Water cooling AIO units

HCHTech

Reaction score
We have seen a surprising number of computers come in with failed water cooling units. The one we got in this morning was an MSI, probably came with the case - symptom was overheating, turns out the pump was bad. I think this was the 4th one in the last few months. They are sealed units, so no parts or repair, just replace....or not. We're putting in a Noctua heat sink & fan. Simpler = Better.

Post made me pause a bit and my mind drifted back to the early years of when I used to build a lot of gaming computers. As we went from the socket 1 CPUs...to the Slots 1 CPUs..and into the...oh, I forget, the socket 667? Basically the sockets of the early P3's and P4's.
LOVED the Thermal Take "Golden Orb" heat sink/fan units...
and some of the mongo Cooler master and Thermal Take setups,

ahh..such fun times!

I'll bet water-cooled systems are wonderful, when they work. My motorcycle has a sealed system and it's great not having to check the radiator all the time. But in a computer, I would be so afraid of springing a leak and ruining everything you just put together or just purchased, that I'd probably never do it. :eek:

We have seen a surprising number of computers come in with failed water cooling units.
I've seen a few as well. I test with a spare fan cooler to confirm, and then give the customer the option of a fan cooler installed or they can install their own replacement AIO cooler. I never use AIO water coolers in my own builds or repairs, hate them.

On pre-built gaming PCs the AIO cooler often has been re-badged with the PC's brand, maybe that was the case with the MSI badge. In these cases they are cheaper OEM units and they're the ones I usually see failed.

In my case high temps even after repasting, no leaking, caused by some internal problem but pump can be heard running. That's why I had to confirm by installing a spare fan cooler and checking temps came back to normal.

Basically the sockets of the early P3's and P4's.
P3 -> Slot 1 then 370, P4 -> 423, 478 then 775.
Ah slot 1 processors, with theirs shinny hologram -> best looking processors :)
I hated P4, basically hi-tech heating devices, but theirs heat-sink were massive! I still have some, good for Core2 Quad :) (socket 775).

Back