XP MSSE issues this morning

Moltuae

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
Getting inundated with calls from people still running an XP/MSSE combination this morning.

Seems like a messed up update to Security Essentials. The Microsoft Antimalware Service service is crashing continuously and crippling XP.

The only solution seems to be to uninstall MSSE.

Anyone else seeing this?

I've not had any calls over this, but is removing msse on a xp machine not a bad thing?, considering that xp are not supporting it?

Good to hear your busy mate. I'm slower than a snail on speed this week. :(

Still gives me time to do the other things needed, ie book keeping, seo on my site, blogging etc. All the other mundane things just don't get time to complete lol.

Same issues here. MSE causing computers to freeze/lockup shortly after boot. Been having to reboot in safe mode, disable the Microsoft Antimalware service, reboot, and uninstall. Must be a bad update.

Im currently sitting at a dental office trying to troubleshoot why all of their computers are just straight broke, it felt like Microsoft just said "U RUN XP? F U BUY WIN8"

Logged onto reddit and TN to see if there was something going on ... thanks msse

The fix for me for all those who need it was to boot up in safe mode ... remove MSE from msconfig and disable the Microsoft Anti-Malware Service ... reboot and uninstall

Well, over 12 hours later, I'm still working my way through some of these. Can't complain though, it's all billable!

Totally disrupted my plans for the day though.

Had a number of panic fixes this morning, which included a couple of retail stores with about 15 POS PC terminals that suddenly decided to stop working in front of queues of customers! Annoyingly, these systems are all running XP Embedded POSReady 2009 too, which is supposed to have extended MS support until 2019!

And funnily enough ....
Im currently sitting at a dental office trying to troubleshoot why all of their computers are just straight broke
.... a dental practice is what I'm presently sorting out. They only have about 5 XP machines remaining (which were due to be replaced very soon), but this one is a bit of a pain because the dental software they use has a history of not playing too nicely with most AV software. Getting it to work reliably in the past involved much trial and error and the addition of a number of AV/Firewall exclusions. I've replaced most other MSE installations with Bitdefender today, but for this one Avira seems to be the most suitable, hopefully ...

This morning, for many of the crippled systems, I simply uninsulated MSE just to minimise the down-time and the impact on my day's appointments. Once I got back, I began installing the alternative AV software on them all.

One thing that I must say was very useful this morning was ScreenConnect. I've only recently switched to using this software and the command line feature came in very handy! I was able to uninstall MSE without disturbing staff by simply pasting the following command into each unattended session connection:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Setup.exe" /x /s
(silently UN-installs MSE without having to start a remote session).

Last edited:
Glad I was not the only one who saw this issue. Only one of my clients got bitten by it. I wasn't able to remotely fix it. ScreenConnect was acting wonky. MSSE service finally killed itself off after multiple reboots by the client. I got there in the late afternoon and found MSSE turned off. Ran the update in MSSE. It crashed. Ran the update again and it seemed to install a definition from 8:47am this morning correctly. Turned on MSSE and that seemed good. Rebooted for good measure. Seemed good. Ran a quick scan and it passed. I noticed some errors in the Event Logs about MSSE Filter Driver or something to that affect was turned off or outdated. The errors went away after the definition update got installed.

I wasn't able to remotely fix it. ScreenConnect was acting wonky.

I had the same problem; the systems were too unstable and slow to connect to.

Un-installing MSSE using ScreenConnect's command-line feature worked great though. It still took a few minutes for the command to complete on some systems, but since there was no interaction required, I didn't have to wait for it.

Now I just need a way to silently install an alternative via command-line ....

Last edited:
I'm treating these as a full virus clean. The few machines that have come in so far with this issue also have junkware, browser redirects or changed home pages, lots of outdated stuff, etc. So if they come in like this I do the full virus clean, all updates, new free AV, etc.

Good to hear your busy mate. I'm slower than a snail on speed this week. :(

Still gives me time to do the other things needed, ie book keeping, seo on my site, blogging etc. All the other mundane things just don't get time to complete lol.

Had a few of these. Pisser is that for some of these customers, MSSE was my own recommendation - back when MSSE was mediocre and not the stink pile it is today. So I get to have that conversation with them as well. Actually just one of them questioned me about it, but it always feels like more when something I suggested goes south.

I haven't had any issues uninstalling though.

With the end of support and now this, I have seen more XP machines in the last month than I care to remember. I am pretty well sick of XP now. I can only hope I feel the same way about win7 in a decade or so.

Had one today; the computer wouldn't even boot to desktop properly in Normal mode, just froze up.

So, booted into Safe Mode, disabled MSE related services and startup items, rebooted back into normal mode, and uninstalled. Bitdefender free took its place, and seems to be running great so far. :)

Back