Windows 7 Pro oem offered as downloads legal?

There's no way any of us would know if they're licensed to resell or not. I can go to my local computer store, though, and by an OEM version. There are supposed to be limits on it (like only selling it with specific upgrade hardware or entire systems),

I don't think it is legal, as you need to offer a recovery CD (e.g the installation media) or a partition to the customer.

There is a big scam at the moment with people reselling refurbisher licences so be very careful.

I think the hardware requirement to buy Windows OEM doesn't exist any more as it was too hard to police, people ending up buying a mouse etc :p. However the OEM versions of windows are supposed to be supplied only with new computers.

Actually the reselling thing has had problems for many years. Don't know about other countries but long before the Web became so popular for selling things there were companies that went around putting on computer sales events. People were openly reselling NFR's, Educational licenses, and OEM licenses from all major software companies.

Last edited:
From your second link:
" *This product will be branded HP, Dell, etc. but will do a FULL install on any brand computer and includes a DVD and COA. Image above is a stock image, actual product may vary."

I cannot bring myself to supply new PCs with these 'grey market' (my words) OEM OSes. There are plenty of UK eBay suppliers selling these Dell and HP branded discs with used COAs scraped off of 'decommissioned machines'.

Last edited:
I got a an email from Microsoft changing the rules of the Refurbisher program, from now on you have to have a unique product key of the old operating system you're replacing before you can activate it.

This will stop all the crooks hopefully selling it that way. It does really make me angry that people cheat the system because us law abiding techs get under cut by the Gumtree Windows 8 for £30 merchants.

Of course if it is branded Dell, it is not legal at all as it can only be installed on a Dell system.

Back