Website builders.

Fred Claus

Reaction score
Who builds websites here? Where do you recommend people host their site? I use HostGator but a few of my clients uze Wix.

Where do you all host? I don't build websites for clients, but I'm constantly being asked for a good host recommendations.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Well, I use TSO hosting...but as I'm in England (and so are they), that's probably not going to be much use to you. OTOH, they deserve a plug now and again. Their tech support is the best I've come across.

I use reseller hosting, again on this side of the water (spiralhosting.com). The upshot is it costs me very little to give each of my customers their own control panel etc. and we make (literally) 900% profit for hosting each site. Why not just pay less than half with a standard hoster you say? Simple - quality of tech support. Customers get free QUALITY tech support for issues that relate directly to hosting - we take about one call per week on this (~100 sites hosted) so our net profit per month is approximately €850. Average resolution time per call is approximately 20 minutes. They also get reduced rate tech support for site related issues. We also offer managed Wordpress hosting at double the price - we do all updates, include security plug-ins, daily backups and free restores. We've had one site go down in three years due to malware and that was a technician's ****-up, he forgot to enable Wordfence. We've never had a site go down due to Wordpress issues e.g. plugin incompatibility etc. We have 26 clients on that and take a call or two per week usually to do with something they've read somewhere about some Wordpress vulnerability - very seldom do we have to do anything but re-assure them. It is a hard sell but NOT to those whose websites actually have some functionality e.g. bookings, shops etc. We also have an Indian company that do web dev for us and will do repairs etc. when **** goes wrong. We can do much of that ourselves but it's cheaper, often, to have them do it and for us to keep on b2b support.

Who builds websites here? Where do you recommend people host their site? I use HostGator but a few of my clients uze Wix.
I dont know who to recommend for you, but I can tell you who to avoid. Avoid Hostgator and any other company owned by their parent company EIG. They have tons of brands so when you think you are transferring to another host, you might not be.

Basically, most of them have terrible support and oversell their servers. I've butted heads with them a number of times where I told them exactly whats wrong with their servers, and they repeatedly say the problem was on my end. So I moved to a non-EIG host and everything resolved itself.

Here are the EIG hosts:
EIGHosting.jpg

Can confirm EIG sucks big time. I was never happy with reseller hosting. I have a VPS from Stablehost with most of my client's sites on it. Always runs fast and never gets stuck on spam blacklists.

I used ipage WordPress essentials, the servers run on ssd's but I can confirm it's not the snappiest out there. I do however use maxcdn which seems to bridge the gap and works quite well. Their support has been great for me and I've been using them since 2011 I believe if not longer.

I have my site running on One.com and I just bought this deal the other day. Dragify for Wordpress is difficult to use without instructions. I am still playing with it.

I use GoDaddy but I know some don't like them. It's one of those things you take for granted because it works and I don't think about it. It's been 10+ years with no issues. The few times I've needed contact they are slow to get on the phone but I just leave a message and they call me.

I use GoDaddy but I know some don't like them. It's one of those things you take for granted because it works and I don't think about it. It's been 10+ years with no issues. The few times I've needed contact they are slow to get on the phone but I just leave a message and they call me.

I use Godaddy as well and i'm on the business website builder (the older one prior to GoCentral) and I love it to an extent. I was playing around with GoCentral the other day actually and it's nice. But I would have liked it if there was a little more wiggle room in some customisation with the header stuff, etc and a little more adjustments with spacing between the sections on the page.

For what I want, i enjoy doing my own graphics and layouts. I like my site as it is and it's still mobile friendly. The only thing that ****** me off with this this year is when I renewed my domain/hosting they quoted me in USD... they know damn well I'm Canadian and should have quoted me the price as such. Turns out there was an issue in the profile it "magically" changed preferred currency from CND to USD.... d'oh. I still paid less than the previous renewal. which is fine.

I dont know who to recommend for you, but I can tell you who to avoid. Avoid Hostgator and any other company owned by their parent company EIG. They have tons of brands so when you think you are transferring to another host, you might not be.

Basically, most of them have terrible support and oversell their servers. I've butted heads with them a number of times where I told them exactly whats wrong with their servers, and they repeatedly say the problem was on my end. So I moved to a non-EIG host and everything resolved itself.

Here are the EIG hosts:
EIGHosting.jpg
I was with Host Excellence for 11 years, my websites went down ONE TIME in 11 years and it was because some tornado caused flooding in their data center....they had it up and running in 2 days! Everything always worked, email included. I had unlimited almost everything, no limit on SQL databases, email accounts. Then one day, I had to do a PHP upgrade to ver 5 something, and the phone just kept ringing. Sent in a ticket, no answer for 2 days. I had to update a cert on a very critical website.....i paid the RENEWAL price of 50.00 to renew the cert, and then the problems started. The cert vendor started calling my client, hey, your cert is about to expire, you need to renew it. After many calls/emails I told my client to have the vendor call me. It was Comodo and the guy said dude, you need to renew the cert for so in so website, and I told him i renewed it 4 days prior to expiration date. I got into a back and forth tit for tat with Host Excellence help tickets....and the default answer was....we are working on it, its in the process..... Needless to say my clients site went DOWN, and thats when i decided to DUMP host excellence, adn I found out they were bought out by Sight5 i think it was, which is owned by EIG.... I talked with the Comodo guy and he pointed me to ionblade, and I began the move.... turned out to be a very bad experience, and to this day, i had to do a quarterly renewal at host excellence because i had valuable data there that wasn't moved......still trying to find someone to help me move some email accounts..... So, yeah, moving hosting providers is no picnic...... And, when the guys started moving my stuff, they were putting the programs from one website dir into the wrong website; Im using a small invoicing program you log into on the domain, well went to log in, and all the data was from a different domain on the server.....and I WAS THE ONE that had to figure it out..... nightmare....

I have several personal sites hosted mostly just to toy around with web coding, and to have custom email address.

They've been hosted by Dreamhost for about 10 years. They had some issues with shared hosts several years ago, but my sites have been running pretty good for many years now. Have been pretty happy with them.

I switched from JustHost (one of those EIG clones) to SiteGround a few years ago and I couldn't be happier since the switch. SiteGround is not only a much faster hosting company but their support is unbelievable. Whenever I've had an issue, one of their techs got it resolved in minutes, not hours or days like other hosting companies.

They've got a ton of cool unique features too such as server side RAM caching of your Wordpress content. Daily backups with the option to pick a day to immediately roll back to. (go ahead and hack my site, I press one button and it's back to yesterday's version).

I don't personally plan on ever switching. It's a bit more money, but I actually love my hosting company now rather than hating it like before.

I switched from JustHost (one of those EIG clones) to SiteGround a few years ago and I couldn't be happier since the switch. SiteGround is not only a much faster hosting company but their support is unbelievable. Whenever I've had an issue, one of their techs got it resolved in minutes, not hours or days like other hosting companies.

I haven't heard of Siteground until last week but everyone I have talked to or seen reviews from seem to love it because they have actual tech support that responds to you with actual solutions. I plan on using them in the future now.

I tried bluehost and even bought one of their premium tiers, one of the worst host I ever used. Only then did I discover the EIG network of crap hosts. I use WPengine for what it's worth but I think I may be overpaying a tad.

Hostgator is trash just putting that out there. Used godaddy for bout 2 years but decided to switch cuz they are slow and the support is decent but could be better. Now with Siteground and I love it, support is the best, comes with free ssl certificates, page load times have increased n I haven’t had any issues so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back