Anyone using windows server 2012 r2 essentials in Dental Office?

Just to add to the discussion with Dentrix. Dentrix up to G6.1 does not support 2012 R2 essentials officially. There is an issue with how the essentials role deals with the SQL Ace server and the daily backups. You can however, install the server, get the domain set up, and then uninstall the essential role from the essentials server, then install/migrate your Dentrix database to it. You lose the essential functionality, but you do save the $430 on the OS/cals. Which is a lot if you are working with a Dentist with only 2-3 operatories. Be sure to check on your backups when you're done that they are indeed running. Just to point out, I am talking about the Dentrix internal SQL backups that it does nightly. There are no 3rd party solutions that backup the Dentrix SQL database properly, so when you run 3rd party backups you are essentially backing up the built-in daily backup.

If there are only 2 operatories and less than 7-8 workstations total then a peer-to-peer environment is best. As long as you're using Dentrix authentication you'll be HIPAA compliant. We don't use Essentials with our clients. Micro offices get Windows Pro as a "server" and anything larger than 7 PC's total get Server Standard edition. Once Dentrix support finds out your using an "unsupported platform" they get standoffish about giving you any support. That said We are a Microsft SPLA license holder and if they are a managed services customer and we are in daily management of their server we have the right to use our SPLA license. Which is $$ (pretty inexpensive) per month per processor. We can charge hundreds less than retail over three years and make a profit. I recommend selling the license for $25 per mo. Here's the Product ID P73-04837, they still need to buy CAL's but that's the cheap part. Dentists pay $5000 for an x-ray sensor, they can fork out $1200 for a server license to get the job done right.

There are no 3rd party solutions that backup the Dentrix SQL database properly, so when you run 3rd party backups you are essentially backing up the built-in daily backup.

First I've heard of this. Dentrix uses SQL Anywhere (much like Eaglesoft) which is fully compatible with the SQL VSS writer. Full disk snapshots that are VSS aware can take safe backups of these databases. We've had to restore a few actually and it works flawlessly.

Last I checked, dentrix only adheres to the HIPPA guidelines at the server level. Every receptionist, DA, etc. will not enforce the compliance from their desktop office systems...

I have upgraded two dentist office servers so far this year. They both used dentrix and I loaded standard because that is what they required. It is only a couple hundred more. Just set them up the way the software they primarily use wants. And yes both offices are on a workgroup.

Hi,

Was wondering do you guys see any issues with running Windows Server 2016 Essentials with EagleSoft in regards to Hippa and backups?

Thanks

I just wrote a long message and now it is lost. So I am only going to highlight my finding with Dentrix. Some of this doesn't apply because this thread is so old, but I wanted to update as of today.

- Server 2019 Essentails is supported. I found MS documentation saying they removed the essentials service that Dentrix had problems with, though I feel they should update their software.

- Dentrix only supports a flat network(So 90's). They do not support systems not being on the same network as the server. Yes it will work but will have errors. Some service is still doing broadcast messages. Suck a joke, this should have been resolved years ago and with Cyber Security at an all time high, I cann't believe they haven't fixed their software. Segmentation is just one of the many things, but it is the foundation at which you should start.

I just wrote a long message and now it is lost. So I am only going to highlight my finding with Dentrix. Some of this doesn't apply because this thread is so old, but I wanted to update as of today.

- Server 2019 Essentails is supported. I found MS documentation saying they removed the essentials service that Dentrix had problems with, though I feel they should update their software.

- Dentrix only supports a flat network(So 90's). They do not support systems not being on the same network as the server. Yes it will work but will have errors. Some service is still doing broadcast messages. Suck a joke, this should have been resolved years ago and with Cyber Security at an all time high, I cann't believe they haven't fixed their software. Segmentation is just one of the many things, but it is the foundation at which you should start.

Wait, you put your workstations on a different subnet (or VLAN) than your servers? How does that work in a domain environment?

It works like the entire computing world for the past 15 plus years. NO business has the servers on the same network. In fact DMZ's have been around for a long time to prevent web servers that get attacked from then having direct access to your local LAN. I hope that this diagram helps you. The left side is general segmentation and the right side is vlan segmentation that EVERYONE should be using. But like I said Dentrix hasn't updated their software, some service is still using broadcasting which is no good.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/t...00/81652.ps/_jcr_content/renditions/81652.jpg

This explains broadcast, unicast and multicast traffic. Either way Dentrix should fix their software and get on board with modern Cyber/Network security which they currently do not.

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-broadcast-traffic.htm

If this doesn't answer your question, be more specific please. Vlanning(broadcast containers) have been around for a long time. You either use ACL's on routers or best case would be user a firewall.

Back