Welp, Looks Like I'm Never Upgrading to Windows 10 Build 2004

I updated Nvidia drivers to newest version on all of them including personal still will not allow updates i used DDU in safemode before just to make sure and updated all drivers still says not compatible lol.
My personal system that I upgraded (I actually upgraded this one instead of doing a fresh install) has a Ryzen 5 3600x, 32GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, and a GTX 1030 (it's an imaging computer, not a gaming computer). I never upgraded the graphics drivers but it upgraded just fine. No BSOD's, no crashes, etc. I just checked the driver and it's from 2019. It is a newer computer that I built about 6 months ago but so far everything has been fine. I don't push it. All I use it for is to buy parts online, write invoices (web based), and sometimes watch a movie if I'm sitting out in that garage with my finger up my butt with nothing else to do while I wait for a client's computer to finish whatever it has to finish. Maybe I'll try a game on it and see if it'll blue screen. Though I can't imagine what game I can play on a 1030 with acceptable frame rates that isn't ancient.

EDIT: I should mention that I upgraded it using the Update Assistant, not through regular Windows updates.

Microsoft really needs to tell the user what drivers are the issue when blocking feature updates i have updated all of the drivers on my personal machines and programs still a no go.

I think this is a bug in code it checks once if at time a driver is not compatible it blocks it if you update those drivers it does not check again so you are permanently blocked till it is fixed.

I have customer that is a digital artist that was upgraded to 2004 when she tries to draw on her drawing tablet her monitor goes black lol had to revert back to 1909.

Last edited:
I think this is a bug in code it checks once if at time a driver is not compatible it blocks it if you update those drivers it does not check again so you are permanently blocked till it is fixed.

Which is just precisely what I'd expect in a mechanism that services millions of machines.

Unless you desperately need something in a new Version what's the issue in just waiting until it's served up?

My in-law's desktop is on my bench right now, they out grew their 120gb SSD, so I'm imaging them over to a 500gb.

Once that was done, and the compact tool was done decompressing everything Windows compressed to save itself... I noticed it was 1903, I clicked the link to authorize the 1909 install. Windows Update spun a bit, and when it stopped the 1909 update link was replaced with a 2004 update link, so that's what got installed.

Took about 30min for this 4th gen 3.0ghz dual core, 8gb RAM, and SSD equipped desktop to get it done. No issues on my bench, we'll see after they get it home. It's an almost 9 year old white box I built back in the Windows 8.0 days, it's been upgraded from 8.0, to 8.1, then onto 10 and now it's running 2004. It never died...

This. I block and refuse to update any of my clients to the new builds as S.O.P. for at least 30 days. There is absolutely no reason to beta test with my clients.

And these days, even with Home, the need to block is gone, gone, gone. The fully automatic update is a thing of the past. Windows Update has been serving up Feature Updates strictly via the notice that your machine is deemed ready for it in the Windows Update Pane but requiring you to manually activate the Download and install link to get it to do just that.

All of the screaming over several years about, "We don't want automatic updating for Feature Updates!!," from a very loud and vocal contingent has gotten them exactly what they asked for, and everyone else as well.

I have no reason to doubt that if Microsoft is giving me the message that my device is "not quite ready" for the Feature Update that I should ignore this and blithely go about force updating it anyway.

I also do what you do, just by waiting, once the "it's ready" message appears and not activating the Download and install link for a minimum of 30 days, and sometimes much longer depending on what the scuttlebutt happens to be about the rollout.

I do not understand, in any way, shape, or form, why anyone is in a rush to apply any Feature Update unless there is something in that update that they happen to desperately need or want. This is exceedingly rare in both my personal experience and observation. Most of the new features focus on the needs of niche markets of which I'm not a part. I understand that an OS is not bespoke software, so I have no complaints about that, but is meant to serve massively diverse needs. I'm just in no rush to update to the latest and greatest "just because." Let those who either had to, or foolishly rushed in, be the ones who are the "shake out testers," not me.

By block, I refer to my RMM which can roll out the update on command. I control when a system is updated to mitigate downtime and to have a backup in place in case it does go belly up. Yes, it is over cautious but that is what I am being paid to do.

Which is just precisely what I'd expect in a mechanism that services millions of machines.

Unless you desperately need something in a new Version what's the issue in just waiting until it's served up?

Just checking for more bugs just like the surface update bug issue i think it is more wide spread than just surface also i have a test machine which is to test new feature builds and updates to see how buggy they are.

