Windows 8 install took all day?

Peter Stevens

Reaction score
Hi All,

Yesterday I did a complete wipe and install of Windows 8 on a friend's notebook using the recovery USB key.

I started at 5:40am exactly, did the install of Windows 8, all 150+ updates and then the upgrade to 8.1 and all 55 updates.. Finally finished at 21:45. So, in total 16 hours..

The BattleFront got a lot of use yesterday while waiting!

Anyone else experience similar?

Cheers,
Pete

Last edited:
Well, one thing is that you don't have to install Windows 8 to get to Windows 8.1. You need to download the Windows 8 media creation tool which will create a Windows 8.1 install USB key for you. Then having a tool like WSUSOffline would help cut through the updates by having them pre-downloaded.
And last are you certain that the hard drive is in good order?

I had the exact same experience with a windows 8.1 laptop a few days ago. Even using WSUS it took an age, I gave up and went back to Win Updates. It got there eventually.

Hi,

Yes the HD is in good order. The machine had previously been running Ubuntu 12 LTS, hence the complete wipe/install.

Didn't know about WSUS, will check that out for the future!

Cheers,
Pete

I had the exact same experience with a windows 8.1 laptop a few days ago. Even using WSUS it took an age, I gave up and went back to Win Updates. It got there eventually.
That's where I'm at right now. 99% of the time is spent thrashing about and not actually doing any downloading.

M$ has no respect for other peoples time

Just think about all the lost productivity in offices while workers are constantly waiting for updates

worldwide must run into billions

Last time I tried to use WSUSOffline I think it took longer than just running the downloads through Windows Update. I couldn't figure out what it was doing, but whatever it was didn't make any sense to me.

Last time I tried to use WSUSOffline I think it took longer than just running the downloads through Windows Update. I couldn't figure out what it was doing, but whatever it was didn't make any sense to me.

I can agree with this, unless it is Windows 7. I generally just go through Windows updates after a fresh re-install.

M$ has no respect for other peoples time

Just think about all the lost productivity in offices while workers are constantly waiting for updates

worldwide must run into billions
That is what the Windows 10 Build system is trying to fix. You get a build no more than 6 months old with updates that are rolled up in cumulative packs. So you install the latest build, download the latest cumulative update, and maybe 2-3 more updates and you are done.

That is what the Windows 10 Build system is trying to fix. You get a build no more than 6 months old with updates that are rolled up in cumulative packs. So you install the latest build, download the latest cumulative update, and maybe 2-3 more updates and you are done.
I don't bother with 8 just do Win 10.

I can agree with this, unless it is Windows 7. I generally just go through Windows updates after a fresh re-install.

It actually was a Windows 7 box, but it may have been having other update issues. It was the lone box in that office that had 20+ updates pending and not downloaded.

Gotta agree about Windows 10. I can say if I do a reinstall, it's literally cut the time down from possibly a day or so to an hour or two just because of not having to download all the updates again.

Back