Windows 8 / 8.1 updates failing

Reaction score
This is not a new problem, by any means....but I wanted to check if anyone has found a better solution:

Windows 8 and 8.1 updates failing to install "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes". I've always known that I could just install the updates in groups of 5-10, and that usually installs all updates. Lately, it's been more and more troublesome...I use WSUS Offline first, then the fight begins. Is there a more elegant way to do this? Is there a hotfix that solves the issue? A third party utility that helps?

This is not a new problem, by any means....but I wanted to check if anyone has found a better solution:

Windows 8 and 8.1 updates failing to install "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes". I've always known that I could just install the updates in groups of 5-10, and that usually installs all updates. Lately, it's been more and more troublesome...I use WSUS Offline first, then the fight begins. Is there a more elegant way to do this? Is there a hotfix that solves the issue? A third party utility that helps?

I usually find this after a infection, I run tweaking.com repair tool and if that doesn't fix it I do a refresh.

This is happening for me on a brand new OEM disc install. Nothing at all installed except Windows.
I think I'm slowly getting it to work by installing updates, deleting update cache, then updating a second round...and repeating.

I find that if I DO NOT adjust the power settings (don't sleep or shut down hard drive) when attempting to do an update / upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 that I will also have failures occur like the OP mentioned. Too bad M$ could not temporarily disable power settings until a complete update / upgrade is in place so that there will be no failures!

I find that if I DO NOT adjust the power settings (don't sleep or shut down hard drive) when attempting to do an update / upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 that I will also have failures occur like the OP mentioned. Too bad M$ could not temporarily disable power settings until a complete update / upgrade is in place so that there will be no failures!
I use this tool several times a day to keep from sleeping, Just un tick shutdown so the reboots can happen

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dont_sleep.html

Last edited:
I've noticed there are times when I can pick and choose what updates I want and force an immediate install and other times where I must let Windows manage the process by doing what Altster does and just keep the system wide awake for a day or two. And not just 8, all flavors seem to upgrade when they feel like it.

BITS is what controls the transfer of update data, bandwidth and other variables so I'm sure MS has its reasons for spreading this process out.

Nice tool Porthos. I'm going to check it out.

I find that .NET updates tend to choke if they run with other updates so I skip them and do them last. WSUS offline lets you skip them.

Back