Anyone here do iPhone/iPad repairs? Care to share parts suppliers?

tstegart

Reaction score
I'm going to start doing iPhone/iPad and Mac repairs. I'll mainly be using iFixit, for the smaller parts because I like their mission and my local market can handle the added price because its a little upscale.

But I'm having problems finding a reputable source for screens and LCDs. An iFixit price for a new display assembly is over $120 for an iPhone 4S. That's just the part. The college shop a few towns away is replacing the entire thing while you wait for $64.

I like to put nice parts in and all, but I'm not sure I can even compete with that, and its the most requested repair. Does anyone have a cheaper supplier they're willing to share that they have actually gotten parts from (not just heard about from someone who knows someone)?

There were actually, but quite a few were stale and I wanted to have a chance to quiz people about the parts quality :) Can I ask which parts do you buy from the above two you mentioned?

IPad digitizers, IPhone digi/LCD, the plastic iPad frame if needed or the wireless antenna that the DIY'ers always tear when they remove there own screen. Any phone or tablet part that we need. I think TGP has better quality parts, I have only received one dead digitizer from them out of ummmm a lot, WGP is a few bucks cheaper but I seem to have more doa failures or partally working digitizers from them. Maybe it's my imagination (for all I know they could get them from the same place) but TGP seem better quality in my experience. Both are very easy to RMA, matter of fact did one today with WGP. Simply fill out the contact form and they get back to you in a couple of hours, WGP sends me the new part and asks that I return the doa one after I've gotten the new one. They pay the shipping for the new part too. TGP always seems to be out of what ever parts I need to stock up on, so WGP is my second choice but I'm happy with both. Based on their prices we do the IPad 1 & 2 digitizers for 100$, the 3 125$. IPhone 4 screens for 80$. I'd say that's about middle of the road for my location. I don't bother buying the pre cut adhesive for the IPad 2 or 3, just grab a 25' foot 3m roll. Lay it out along the pad and trim with an exacto knife. The IPhone screens come with the pre cut already.

I use to provide these services but I now contract them out to a business who has a 24 hour turnaround on repairs, I did this for these reasons:

1. Even when I purchased from the same supplier the parts were not always the same. My biggest issue was that some new screens would not sit evenly on the body of the iPods and iPads.

2. I found that keeping parts in stock was getting to expensive.

3. The partner provides a 12 month warranty on all repairs.

I now package the item and send if off registered express post to my repair partner and I get the repaired item back the next day. I don't make a lot of money out of it, but I have much less hassles and I keep my customers.

1. Even when I purchased from the same supplier the parts were not always the same. My biggest issue was that some new screens would not sit evenly on the body of the iPods and iPads.
Good observation, I've picked up a lot of digitizer replacements from vendors who have trouble getting them flat on the 2 & 3. I see that mostly with the IPod touch 4th gen. Never had that problem with an IPhone yet. I do see that with the IPads a lot but I found that the outer metal casings are slightly dented which then misshapes the soft platic frame on the IPad 2 & 3. Smetimes they are so slight they are hard to even see. On many of them I've got to slightly reshape the dent or use a utility knife to trim the plastic frame a bit, then they sit flat. It is an extra pain to deal with but if you lay the digitizer down with out the adhesive you should be able to identify the areas in need, which are almost always the corners. It can be tricky, a heat gun is a must for sliding the digitizer even a couple of mm if you stick it down out of place.

The biggest problem I've had is the ribbon on the digitizer causing the screen not to sit flat in the frame. Anyone else had this problem?

Yes, you've got to slide it into the curvature of the case as much as possible. I keep the digitizer 90 deg to the frame with the left side seated nicely in the frames crook. Use you right hand to slide the ribbon past the LCD so it contours in the curvature of the frame. I had to practice this with the LCD removed and no adhesive. With the LCD out you can see the ribbon clear thru the digitizer. As you lay it flat push the ribbon with your finger you'll see what I mean.

Thanks guys! There's a wealth of information here and I really appreciate it. Thanks for the parts store recommendations as well, its great to know people use places and have had good success.
Tom

Back