Windows log in blank with movable mouse pointer

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I have recently had a laptop come to me with a virus that disables logging into Windows 7. It loads through to the login screen yet no user icon & password field is present, ctrl-alt-del does not work but I have a mouse pointer that moves.

Methods I have tried:
  • Safe mode, and the same thing occurs.
  • Safe mode with command prompt, BSOD after windows logo screen.
  • Repair my computer boot option, same as when safe mode.
  • Repair from DVD, same thing.
  • HitmanPro kickstart, BSODs (as far as I remember, or it shows the empty login screen)
  • Kaspersky bootable, finds partitions yet the scan fails at around 33% each time.

So I slaved hdd to another healthy machine, the recovery partition is found but the data (windows files, user data) partition is inaccessible, or will hang when double clicking the drive. Disk management hangs when trying to load the drives and the whole system runs very slowly when the drive is attached. I have tried to scan the visible, yet inaccessible DATA partition with MSE but MSE crashes with an error code (will add here later).

I have kind of lost hope recovering this little bessie. Si I am going to try to recover the DATA partition using Ubuntu USB disk and reformat that partition.

Can you guys spot something(s) I have missed?

Any help would be great as I don't like these things to beat me.

John

Are you sure there isn't a hard drive problem? I would rule that out first.

^^^^ this. First thing would be to STOP trying to browse or mount the drive. Image it with DDRescue or something that doesn't need Windows and can ignore bad sectors etc (like an Acronis boot CD). Once you have your data safe then and only then try running the drive manufacturers diagnostics etc.

Stop now

So I slaved hdd to another healthy machine, the recovery partition is found but the data (windows files, user data) partition is inaccessible, or will hang when double clicking the drive. Disk management hangs when trying to load the drives and the whole system runs very slowly when the drive is attached. I have tried to scan the visible, yet inaccessible DATA partition with MSE but MSE crashes with an error code (will add here later).

Seems to me the disk has already been trying to tell you several times that there's a problem but you've been ignoring it. :eek:

Stop. Image. Work with the image.

What was the BSOD? BSODs can be anything but obvious clues are missing if you don't look up what happened there.

I agree with hardware testing.

Back