An HP from hell...

kamo287

Reaction score
Original model: HP P6751c (specs listed below have been upgrade from base model)
AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.8GHz
8GB DDR3
1TB HDD
2 Multi-DVD Drives
card reader
eSATA PCIex1 card
600W Powersupply

Onboard Radeon HD 4200

LINK TO HP SITE FOR COMPUTER

LINK TO MOTHERBOARD

-------------------------

ISSUE:

There is one PCIex16 slot where i want to install a working (tested)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1GB)

The onboard graphics can not be disabled through BIOS. there is no option listed.

Computer would not boot regularly with both cards active. Through safemode it would randomly freeze at atipcie64.sys

finally when getting into safemood (randomly worked). Both video cards are listed in device manager. I have seen this before so i disabled the 4200 through windows. Installed the driver pack from ATI for the 5770 and restarted.

Now upon restarting. I am not in safemode and it loaded normally in a 800-600 window using the onboard card still.

I have an HDMI cable from the 5770 to the monitor and a VGA from onboard to monitor. No matter what and how long i wait the motherboard will not activate the 5770 at all through the HDMI

Even with the 4200 disabled it still uses it in low res-low color mode. WITH A PERFECTLY WORKING 5770 installed and ready to go according to windows.

After trying to mess with some drivers i uninstalled the 5770 and reinstalled it (drivers) and upon restarting i got an ATI error "ATI driver is not installed or functioning" and i've almost had it...

Am i fighting a driver battle? not to mention that the BIOS already is garbage because there is no disable function what am i missing??? No sleep until i figure this out

Ideas and tips would be great!

Appreciate it

Somone on the HP forum claims that HP has a lot of compatibility issues with ATI...

can someone confirm this with me? I have always used ATI with all the HPs i have worked with.

man it could be possible that the power supply might be causing that issue or a bad pci slot I have seen cause frustrating issues like that.

try new power supply or another card to see if the slot works....

hope that helps

Also, HP may have a firmware bug to do with hardware allocation: check for updates, and turn unused stuff of in BIOS. Check for dip-switch or even jumper for built-in video.

Bear in mind manufactured machines with built-in video will NOT be designed to take serious video cards: so you might be SOL because of bugs, or it might be a simply power-supply lack-of-grunt issue.

The power supply could well be the culprit. A test bed HP that I put a discrete graphics card in only had 35 watts available supposedly. Putting in a small 30 watt GPU worked well, but the PSU needed replacing within 6 months. That may have been a coincidence, but I wouldn't like to take a bet on it.

Thanks

I tried a few different power supplies 450-600-800W all worked fine in other machines but none in this one while PCIe card was installed

- i tried a different ATI card (also PCIe 2.1) and it did not work

an other PCIe 1.0 card was testing and it worked (ATI)

Even with the ATI 5770 being backwards compatible it seems the problem is the board does not like it

I am recommending they change motherboards.

found this great deal on newegg today for them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138318

Thanks for all putting heads together- no success story here! Maybe next time

HP motherboard fail

I know with some HPs, they won't take ANY ati/amd cards! My own hp media center PC, I could not get a HD5450 or HD5670 working at ALL. Computer won't even POST with an ATI/AMD card (fans just spin up). But, an Nvidia 6200 and a 9800GT work fine.

exactly what was happening. with multiple power supplies -

the motherboard was listed as 2AB1 foxconn - and that MB doesnt really exist- and some specs i could get on it dont have any BIOS upgrade or firmware

seems like HP just got a custom board made for them and then dont support it much

exactly what was happening. with multiple power supplies -

the motherboard was listed as 2AB1 foxconn - and that MB doesnt really exist- and some specs i could get on it dont have any BIOS upgrade or firmware

seems like HP just got a custom board made for them and then dont support it much

A common problem with OEM machines. It makes it more tempting to stick to building your own :)

Back