Zix | Appriver to be acquired by OpenText

HCHTech

Reaction score
It seems like the ink must still be wet from the Zix acquisition of Appriver back in January of 2019, and now we have another one. As a customer, I have to admit that only positive things happened after Zix showed up - I hope this one goes as smoothly.

================
Zix | AppRiver Enters Definitive Agreement to be Acquired by OpenText
We are excited to announce that Zix | AppRiver has entered a definitive agreement to be acquired by OpenText. We are confident this transaction aligns with our mission to make cyber security and resiliency simple and reliable, and supports our growth strategy moving forward.

Together, we have the resources to innovate and scale, which will enhance the services we can provide to our customers.

OpenText is a leader in Information Management, helping companies securely capture, govern and exchange information on a global scale. They are based in Waterloo, Canada and have 35 locations worldwide and more than 500,000 customers with over 17,000 MSP partners.

Today’s announcement is just the first step in the process and we have made a number of resources available to you for more information.
Customer FAQ
Press Release
Website Updates

We look forward to continuing to serve you as a loyal Zix | AppRiver customer and will share more information about this acquisition on our website, via email and through your Account Executive over the coming months.

I liked Appriver back in the day. I resold some of their spam filtering services way back then, think it was called "SecureTide" or something like that. If I recall, they were based out of Florida....or at least the team of guys I talked to were there. Their "head server guys" were easy to talk to to discuss things....like the guy who was in charge of their filtering service.

Years later when O365 first came out, signed up with them for reselling, but then Microsoft opened up some BETA program we got invited for which eventually turned into the CSP program.

Pretty much stopped doing things with them over 15 years ago.

I spoke at Opentext's conference in Vegas a few years ago. They definitely seem to be taking security seriously. They even had ex-FBI director James Comey speak.

That said, they also acquired Guidance Software's EnCase software a few years back and since then it's gone completely downhill as they just have not been helpful with keeping it on the cutting edge of forensics. EnCase used to be the gold standard - now it's a joke in the industry.

Here's hoping they can change my perception of them with AppRiver, which is a fantastic service currently.

I've tried reaching out to AppRiver several times and never got anywhere with the sales team. They seem to want to keep everything they do and how much it costs a secret. The last time was about 2 months ago and it took four weeks and contact from two different people to barely get a "5% below CSP" for Microsoft 365 services. I gave up after that.

it took four weeks and contact from two different people to barely get a "5% below CSP" for Microsoft 365 services.
You don't sign up with AppRiver to beat Microsoft prices. You pay a bit extra and you get their management, and more importantly, their support. I've never once had to call Microsoft for any of my M365 clients. I call AppRiver and they figure out the problem, including opening tickets with Microsoft when necessary. We haven't had a ton of problems where this bit came into plan, but it's not zero, and I love having a responsive tech team who I can understand at the other end of the phone. Definitely worth it for me. I sure hope Opentext doesn't ruin them.

Back