3d printed gun fires successfully

Neat.. kinda being overblown I think. I mean, is it all accurate? Can it fire more than one bullet without reloading, or at all?

I think the real issue is they can make it and don't have to pass any background checks to do so. Along with if its made of some type of plastic it won't set off metal detectors possibly. I think it's more of the now anyone can make one thing that's scaring people.

it's actually pretty scary.

How long will it be before local pizza tech store offering - PC & Laptop repair, mobile phone unlocking, and untraceable firing plastic guns.all for 5 bucks :D

After all even if it a 1 shot affair it still enough to cause damage if hits the target and nice easy evidence melted in fire afterwards :mad:

On plus side criminals will be easy spotted they will be the ones with one hand missing after pizza tech 3d-printed gun has backfired & blown up and removed their hands in the process :D:D:D:D

We're seeing what makes it to the media.

You KNOW there's had to have been already many successful jobs done by people that were smart and simply kept it quiet.

The more common 3d printers making it to the media are using the more basic plastic. I'm sure there are at least 2 or 3 people out there in the world that have the smarts to adapt the 3d printer tech to a unit that can work with harder composite stock and make a churn out a stronger gun...their own "home made Glock".

I made my first gun in 1986. Used a broken swine stunner, a roofing nail, and 2 eye hooks. Would fire a .22 caliber bullet.

This really isn't news more than media crap.
This gun is made from polymer - my S&W M&P9 is made from polymer.
This gun was made at home (sort of) - Any hillbilly can make a gun at home.

The fact is, there are laws on the books that make the production of the gun (that is being discussed here) completely illegal. The Undetectable Firearms Act.
Which is why the gun in the story and the gun being discussed, doesn't actually exist.

And the linked store is missing quite a bit of info on it.
The gun is made of Polymer, not ABS plastic as in the article.
The gun has MORE metal in it than just a nail. An additional 6oz of steel was embedded in the gun. Else the day this story went live (which was May 3) the ATF would be beating down his door.

Yet another blog, yet another mishmash of leaving out the facts to make room for stupid jokes.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing what the big deal is really. Most guns throughout history were first designed by some tinkerer at home. Years ago, when I was into paint ball pretty heavy, my friends and I started making our own paint balls. For fun, and because we were kids and a little stupid and sadistic, we decided to fill some random balls with a mixture containing finely ground cayenne pepper. Now, every law enforcement agency in the world uses these. We also made napalm just for the hell of it, and potato guns (one of which took out a window and embedded a projectile in a wall). I built a battle bot weighing close to two hundred pounds with a flame thrower that shot 40 feet.

So now, someone with a maker bot, or similar, made a plastic gun. Big deal. I'm not near as worried about that person as I am the enterprising person who figures out how to make an untraceable uzi in a machine shop and sell it to thugs. Most guns are not particularly complicated. That's why you have smiths all over the USA, Canada, Australia, the UK, etc. who have been making firearms in their backyard machine shops for a long time. Most of them are licensed and totally legit. But what of the ones who are totally off the grid?

Really, I just wish the media would focus their attention where it might actually matter. In all this gun mania and fear mongering the media has been involved in, why haven't they been focusing on the gang bangers in south Chicago or the cartels killing people in Laredo and El Paso? Nobody in their right mind will go out and enjoy the river or lakes along our southern border because they might catch a bullet that was fired from across the border. And none in the mainstream press even bother to mention this stuff.

Really, I just wish the media would focus their attention where it might actually matter. In all this gun mania and fear mongering the media has been involved in, why haven't they been focusing on the gang bangers in south Chicago or the cartels killing people in Laredo and El Paso? Nobody in their right mind will go out and enjoy the river or lakes along our southern border because they might catch a bullet that was fired from across the border. And none in the mainstream press even bother to mention this stuff.

Because those gang bangers and drug dealers don't go into our schools and shoot all our children before covering themselves with jell-o and raping our puppies and hamsters like your average gun owner does!!!
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Actually, as much as I dislike movie quotes - this one sort of answers your question:
Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that like a gang banger, will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it’s all, part of the plan.

I'm not going to argue the gun ownership issue. I am, however, fascinated by 3D printing and the cultural issues that may arise if it becomes a widespread and every-day technology. The "printable gun" idea is a common one raised when talking about the increasing accessability of 3D printing. Defense Distributed has taken this from theoretical to practical in a very public way.

This really isn't news more than media crap.

I'm not seeing what the big deal is really. Most guns throughout history were first designed by some tinkerer at home.

The big deal is that the barrier to entry has just been lowered substantially. Previously, to make your own firearm, you have to have a certain level of skill. Now, all you need is access to a 3D printer and a downloadable design file.

It still takes considerable skill. How many times have you been called to fix a printer only to find it was out of ink? Add to that the complexity of a 3-d printer, the cad software, etc., this is not as simple as printing out a financial report.

It still takes considerable skill. How many times have you been called to fix a printer only to find it was out of ink? Add to that the complexity of a 3-d printer, the cad software, etc., this is not as simple as printing out a financial report.

Yes, but it now takes considerably less skill than it did previously. And, as 3D printers become more common, the barrier to entry gets lower still. A friend of mine in Nova Scotia just let me know that his local public library now has a Makerbot Replicator 2 available to all card holders (and I am extremely jealous). The library's staff take care of the printing system; all he has to do is throw an STL file on a USB stick and head to the library to make his object.

It's not paper-printing easy yet... but it will be. The "undetectable guns" issue is certainly going to rate high on the hysteria meter, but there are a whole host of issues around ubiquitous manufacturing that we need to sort out. Personally, I can't wait for the perfect triad of 3D scanner, 3D printer and plastic recycling device to become feasible for me to own. ;)

And here comes the crackdown...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/05/09/technology-3d-printed-gun-crackdown.html

Despite the takedown, the plans are not difficult to get, and the US government has kicked the Streisand Effect into high gear. Expect many more self-promoting security experts and commentators to crawl out of the woodwork in the meantime.

My money is that the takedown was not due to anything safety related, but rather some hefty monetary lobbying by the big firearm makers.

These guys made this as a proof of concept based on hobby/line-of-work. Just like we techs try to build computers out of fish tanks, pizza boxes, etc.
Still, this whole thing is F.U.D being used politically somehow now.

You can make a zip gun out of a maglite in 30 minutes with nothing but basic tools a mechanic would have in his garage. People have been doing that for years - easier and cheaper than 3D printed guns, and highly concealable. But no word of that in the media circus.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. No gangbanger is going to have a 3D printer sitting around. Also a person with average intelligence could weld something better together in an afternoon with junk laying around the house. Lets not make this about gun control. This is about the Gov controlling and regulating every aspect of our lives.

Back