Anyone using windows server 2012 r2 essentials in Dental Office?

resolvetech

Reaction score
I know Dentirx, Softdent, and most dental software vendors want you to use 2008 r2 or 2012 r2 standard edition for their software (to be supported); however, Essentials makes more sense for most dental practices.

Questions:

1. Anyone have this in production? If so, using which dental software...

2. Does the vendor cry about it?

3. Have you ever set this up or std. edition using domain rather than workgroup? (another thing they cry about)

Our Dental clients are on SBS2011...with separate servers (08 or 12) for their apps. BUT..what I have found, with Server 12 Essentials...is even though some software vendor doesn't specifically state they support 12 Essentials...just check with them. To be honest...truth is...the ONLY difference with Server 12 Essentials, and Server Standard...is two things. *Licensing for amount of users, and *Server 12 Essentials puts the Essentials role in there for you..the remote portal and easy management console. But Server 12 Standard..you can install that Essentials role anyway (and many of us do...I install it on most of my clients servers...so they have that cool remote portal to use.

Doesn't that require RDS CALS?

No...it's not terminal server/remote desktop licensing, it's the newer version of the Remote Web Workplace portal that Small Business Server had. Allows remote/home users to go log into the server via their browser....https://<external URL> and they can use it to proxy a remote desktop client to log into their workstation (it runs TSGatway under the skin)...or browse the company server share files...upload/download files, etc.

No...it's not terminal server/remote desktop licensing, it's the newer version of the Remote Web Workplace portal that Small Business Server had. Allows remote/home users to go log into the server via their browser....https://<external URL> and they can use it to proxy a remote desktop client to log into their workstation (it runs TSGatway under the skin)...or browse the company server share files...upload/download files, etc.

Hmmm are you sure?

Finally, it is important to note that turning on the Essentials Experience role does not change the licensing terms for the edition that you purchased in any way. The most common question is around using the Remote Web Access feature of the Essentials Experience role. Because this feature makes use of the Remote Desktop Gateway role service of Remote Desktop Services (RDS), an RDS client access license (CAL) is required for each user who is using this feature with the Standard and Datacenter editions. However, for the Essentials edition, as with previous versions, the use of Remote Web Access does not require an RDS CAL. For more information, see this Licensing Brief.

Taken from http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/arch...indows-server-essentials-experience-role.aspx

Dentrix wants a workgroup? Have they not heard of HIPAA?

Agreed, which is why I like domains. But the two vendors that I work with are Dentrix and Carestream and when I talk to their techs on the phone they say its best to be in workgroup. Also, like to turn off UAC (which they don't need to do). They like to turn off firewalls and a/v sometime too like other software vendors. I just having had a chance to test these two using domain because I've inherited both of these customers which were setup by vendor.

The funniest was when I called the field tech for Dentrix who was the original installer and he told me workgroups, static ip and other hacks were standard "best practice" for them.

Our Dental clients are on SBS2011...with separate servers (08 or 12) for their apps. BUT..what I have found, with Server 12 Essentials...is even though some software vendor doesn't specifically state they support 12 Essentials...just check with them. To be honest...truth is...the ONLY difference with Server 12 Essentials, and Server Standard...is two things. *Licensing for amount of users, and *Server 12 Essentials puts the Essentials role in there for you..the remote portal and easy management console. But Server 12 Standard..you can install that Essentials role anyway (and many of us do...I install it on most of my clients servers...so they have that cool remote portal to use.

I agree with you YeOldeStonecat. I'll be asking the tech support before I spec out new server. Which dental software are your clients using? I read online that Dentrix has port conflict with Essentials because they both want to use port 6602. Sure there workarounds but I want to minimize those.

http://myvoice.dentrix.com/forums/1.../5219758-server-2012-essentials-compatibility

Well looky there...first article I've seen that hints at an RDS User CAL for anyone proxying to their desktop. That stinks. Assuming you don't need it for the access anywhere browser file upload/download access, but sucks to find the RDP proxy requires additional licensing.

I had used their Technet intro blogs like this one....to learn you could add it to standard server and use it.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/matthewm...12-r2-essentials-experience-step-by-step.aspx

Well, thanks for pointing that one out. Time to revisit the clients I have on it..luckily they're all non profits that have this so techsoup licensing for a just a couple-a-bucks.

Note: No RDS CALs are required for up to two users to access instances of the server software for administration purposes.

