UK Home Repair Business Start-up

CraiGDaniel

Reaction score
Hi all!

Anything computer/technology related has been my passion all my life. I currently work to support myself and family, but will be going part time to make room for this business.
The good thing is, whilst starting out i have no overhead. I know all my bills will be paid by my other job and i will be fed at the end of each day, no stress on this business to make thousands straight out!!!

I'm 20 years of age and have zero experience in businesses but the internet is a wonderful place and feel like it's my best tutor!
I'm thinking for the first few months i will be a home visit technician ONLY! Undercut the competition by 5-10% and use my social & customer service skills to attract more clients and keep current ones.

As i get more confident in my abilities and work is fairly steady i may start to offer more services/think about a shop etc,b ut thats the extended business plan.

I have a few questions i hope some people can voice their opinion on;

1) Strictly in-home repairs while i start up, good idea? (motorbike as cheap transport to houses)
2) No fix - No fee < standard?
3) Backups < Best option to back up a system before i work on it(needs to be quick)?
4) Payment methods? Cash on fix or invoice them?

I am not qualified in any form of technical repair, but feel over my years of experience and having this work as a hobby i am confident to do the work and comptia a+ is first thing on my to-do-list atm.

Thoughts on my situation really appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there, to answer your questions quickly.

1: Home repairs are good initially. Careful of the motorbike though. What happens if you have to take the pc back to your workshop. How will you transport it etc. Are you covered for business use on your insurance?

2: Yes definately.

3: Look at some imaging software. This will clone / image the entire drive before you start work on it, again imperative at times.

3a: If your looking at simply backing up clients data, rather than the complete drive, have a look at Datagrab (Written by a TN member), also Fabs4Tech.

4: Depends on you. The majority of us are pay on fix. Invoices are good for clients whom you know well, and or businesses. Set your terms up properly. Write them on your website, print them on the reverse of your paperwork etc.

Whilst your still starting up, have a thought on some repair tracking software. This will allow you to know what you have done to any pc at any point in time. Rather than trawling through all your paperwork, looking for a particular pc's notes.

One which is highly recommended on TN is PCRT. There are multiple threads on the subject.

Im looking at starting up also and a similar age, im presuming were in different areas. Perhaps we could work together on starting up and develop a plan etc accordingly. As I said, if were in different areas it could be a good learning curve and our experiences both negative and positive could help us both avoid similar issues. Inbox me if your interested.

Great....another person looking to undercut everyone.

No need to be like that. If you was to suggest i keep the prices around the same i would probably take your advice on board, like i said i'm looking for help. I dont aim to be another one of those guys that will do a call out really cheap and do a rubbish job.

I plan to have multiple shops in the future etc so i need the advice, not the hateful comments.

Hi there, to answer your questions quickly.

1: Home repairs are good initially. Careful of the motorbike though. What happens if you have to take the pc back to your workshop. How will you transport it etc. Are you covered for business use on your insurance?

2: Yes definately.

3: Look at some imaging software. This will clone / image the entire drive before you start work on it, again imperative at times.

3a: If your looking at simply backing up clients data, rather than the complete drive, have a look at Datagrab (Written by a TN member), also Fabs4Tech.

4: Depends on you. The majority of us are pay on fix. Invoices are good for clients whom you know well, and or businesses. Set your terms up properly. Write them on your website, print them on the reverse of your paperwork etc.

Whilst your still starting up, have a thought on some repair tracking software. This will allow you to know what you have done to any pc at any point in time. Rather than trawling through all your paperwork, looking for a particular pc's notes.

One which is highly recommended on TN is PCRT. There are multiple threads on the subject.

Thank you very much for the knowledge. I will definately look into everything you have suggested.

Also as for the motorbike, i was planning to be a strictly home visit only.. no computer take aways, would this be a huge issue? I would imagine a max callout time of 2hours would be only fair to a customer and that would usually be enough time to fix most issues.

Whilst I agree with MT to a degree, make sure that your pricing structure is not what you are aiming your business upon.

Anyone can compete on prices, bear in mind that if you do undercut the opposition, as the chances are they have been in business longer then you are, you do not want a price war. What I mean to say is, they could easily win a price war, which would put you out of business, before you even begin.

Instead base your business upon service. Distinguish yourself from any competition. Is there something that you do better than the others?, or different. Market yourself that way.

See what prices the competition charge, you may be surpised and find that they are mostly fly by nights, or pizza techs not full time repair owners. In which case their prices may be too low to begin with, and you do not want to undercut those for starters.

You can charge more than your competition and still be in business, and be successful at it too. You do this by being different in other ways.

