Windows 8 Apps/ Program install - Opens Then Closes

katz

Reaction score
Fresh install of Win 8 on an Acer Aspire S3. All went well, downloaded all drivers from Acer site/installed all...except for the Touchpad driver, which is the Elantech driver. This particular driver gives you sensitivity control.

Without this driver installed, the touchpad is way too sensitive and jumps all over the place when you try to click on something.

The issue I'm having is; when I click on setup.exe, I get a brief flash on the screen & that's it. For some reason, this driver file refuses to run. I've installed other drivers from Acer's site on here & they ran fine.

Thought maybe it was a permission issue - I followed the instructions here, but everything was set as it is supposed to be.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/fix-windows-8-app-opens-closes/

Any ideas? A borked driver by chance?

What are my options here? Without the sensitivity control provided by this driver, this pc is almost unusable...

What about Snappy? Might find a suitable solution for you.

I thought about that, and I also used 3dp chip, but I think this is a specialty driver that gives these extra features/settings, such as the sensitivity control, etc.

If the battery is charged, disconnect the charger and try installing the driver and see if the machine acts differently when you have a charger plugged in and then when its removed.

Snappy driver locates drivers by device ID, downloads them and installs them. I was curious if snappy found a driver for your touchpad and if you installed that driver rather than mess with the manufacturer's driver?

Fresh install of Win 8 on an Acer Aspire S3. All went well, downloaded all drivers from Acer site/installed all...except for the Touchpad driver, which is the Elantech driver. This particular driver gives you sensitivity control.

Without this driver installed, the touchpad is way too sensitive and jumps all over the place when you try to click on something.

The issue I'm having is; when I click on setup.exe, I get a brief flash on the screen & that's it. For some reason, this driver file refuses to run. I've installed other drivers from Acer's site on here & they ran fine.

Thought maybe it was a permission issue - I followed the instructions here, but everything was set as it is supposed to be.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/fix-windows-8-app-opens-closes/

Any ideas? A borked driver by chance?

What are my options here? Without the sensitivity control provided by this driver, this pc is almost unusable...
Did the file download properly / completely
Check event logs, system / application
Run As Adminstrator
32 bit vs 64 bit

Snappy for the win on this one. I've gotten so used to using 3dp chip that I put snappy on the back burner - but it definitely came through on this one!

All is in perfect order now. Thanks to all who replied. Hopefully this will be of assistance to someone else too, as I see this Elantechdriver/touchpad issue is a common one on Aspire reloads.

Just a follow up on this;

Be careful with taking the "whole hog" approach with Snappy... Initially, I ran Snappy and it found something like 40 updates, so I let it install all of them...and then the fun began.

After running the pc for awhile, I started getting blue screens and a notification that a restart was in order. Long story short, I did a system refresh, only installed the touchpad driver and a few other driver updates from the Acer site, about 8 hours ago, and all is well so far.

Just a follow up on this;

Be careful with taking the "whole hog" approach with Snappy... Initially, I ran Snappy and it found something like 40 updates, so I let it install all of them...and then the fun began.

After running the pc for awhile, I started getting blue screens and a notification that a restart was in order. Long story short, I did a system refresh, only installed the touchpad driver and a few other driver updates from the Acer site, about 8 hours ago, and all is well so far.

Exactly right, I install the necessary but most of the time ignore the updated drivers unless I see an issue. Also make sure you always click backup registry before installations so you can revert if you get turned around. Snappy has saved us a ton of time though. We downloaded all the drivers and dumped them on an external hd. Very nice especially when reloading those old systems.

Back