Welp, Looks Like I'm Never Upgrading to Windows 10 Build 2004

I'm pretty sure I've used that in the past, but it still took forever to take ownership of the files. I'd rather just skip the unnecessary BS and just have access to all the files on my own freaking computer.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I thought that was an actual program. Now I remember I was thinking about some other program (I think it was just called Unlocker). It allowed you to unlock files that Windows wouldn't let you delete. I think it had some other features too, but I never used them. It wouldn't surprise me if this program allowed you to "take ownership" through it's own UI.

This little registry hack makes it easier to take ownership of files, but it still takes just as long to change the permissions on every single file under the user folder. It's much more efficient to just disable the thing completely.

Last edited:
Yes but you are missing the point it does NOT work on their own hardware have you ever seen Apple put out a new OS that does not work on their own current hardware.....

No, I can't. I also can't imagine MacOS running on MILLIONS of DIFFERENT HARDWARE PLATFORMS. Good heavens, no one controls their ecosystems from beginning to end like Apple does. Apples versus oranges, brie cheese, hamburgers, chicken cacciatore, . . .

And since the Surface does come in configurations that use somewhat different hardware, and one recent issue was with WiFi for specific cards, I'd be blocking installation on the Surface if I knew I'd issued even one with that card. Again, Microsoft is not at all like Apple in keeping a death grip on its ecosystem.

I also have no idea where you've read that any of the major hardware vendors will not have drivers for Version 2004 for any RECENT hardware. Citations, please.

Yes but you are missing the point it does NOT work on their own hardware have you ever seen Apple put out a new OS that does not work on their own current hardware.....
When it comes to choosing whether to keep your system updated nowadays, it's basically Sophie's choice. Would you rather let these big companies push bug-riddled software onto your computer or would you rather take your chances with the hackers? I'm increasingly leaning towards the latter.

Good heavens, no one controls their ecosystems from beginning to end like Apple does.
And yet, even Apple pushes out bug-riddled filth these days. They have to support like what...0.001% of the configurations that Microsoft has to support? There's no excuse for the fiasco's that happen with each and every mac OS release. The newest Catalina problems were the worst.

And yet, even Apple pushes out bug-riddled filth these days.

You seem to believe in a golden past that never was. What's too painful to remember, we simply choose to forget.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

[And if you are 28, as I seem to remember you saying you are, just wait until you're just short of 60, and in this business for 35 years . . .]

You seem to believe in a golden past that never was. What's too painful to remember, we simply choose to forget.
Software companies intentionally release broken software nowadays. Why? Because they can just fix it later through online software updates.

In the past, it cost companies a LOT of money to fix broken software once it was already shipped because they had to mail out replacement floppies/CD's or refund everyone's money. They made sure to publish the best software they could back then.

I still use technology from the 90's/early 2000's to this day. Besides Windows ME, I can't think of one piece of horrible software (with the exception of intentionally crappy software like Bonzi Buddy). Maybe I just didn't own enough software, but I have a ton of it now (old software, that is) and it's rare that it ever has problems.

I'm running an old iMac G4 20" with a copy of Final Cut 5. Rock solid software. A lot more reliable than the copy of Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020 I have on my main computer. Too bad I can't even edit 720p video on that old 1.25Ghz G4 PPC processor.

From said article, "For now, Intel's Kaby Lake-G customers are again left without timely updates from the latest drivers."

In other words, an annoyance (particularly if you read the entire article), not a show stopper, and not Microsoft's fault in any way.

To date, there have only been 4 major products announced with Kaby Lake-G: The Dell XPS 15 9575, 2018 HP Spectre x360 15, Intel Hades Canyon NUC, and the Chuwi HiGame mini PC. Two of these are not even laptops, the HP and Chuwi systems are not yet shipping, and the NUC is solely an Intel product. This leaves HP and Dell as the only two notable manufacturers with overt Kaby Lake-G plans who also happen to be allegedly backing away from Nvidia GPP. Other major manufacturers like MSI, Zotac, Gigabyte, Asus, Lenovo, Acer, and others have been oddly silent about the processor series. For a product born from an inconceivable partnership between two of the largest PC rivals in history, Kaby Lake-G should have received more attention or at least comments from OEMs everywhere.

Not very mainstream.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Where...Partner-Program-may-be-to-blame.300748.0.html

I see Intel is still stinging after their failed attempt to take over nVidia.

And this situation is exactly the sort of thing telemetry solves. If these GPUs don't work, then those units stay on 1909 until such time as the industry figures crap out. Users have a year to figure out what they're going to do. And a class action suit might just be what the doctor ordered here. This is Intel's fault, and rather uncharacteristically so too... Intel doesn't drop support for CPUs very often.

I suspect some back pedaling will happen.

Desktops with this configuration just need to disable onboard graphics and install a discrete adapter. Laptop users... stay on 1909 and pray.

