Understanding why SSD adapter doesn't work

ell

Reaction score
So I have this ssd adapter, purchased for data recovery but haven't used. I put this perfectly fine Samsung ssd in it and it lights up but is not detected in device manager or in linux/windows. I know there are a few different mSATA formats, this ssd is from 2014, but it works fine (pulled it from laptop with damaged screen, ext didn't work either). You think the adapter is junk or is the ssd the wrong type for it? See pics info appreciated!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220617_075408.jpg
    20220617_075408.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 28
Device is correct, though have you tried another m2 card with it? Are you sure the adapter is drawing enough power from the source?

Device is correct, though have you tried another m2 card with it? Are you sure the adapter is drawing enough power from the source?
Unfortunately I don't have another, I had to put the SSD back in the laptop and struggle to retrieve the data with bubbles and cursor bouncing all over, but the SSD is s fine. Thanks for telling me it's the right type, it must be defective, funny it lights up, but it should be at least be detected in device manager I would think, even if it's a driver is issue.

Stupid question, but you did plug this up while the system was off or have hot plugging enabled? If not, maybe that's why?

Stupid question, but you did plug this up while the system was off or have hot plugging enabled? If not, maybe that's why?
I just stuck the SSD in it and then connected it to a USB/sata adapter

My bet is the USB/sata adapter wasn't providing enough power - it would be interesting to see if it worked as intended hooked up to a SATA-MB/PSU, direct.
I guess I could try that, I still have it. Thanks

My bet is the USB/sata adapter wasn't providing enough power - it would be interesting to see if it worked as intended hooked up to a SATA-MB/PSU, direct.
Crap, that didn't work either:( same result, not detected in device manager but lit up.

May want to try another adapter, but I'm surprised that didn't work. I was for sure thinking that was it.

May want to try another adapter, but I'm surprised that didn't work. I was for sure thinking that was it.
Yeah me too, guess I'll just buy another and hope it works when it's comes time to use it!

I'd try it on different hardware before getting another. There is enough you report as dead or dying on the existing box that myriad other options besides the device being defective could be at play.

mSATA is a dead tech. I would not waste money chasing after that small market segment. As you originally stated there are multiple proprietary formats. If they need the data you need to hand it over to a data recovery firm.

In which case, you've definitely done your diagnostic due diligence. Toss it (preferably to an electronics recycler) and get another.
No. It probably works just fine just not with this mSATA drive. mSATA is a dead tech for a reason. Multiple incompatible formats.

mSATA is a dead tech. I would not waste money chasing after that small market segment. As you originally stated there are multiple proprietary formats. If they need the data you need to hand it over to a data recovery firm.
I make good money doing basic software recovery, I have a data recovery partner I referr for commission for the hardware stuff, has worked good for years.

Back