adding dhcp role to sbs 2003

Pants

Reaction score
When I set up SBS 2003 a couple weeks ago, I opted to not use the built in DHCP server. But now I want to use it and I cannot figure out how to add the role. Server Management console does not show anything about adding roles.

dhcpwiz.exe runs but nothing comes up on screen.

Last edited:
When I set up SBS 2003 a couple weeks ago, I opted to not use the built in DHCP server. .

Why would you opt not to use the DHCP service of a domain controller? It's important, helps keep active directory "tighter".

Assuming this is just a "sandbox" learn project, and not a box in production for a client (since SBS03 will be no longer be supported in a few months). ...one way is to just go to control panel, add/remove programs...and add/remove Windows Components. drill down through those layers..have the install media present.

Back with SBS03, during the install, if it detected an existing DHCP service on the network the server is being installed on, it will not install the DHCP role. So the correct way to build SBS03 was to built it on a network without DHCP running, I'd stick it behind a router for the build, with the LAN side of the router set to the IP range of the network this server would be installed at (matching the clients network).

Why would you opt not to use the DHCP service of a domain controller? It's important, helps keep active directory "tighter".

I wanted to be able to use my network without having the server on. I hate having to turn on the server just to browse the Internet from one of my regular computers. But instead, I just put 2003 on another vlan and decided to use the built in DHCP server, and have my other peer to peer computers running on another vlan with dhcp from the router. I guess I could use static addressing on my non domain computers.

Assuming this is just a "sandbox" learn project, and not a box in production for a client (since SBS03 will be no longer be supported in a few months). ...one way is to just go to control panel, add/remove programs...and add/remove Windows Components. drill down through those layers..have the install media present.

I checked add/remove programs/ components... It didn't show "dhcp" anywhere in the list. Do I have to disable the dhcp server on the router, for the option to show up?

I gave up trying to get dhcp installed, I just started the installation of sbs again and opting to install dhcp for the server. :(

I checked "server manager".. SBS doesn't seem to have "adding roles" as a wizard. That one of the reasons I posted.

I didn't see any options to expand the menus under add/remove components either.. They were all check boxes.. check if you want , uncheck if you don't want

Oh, reason I'm sandboxing 2003 for learning purposes... Don't you think it's gonna be around a while after support ends for it? I can take much of what I learned from 2003...basic principles and such, and move them over to 2008 and 2011, with minimal learning curve, and still be ready to take on older servers with stubborn clients who don't want to change.

Last edited:
03, you have to go old school. Add/remove programs, add Windows components.

Expand network services in component wizard. Make sure dns is installed and configured.

Last edited:
Is it normal for SBS 2003 to give out its own IP address as the default gateway for the network? Under IPCONFIG /ALL it shows:

Gateway: 10.128.0.3
............. 10.128.0.1

Its showing the server's IP and the router's IP (.....0.1)

edit: nevermind... A server reboot took care of it...Now it's showing only the .0.1 as gateway, which is what I want.

Last edited:
SBS will show a NIC as the gateway if you've run CEICW with dual NICs. Back in those days people often used SBS with dual NICs....either using the native server version of ICS (RRAS)....or with SBS Premium with ISA (the new version of Proxy Server). If you didn't use those (I generally stayed away from them preferring a router instead) the best practice was to disable all but 1x NIC as soon as plain Server was installed but before continuing on with SBS Setup.

SBS will show a NIC as the gateway if you've run CEICW with dual NICs. Back in those days people often used SBS with dual NICs....either using the native server version of ICS (RRAS)....or with SBS Premium with ISA (the new version of Proxy Server). If you didn't use those (I generally stayed away from them preferring a router instead) the best practice was to disable all but 1x NIC as soon as plain Server was installed but before continuing on with SBS Setup.

I get it... Thanks. I've got the sbs box connected to the router with a wireless nic, but there is also the built-in nic on the motherboard.

I did run the CEICW...I was having a lot of problems connecting to Internet and it turned out that I should have ran Windows update first. :eek:

Last edited:
I think I know what happened with dhcp. The first time I installed SBS, my usb DVD drive kept getting disabled and it disrupted the installation process. On the second time I reinstalled SBS to fix the dhcp problem, I had to keep messing with the drive to make it work and couldn't get dhcp software to install.... It turns out that the USB ports I was using on the front of the machine were causing a problem, so I switched to using the ports directly on the motherboard on back of the pc, and for a THIRD time, I reinstalled SBS and that took care of the problem getting dhcp to show up.

Last edited:
Back