Couple of examples
Bus 1 - Does not repair laptops
Bus 2 - Repairs laptops, but does not do hardware repairs
Bus 3 - Remote support only
Bus 4 - Does not do servers
Bus 5 - Only does software repairs, no hardware support what so ever

In cases like these, you would repair laptops, inc all hardware, you offer remote support, you repair servers, and you offer a all in one service basically.

Thank you very much for the knowledge. I will definately look into everything you have suggested.

Also as for the motorbike, i was planning to be a strictly home visit only.. no computer take aways, would this be a huge issue? I would imagine a max callout time of 2hours would be only fair to a customer and that would usually be enough time to fix most issues.

You may be surprised as to the amount of takeaways you may have to do. I.e. Desktop motherboard repair / swap out.

Start out as if you will be taking each machine back to the workshop. If you find you don't need to, its a bonus.

I have a max limit on call outs of 3 hours. Usually after the 1st hour, if I can't repair the machine whilst on site, I bring it back to the workshop. It's cheaper for my client, and its far easier on me also. (I do flat rate in the workshop, and hourly whilst onsite).

Some virus removals for example WILL take you over your 2 hour limit. Especially if they have nasty rootkits are involved.

Also there will be a time, when you have a repair, where you don't know the fix. It's not professional to say to the client, sorry but I don't know how to fix this, I will just use your computer to have a look at google etc.

Whilst onsite, you will have to take your toolbag with you, with all your screwdrivers, testing equipment, cd's flash drives, paperwork etc. This bag alone could weigh quite a few lbs. It's not as if you can just arrive on your bike, not need any equipment, and repair a machine. You will definitely require paperwork (work orders, invoices, receipts etc). This is a complete must have.

For this, have a look at the business kit v2, which you will find on the forum. It has a lot of nicely detailed forms you can utilise, which are great for initial start ups like you.

1) Strictly in-home repairs while i start up, good idea? (motorbike as cheap transport to houses)
Can't see this working. There are times when you will have to bring the computer away no matter how skilful you are and a vehicle I would say is a must. I bring away more than I fix onsite. You are going to lose business if you only take jobs that can be fixed onsite. Always remember, the answer's yes, what's the question. Don't turn work down if you can help it. The person your potential client will go back to the person that takes the job.

Quantify that. If you can fix it and they don't want to go with the fix then you charge. If you cannot come to a conclusion on the fault you proably shouldn't be in the business.

3) Backups < Best option to back up a system before i work on it(needs to be quick)?
This is not going to be easy onsite. Client has a 500GB HD full of music and you are going to backup the drive before working? Ain't going to happen.

QUOTE]
Certainly home calls pay immediately. I only do small business so it is pay on finish, cash, cheque or Paypal with a card via my website.

Whilst I agree with MT to a degree, make sure that your pricing structure is not what you are aiming your business upon.

Anyone can compete on prices, bear in mind that if you do undercut the opposition, as the chances are they have been in business longer then you are, you do not want a price war. What I mean to say is, they could easily win a price war, which would put you out of business, before you even begin.

Instead base your business upon service. Distinguish yourself from any competition. Is there something that you do better than the others?, or different. Market yourself that way.

See what prices the competition charge, you may be surpised and find that they are mostly fly by nights, or pizza techs not full time repair owners. In which case their prices may be too low to begin with, and you do not want to undercut those for starters.

You can charge more than your competition and still be in business, and be successful at it too. You do this by being different in other ways.

Couple of examples
Bus 1 - Does not repair laptops
Bus 2 - Repairs laptops, but does not do hardware repairs
Bus 3 - Remote support only
Bus 4 - Does not do servers
Bus 5 - Only does software repairs, no hardware support what so ever

In cases like these, you would repair laptops, inc all hardware, you offer remote support, you repair servers, and you offer a all in one service basically.

Sound advice.

The businesses around here aren't all that cracked up. There are around 5 that i can find online who operate in my town. None of them are jack-of-all-trades, which aim to be.

THeir websites are not very nice to look at and leave you a bit misty. FIrst thing i want to do is create a website that is popping with visuals, colours and information, something modern.. rather than the websites here where they are just text on a plain background with some pics and a phone number.

To me that seems like it should be my first idea anyway. As whenever i need a service first thing i do is search the net.

Again appreciate the advice.

Can't see this working. There are times when you will have to bring the computer away no matter how skilful you are and a vehicle I would say is a must. I bring away more than I fix onsite. You are going to lose business if you only take jobs that can be fixed onsite. Always remember, the answer's yes, what's the question. Don't turn work down if you can help it. The person your potential client will go back to the person that takes the job.

Quantify that. If you can fix it and they don't want to go with the fix then you charge. If you cannot come to a conclusion on the fault you proably shouldn't be in the business.