Getting calls again about 2004 and bsod seems these customers all have one thing in common they have Intel optane going to have to roll them back to 1909.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind folks... this update is a bit of a shocker because it's an actual feature update. 1909 wasn't, it was just a placeholder update to get them back on schedule.

So we haven't had a real feature update since 1903. That's why 1909 rolled out so smoothly... now we're back to more or less normal.

The new update mechanism will automatically force updates, but it does so at the END of the support life of the release in question. So systems with 1903 die this December. Given what my sister-in-law's machine just did... I expect any 1903 system to update straight to 2009 this December... Which may or may not be ready... (Note I said 2009, not 2004... I'm talking about this coming FALL release, whatever it may be)

So we're still going to be managing update issues, up front or in the back. But, the back usually turns out better. Just beware of that leapfrog!

My managed clients are on a 6 month delay, and forced upgrades at that time. So they're always exactly one version back, and I almost never have problems.

The new update mechanism will automatically force updates, but it does so at the END of the support life of the release in question.

If anyone actually experiences this happening I'd love to have reports shared here. So few intentionally allow a Windows 10 machine to run on any given version until it goes completely out of support simply because the "shake out period" for the next one is generally over many months before that would happen.

I know of some folks who seem to be stuck on a now out of support version on occasion, but that's virtually always been because something in Windows Update itself has broken.

I have not had any experience with any fully automatic feature update, under any Edition of Windows 10, since that feature was supplanted by the "Your machine is ready" announcement and Download and install link in the Window Update Pane.

@britechguy Nor have I, and yet that's exactly what we need to have happen.

But given what my in-laws machine just did after I authorized 1909, it stopped itself and then gave me the option for 2004... I'm left to assume the update engine behaves that way.

But yeah, we won't know until the 1903 machines hit their automatic update deadline. We don't know when it starts pushing either, presumably it must start trying the update before the drop dead date. So I'd assume we'll start seeing machines jump from 1903 to whatever is current around Halloween, that's 45 days give or take from the mid-Dec drop dead date for 1903.

But this is ALL supposition, based on my past experience with Microsoft, I have no actual evidence.

I can confirm that I have only seen machines that are in need of a "multi-version jump" do just that, and only that.

The machine I'm typing from came with the initial release of Windows 10 on it out of the box, and when it updated it went straight to one of the 18XX versions (I can't recall which now).

Microsoft has also rejiggered the Media Creation Tool to only allow creation of media for versions currently under support. I have archived copies and if I try to run one for an out-of-support version I get a message that I need to download the latest Media Creation Tool which, of course, is always for whatever Version is in current release.

Yeah that's why I got ISO images of each release. I use Rufus to "burn" them to USB keys when I need them.

As for the media creation tool, if you use a browser plugin to change your user agent to safari on iOS... the page reformat into something you can just click the drop downs on to get the ISO images directly. I can't recall when it was the last time I used the media creation tool to actually create media.

Another thing to keep in mind folks... this update is a bit of a shocker because it's an actual feature update. 1909 wasn't, it was just a placeholder update to get them back on schedule.

It wasn't to get them back on schedule. It was because feature updates are now annually - not six monthly, like they used to be.

Well I got my first issue in. I sent out an HP laptop with an AMD processor (don't remember the model) and when you bring it out of sleep mode the screen is completely white. I switched the graphics driver to the one on the manufacturer's website but it didn't fix the issue, so I did a fresh install of 1909 and everything works normally now.

This. I block and refuse to update any of my clients to the new builds as S.O.P. for at least 30 days. There is absolutely no reason to beta test with my clients.
This is my standard policy, the updates are done a month after they are released (except for critical patching of course), specially for servers..

This is my standard policy, the updates are done a month after they are released (except for critical patching of course), specially for servers..

Right now I'm back in the, "I want to tear my hair out," dealing with those who see the Download and install link in the Windows Update pane, and consider it either a direct order or "just can't wait," and who then ask "should I do it." They ignore the "When you're ready," part of the text that precedes that link, and also ignore the history of Windows Update, being an intelligent process, switching machines that had been deemed ready to "not quite ready" status when an issue appears during the rollout that might apply to that machine that had been unknown at the outset.

I tell everyone wait at least 30 days after initial release, and better yet monitor the tech press in a cursory manner until articles on issues with the latest Feature Update dry up, before applying said Feature Update.

Back