@Galdorf thanks for the link, here's another... https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...rivers-intel-amd-kaby-lake-g-hades-canyon-nuc

It seems AMD is planning on sorting the problem, eventually.

And I have very little doubt that if the issue identified is a "show stopper" for Windows 10, Version 2004, the intelligence built in to the Windows Update process will be holding off on even offering Version 2004 to machines where the specific hardware is present (and/or withdraw the option if it's already been presented, but the Download and install link not activated).

I have a customer who has to have the newest of everything he has a current system 10 gen intel and high end motherboard it will not update to 2004 so he asks me why i said well you will have to ask Microsoft he then phones Microsoft and they can`t give him a reason why either why even bother releasing to public if only 10% of the machines out there can run it.

None of my personal systems that is 5 of them can not and my friend has 4 systems none can either 15 customers machines none i have check so far can update either so it must be realtek sound drivers holding it up and from what i have read they are not releasing any new drivers for 2004.

There were a few that would allow the update that had gone through on 5 customers machines but they all had bsod issues all the same error msg i had to roll them back to1909.

Also surface tablets cannot install 2004 and it is NOT drivers cuasing the issue it is a bug in windows update besides the dozens of other bugs that plague 2004 just another reason to let the public beta test this mess.

Microsoft fixed bug blocking Windows 10 2004 on Surface devices

Last edited:
I have a customer who has to have the newest of everything he has a current system 10 gen intel and high end motherboard it will not update to 2004 so he asks me why i said well you will have to ask Microsoft he then phones Microsoft and they can`t give him a reason why either why even bother releasing to public if only 10% of the machines out there can run it.

None of my personal systems that is 5 of them can not and my friend has 4 systems none can either 15 customers machines none i have check so far can update either so it must be realtek sound drivers holding it up and from what i have read they are not releasing any new drivers for 2004.

There were a few that would allow the update that had gone through on 5 customers machines but they all had bsod issues all the same error msg i had to roll them back to1909.

Also surface tablets cannot install 2004 and it is NOT drivers cuasing the issue it is a bug in windows update besides the dozens of other bugs that plague 2004 just another reason to let the public beta test this mess.

Microsoft fixed bug blocking Windows 10 2004 on Surface devices

I have about 80 computers out there in the wild with 2004 (including computers I myself have worked on and all my employees - all fresh installs) and I haven't had any issues yet. The only issue I've had has been with my personal computer and this permissions BS (and admittedly, that's not an "issue" per say, but rather a conscious choice on Microsoft's part to no longer give the built-in administrator account full administrator privileges). Seeing how many of you are having issues with 2004, I'm thinking about staying with 1909 for fresh installs for at least a few more months.

I dunno though. I mean, 80 isn't a huge sample size but even if I got a bad one now, that's like 1%. None of these systems are having BSOD or driver issues. I did have one computer where the sound wouldn't work after I did a fresh install of 2004 and used Windows Update to get the most recent Realtek audio drivers, but I just went onto the manufactures website and downloaded their older driver from 2018 and it worked fine after that. I didn't attribute that to 2004 as this sort of thing happens occasionally. I just sent the sucker out yesterday though so I guess we'll see.

I should mention that I use images. I'm not installing these manually via USB or anything.

If the machine has an nVidia card in it, you must have a driver from this year to be compatible... So there is that.

AMD is apparently having issues too, both of which probably can be attributed to the new features Microsoft added to the DirectX 12 API in the release. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/dev-preview-of-new-directx-12-features/

So presumably everyone needs an updated graphics driver before you can upgrade. Since basically everything has a DirectX capable card in it.

If the machine has an nVidia card in it, you must have a driver from this year to be compatible... So there is that.

AMD is apparently having issues too, both of which probably can be attributed to the new features Microsoft added to the DirectX 12 API in the release. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/dev-preview-of-new-directx-12-features/

So presumably everyone needs an updated graphics driver before you can upgrade. Since basically everything has a DirectX capable card in it.

Most of my clients have money and have newer hardware, but not every computer we've installed 2004 on was like that. The oldest computer I've personally installed it on was a Toshiba laptop with a 3rd gen i5. I have no idea about the computers my employees have worked on. We don't see each other in person much anymore since everyone is working form home.

I've done several fresh installs of 2004 too and yet to come across a problem. It's always worth a try on a spare SSD.

I updated Nvidia drivers to newest version on all of them including personal still will not allow updates i used DDU in safemode before just to make sure and updated all drivers still says not compatible lol.

I've been surprised how many machines I've seen with 2004 offered already. With previous iterations it would be months and months. Although I've done the 2004 update on my own personal machines I'm recommending to my customers that they do NOT click on the offer at this time. My own updates were on mostly older AMD CPUs with discrete GPUs and I haven't seen any issues. I could never justify the cost of Intel hardware! :)

Back