Current upgrade path for Windows 7 and 8 computers?

jzukerman

Reaction score
I have a business client who has a network of 6 computers and I'm going to be installing a server for him to run a database program. 4 of the 6 computers are running Home Editions of Windows: a mix of Windows 7 Home and Windows 8.1 Home. I need to upgrade these computers to Pro editions so I can connect them to the future domain. Windows 7 and 8 Anytime Upgrades won't work anymore as far as I know. He won't buy 4 new computers right now due to the expense of buying a server.

So what are my client's legal options here? Purchase a retail full copy of Windows 10 Pro (part# FQC-09131), wipe, and reload 4 computers? Is there a Windows 10 Home upgrade available so he can do an in-place upgrade to 10 Home then purchase from the Microsoft store the 10 Home to Pro "anytime" upgrade?

I would wipe and load win 10 home. Use the 7/8 keys to activate. Then purchase a pro upgrade key from the MS store for each.
I kind of agree with this. However you could just buy the 7/8 Pro keys (you can get them cheaper then the MS store through a reputable distributor) then use this to get the 7/8 Pro ISO's or use the keys to do the Pro upgrade. You can still, if you wanted to, upgrade afterwards to Windows 10 Pro for free following this, then back the update out which will lock the computers in - so to speak - if in the future they wanted to upgrade to Windows 10.

Be sure to use Fabs on each computer prior though.

I would wipe and load win 10 home. Use the 7/8 keys to activate. Then purchase a pro upgrade key from the MS store for each.
So $99 for the retail home and $99 for 10 Pro "anytime" upgrade from the MS Store? Seems like I could just get 10 Pro retail, wipe, and install once and be done. Trying to do cost analysis as well for my client based on my labor + licenses to install 10, vs just buying 4 new PCs. I was hoping to avoid that but it may be just cheaper in the end to buy new ones. 2 of the computers are front desk only for Point-of-Sale transactions, 2 others are more workstation/e-mail/general use and would not want to get cheapo units there.

The accessibility "free" 10 upgrade trick is a real grey area for me; it doesn't feel legal to me. My client is a business and doesn't have any accessibility issues with his employees.

It annoys me to no end that MS ended the anytime upgrades for 7 and 8. I could just do 4 anytime upgrades, not have to reinstall anything, and be done with that part of the project in no time. This is what I'm looking to do, spend as little time as possible to get Pro OS loaded on the 4 computers.

I do have Fabs and access to major distis (techdata, synnex, d&h, etc).

The accessibility "free" 10 upgrade trick is a real grey area for me; it doesn't feel legal to me. My client is a business and doesn't have any accessibility issues with his employees.
It is not the accessibility anything. Win 10 will activate with a 7/8 key automatically. No special downloads from MS needed Just a Win 10 ISO and the 7/8 key's.

But you are always welcome to feed MS more money if you want. I would rather spend $99 per PC than $199.

The accessibility upgrade offer is a red herring. You can still do a clean install on a Win7 (use the Product Key) or Win8.x (uses the BIOS marker) machine and Win10 will validate automatically. It will only validate the same level, of course (Home -> Home, Pro -> Pro, etc.).

Edit: Sorry, I replied without reading the rest of the thread. What @Porthos said.

As far as the "accessibility" option Businesses are always preparing for accessibility issues. Wheel chair ramps, power doors, etc. even if they don't have employees that require it now, it is standard procedure for businesses to be prepared for it. Personally, I don't understand why that wouldn't make the accessibility upgrade a needed option (even as @Porthos said only a valid Win7 key is required).

OP mentioned a "server"... so not sure if AD on Windows server or not but here's something you should be aware of. There are a number of threads out there where Win 10 Home machines upgraded to Win 10 Pro have difficulty connecting to domain controllers, or logging into domain controllers. The only solution was a lot of time to reinstall... thus taking a potential chunk out of your profit. I've been hit with this myself. Some example threads:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rs-and-groups-missing?forum=win10itprogeneral

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1761278-domain-login-issues-on-some-windows-10-pcs

YMMV, just thought you might want to know, in case you choose this route. It appears to be rare.

OP mentioned a "server"... so not sure if AD on Windows server or not but here's something you should be aware of. There are a number of threads out there where Win 10 Home machines upgraded to Win 10 Pro have difficulty connecting to domain controllers, or logging into domain controllers. The only solution was a lot of time to reinstall... thus taking a potential chunk out of your profit. I've been hit with this myself. Some example threads:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rs-and-groups-missing?forum=win10itprogeneral

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1761278-domain-login-issues-on-some-windows-10-pcs

YMMV, just thought you might want to know, in case you choose this route. It appears to be rare.
Thanks for that. Confirmed in my mind that doing a clean install is the way to go. I already e-mailed my client the options to load Win10Pro retail on the older computers, or replace them.

The licence terms are such that it is not okay to upgrade for free unless there is a genuine accessibility need. I get it that businesses have wheel-chair ramps etc., but to upgrade software just in case you need a feature doubtfully is compliant with the licence.

I would check with Microsoft. The best, safe bet would be to pay for the upgrade then put the media into the computer with Windows running, let it enumerate the previous version of Windows, and select clean install. This is the best way to ensure legality and reliability.

Does that mean there are not other ways? Certainly not. Only I would check with Microsoft before upgrading when no current Accessibility Option exists. Wheel-chair ramps are different because the ADA passed laws require it.

There is no need to dabble in the dubious legality of Accessibility options. The upgrade to Windows 10 is valid and free for anyone with a legal copy of Windows 7 or 8. Period. The massive ADVERTISING campaign ended not the right to upgrade. If it activates YOU ARE LEGAL.

Reactions: NJW
I can say on some pc's I've played with, WITHOUT using the accessibility feature, an upgrade or clean install of Windows 10 still activates from a Windows 7/8 pc or key. I just did one the other day where the user had windows 8 and had wifi issues on an HP all in one. It was looking like having to do a reload. Instead, I presented the idea of trying an upgrade, understanding that we may have to clean install if not successful. However, this was a quick thing to try to fix it. Doing the upgrade directly from Windows 8 using the Windows 10 media creation tool successfully installed and activated the system, as well fixed the wifi etc while keeping all her files.

I would think if they successfully activate the system, you are good on licensing. If questioned, you've got the original sticker on the side, tell them you did the Windows 7->10 free upgrade, and that you then purchased the pro version from the store, and keep the receipts for those purchases. I'm not a lawyer, but if they activate it with the key on the side of the machine, how would that be illegal?

Back