[SOLVED] Acer Aspire V5 UEFi ( Changed To Legacy ) Cannot Boot Up

Reaction score
Alright so i received this Acer Aspire V5 windows 8.1 machine in the shop this morning It was noted that it was running really slow and had popups ( normal malware issue ) I started up the computer held shift and reset to boot into the Windows 8 boot settings ( selected boot to UEFI settings so I could change the BIOS to boot to USB since selecting that option in the Windows boot selection failed. So again I select boot to UEFI and it does so, inside the BIOS I change it to legacy it asks to restart t o take affect (DONE I plug in my PC Doctor USB and it loads right up to booting off the USB. Run The hardware tests everything passes ( I go and pull out the USB and restart ( and it just keeps doing a boot loop ( it will not load back into the BIOS ( F2) and it just comes up to the screen saying Operating System Not Found ) this is because it keeps trying to look for a USB but i cannot change it because I am unable to load the BIOS back up.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

I had to take out the hard drive, and toss in a tester drive, install windows back on it ( or you could do WinPE ) and flash the BIOS ( this reset it back to UEFI

Last edited:
Try holding or mashing (can't remember which) the Esc key on boot. I'm fairly sure that I had the same model and came to the same problem as you.

Try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then put it back in and fire the machine up. It should change the BIOS settings back to default and hopefully you'll be able to boot from the HDD.

Anything to make our jobs harder! I thought all these changes were done with the intentions of security/viruses, etc.

Well, they failed! I see as many infections on newer machines as on older ones. Except newer ones are more difficult to fix.

It might just be me, but IMHO, this has become a real PITA.

Rant over!

If I remember correctly, Acer is one of those OEM's that make you actually HIT the key as it's starting up. You've gotta be fast. Might take a few times of hitting F2 as quickly as you can at startup, failing, manually powering off, then trying again to get it to work. Infuriated the heck out of me the first time I got an Acer system in using UEFI. With HP's, Dell's, etc. all you have to do is hold the setup key as it starts up to get into setup. You might also have to hold down Fn and F2. The instant it turns on, hold down Fn, then hit F2 as quickly as you can. Make sure it turns on before you start holding down Fn. It will work eventually.

If I remember correctly, Acer is one of those OEM's that make you actually HIT the key as it's starting up. You've gotta be fast. Might take a few times of hitting F2 as quickly as you can at startup, failing, manually powering off, then trying again to get it to work. Infuriated the heck out of me the first time I got an Acer system in using UEFI. With HP's, Dell's, etc. all you have to do is hold the setup key as it starts up to get into setup. You might also have to hold down Fn and F2. The instant it turns on, hold down Fn, then hit F2 as quickly as you can. Make sure it turns on before you start holding down Fn. It will work eventually.

nope, not in this case, the only work around is to reflash the BIOS, there is not even a cmos battery trick or pin shortage that you can do to reset this one. - I was seriously racking my brain to get this to work ( thank you ADHD ) hyperfocus engage!!

Back