Acer wifi odd issue.

frase

Reaction score
First I had seen of this problem, I have an Acer Aspire ES 15 Model ES1-523-41EW.

The issue is the Wi-Fi, it will not recognise a clients SSID, any other devices pickup the router except this laptop.
I bought it back to the office and no problem found my network and connected.

Have tried uninstall driver
Used a Wi-Fi adapter
Changed Wireless Mode
Reset Router.

I usually try a new user account. If no joy, I load a spare SSD with a clean install. I do not even try the Linux route because if the Linux route works I will be doing a clean install anyway. Kills 2 birds.

I presume your laptop found the wifi at the client's house.... If the other tips don't help, I might temporarily change the security level of the wifi to see if that helps? How old is the router?

This is a 5-yr-old low-budget laptop, but if it sees your wifi at the office, something's working.

While oddly enough Acer did make a quite a few decent biz model laptops (since they bought up Texas Instruments laptop division), their resi models leave a lot to be desired.

I'm almost sure you'll find the wireless NIC on that to be an Atheros based one. I've said quite a few times on this forum...if you have an Atheros wireless NIC....put on your sneakers and run...run away. You run into issues with those that just baffle you. Much easier to just grab some low profile USB wireless NIC and disable the Atheros.

Can you go into the IPV4 properties and static the local IP and gateway while setting the DNS servers? I've seen a few machines lately like you describe that I've had to manually tweak. Seems the problems happened after Windows Updates.

Using Generic Windows Updat driver or specific Acer driver from http://support.acer.com? Usualy Acer posts updates as they fix issues.

There have been so many ownership changes for these companies that it's hard to really locate anything but OEM drivers. Some companies like Realtek do give generic drivers for some devices. But Qualcom, who owns Atheros, doesn't.

Back