This is from the http://download.microsoft.com/downl...rver-2012-R2-RDS-and-Desktop-Apps-for-RDS.pdf

No...it's not terminal server/remote desktop licensing...
Remote Desktop Services (formerly known as Terminal Services) accelerates and extends desktop and application deployments to any device, improving remote worker efficiency...in addition to a Windows Server Client Access License (CAL) (acquired either standalone or through Microsoft Core CAL Suite or Microsoft Enterprise CAL Suite), you must acquire a Windows Server 2012 RDS CAL for each user or device that (i) directly or indirectly accesses any of the RDS functionality and/or (ii) directly or indirectly accesses the server software to interact with a graphical user interface (GUI) using RDS functionality or any other third-party technology.

I somehow get alot of dental clients. I have 3 using dentrix. 2 using eaglesoft. 1 using PBSendo.

2 of the larger Dentrix clients (20-25 computers) are using 2008 r2 standard in a workgroup. (Both on managed services. Rarely hear from them with issues...They have a support contract with the Software. I usually just stop by to chat with the office managers.)
The 3rd Dentrix client (10 computers) is running 2008 standard with domain. (On managed services.I have had no issues with dentrix not supporting anything.) I have already quoted him for replacing server with 2012 and i am going to keep the domain setup, not going to workgroup.

I usually do standard in hyper v . Best practices is to virtualize everything so just do standard 2012.
Raid10 with was.

I have ez dental, Dentrix and eaglesoft clients

I usually do standard in hyper v . Best practices is to virtualize everything so just do standard 2012.
Raid10 with was.

I have ez dental, Dentrix and eaglesoft clients

Virtualize everything? None of my the 2 dozen servers I manage are virtualized. Am i missing something by not virtualizing? I just have standard servers, everything imaged and backed up to the cloud.

Virtualize everything? None of my the 2 dozen servers I manage are virtualized. Am i missing something by not virtualizing? I just have standard servers, everything imaged and backed up to the cloud.
You're not necessarily missing anything if what you have is working for you/your clients. Virtualizing allows you to add new VM's to the host as needed if needs change. Much easier and quicker than buying a new physical server if the need for a new machine arises and the host server has the horsepower to spare.

I somehow get alot of dental clients. I have 3 using dentrix. 2 using eaglesoft. 1 using PBSendo.

2 of the larger Dentrix clients (20-25 computers) are using 2008 r2 standard in a workgroup. (Both on managed services. Rarely hear from them with issues...They have a support contract with the Software. I usually just stop by to chat with the office managers.)
The 3rd Dentrix client (10 computers) is running 2008 standard with domain. (On managed services.I have had no issues with dentrix not supporting anything.) I have already quoted him for replacing server with 2012 and i am going to keep the domain setup, not going to workgroup.

That's been my experience with Dentrix once its tweaked out properly. That is great feedback esp. on the domain stuff. I wish I had gotten to my present Dentrix client before Henry Schein got to them so I could have put them on a domain. Nevertheless, everything runs well in the workgroup for now.

I have run into issues with Essentials not being compatible with LOB software that are not able to use anything other than the default iis website. Essentials uses the default site within its features, and keeps the files in a different location than a standard iis role.

I have a small office with 5 workstations, and a 2012 R2 Foundations box, to make it worse its OEM! They are using this as an interim solution until they go to cloud...

Anyhow they use Eaglesoft and if memory serves correctly, Eaglesoft does not support Essentials.

I have two dental clients who use Eaglesoft and we have them on Essentials. We even asked their support prior to deploying it and they said it was OK. Ironically, their website specifically mentions them supporting Foundations which I believe has now been phased out? We've had zero problems with it.

We support a dental office using R4, it seems pretty standard and the domain doesn't seem to be important to it. The server shares up the R4 with the database and then R4 client is installed on all other machines (most of which aren't on the domain) and they just connect in fine. I imagine it would run on essentials without issue. There are 10 client machines in this office.

I have two dental clients who use Eaglesoft and we have them on Essentials. We even asked their support prior to deploying it and they said it was OK. Ironically, their website specifically mentions them supporting Foundations which I believe has now been phased out? We've had zero problems with it.

I'm not surprised at all, the way Eaglesoft works in a network environment is pretty simple. Reminds me of QuickBooks. But simply put- if it isn't on the compatibility list of your LOB software, I am not going to install it for you unless there is a really damn good reason! This client also runs DEXIS and I think they had the same OS recommendations. Essentials really is a great deal so it is hard to turn down.

Back