics actually matter.

Seriously, desktop icon locations is part of the inventory.

For home users? Yeah, it's a difference without a distinction. But in a high security or regulated environment, which icons are present vs what aren't can qualify as a denial of service condition!

Those icons can also be used to detect the presence of malware in some cases. Bonkers stuff!

Back