This is not going to be easy onsite. Client has a 500GB HD full of music and you are going to backup the drive before working? Ain't going to happen.

QUOTE]
Certainly home calls pay immediately. I only do small business so it is pay on finish, cash, cheque or Paypal with a card via my website.

Ok point understood. PC Takeaway is an option for me. There is no way i can get a car/van as i do not have a car licence or the funds to obtain one.

However i do own a very rugged and versatile desktop pc transportation case which i used when i use to go to gaming lans. I could adapt this to the bike and not have any problems getting the computer etc home.

THe only concern i had with this, and why i didn't mention it first is will the client be happy with me taking their computer away on a motorbike? I mean i could water-proof and bomb proof the transportation, liability insurance. Everything. But will they be happy for me to do it?

THe only concern i had with this, and why i didn't mention it first is will the client be happy with me taking their computer away on a motorbike? I mean i could water-proof and bomb proof the transportation, liability insurance. Everything. But will they be happy for me to do it?

Well if it were me, I wouldn't let you take my laptop or a desktop away on a bike - but I'm sure there'll be a few people who wouldn't be fussed

No need to be like that. If you was to suggest i keep the prices around the same i would probably take your advice on board, like i said i'm looking for help. I dont aim to be another one of those guys that will do a call out really cheap and do a rubbish job.

I plan to have multiple shops in the future etc so i need the advice, not the hateful comments.

I think it's stretching it a bit to call my comments "hateful" LOL

I'm not meaning to put you down at all. Once you've been in the business for a bit you'll know exactly where I'm coming from because the prices are driven down (i.e. your livelihood at some point, hopefully) by people with other jobs, or kids just playing at the job for a while. They immediately jump to competing on price and undecut the market. This devalues the whole industry. It's not a good thing because it's not real competition from real business-people with long-term businesses creating a competitive market. It's just fly-by-nights dragging things down.

I'm not suggesting you're like that but merely expressing my feelings on the undercutting mentality.

My advice would be to find out what everyone else is charging and charge the same and see how that goes. It will take you a while to get the volume of work and to calculate what £ you really make per hour as opposed to the sales income which are two completely different things. Once you work that out you realise that being cheap is not viable without big volume. Far better to set your stall out as a prime quality business off the bat. But that's just my opinion.

As Martyn says, you might struggle to only do onsite stuff, especially initially. You will see things you cannot fix because you've not seen them before - things that more experienced people could fix onsite. Only one way to get that experience. Being able to take them home gives you an out when you're stuck for ideas and the clock is ticking. So I'd invest in some panniers big enough for a large desktop and your kit. Then you can be flexible enough to get the chops you'll need for the future.

Sound advice.

The businesses around here aren't all that cracked up. There are around 5 that i can find online who operate in my town. None of them are jack-of-all-trades, which aim to be.

THeir websites are not very nice to look at and leave you a bit misty. FIrst thing i want to do is create a website that is popping with visuals, colours and information, something modern.. rather than the websites here where they are just text on a plain background with some pics and a phone number.

To me that seems like it should be my first idea anyway. As whenever i need a service first thing i do is search the net.

Again appreciate the advice.

For websites, I can recommend 16k's ultimatetechsite http://theultimatetechsite.com

A few of us have the package, and Jim's support is second to none.

If you would like to see what it turns out like, you can view Martyn's www.hobit.co.uk

or mine, www.cadisheadcomputers.co.uk

It is fully customisable, and Jim can assist with SEO too. :)

After reading this your pretty much a slightly older version of my self. From my extensive research and question asking your probably going to have some issues with the whole taking pcs away and will be better off just taking the faulty components as in most cases it will be a hdd or a motherboard that you can replace onsite after diagnosing it etc.

Looking forward to chatting with you though.

Also @ undercutting although I know ill find it harder to get work I intend to charge no more then 10% less as I dont want to cause an issue for my self in advance as like its already been said it devalues the market as a whole.

Thanks for the suggestions interesting site there :)

Few more questions. I feel i could go ahead with transporting pc's on a motorbike. If someone doesn't trust me that's fine. Can't get them all (maybe one day).

1) What insurance will i need to cover the computer in transit e.g computer falls off the bike/accident with other vehicle. Is this courier insurance or public liability?

2) As i will be operating my workshop from home, do i need to register as a business? if so is sole trader best? I'm assuming i will have to pay tax on all work done aswell?

Insurance - you will need to insure the bike for business use, be prepared for one hell of a shock especially when you tell them what you will be carrying.

You will also need Goods in Transit insurance, possibly with a clause which specifically allows high value target goods.

You will need to have business cover insurance on goods kept at your house and make sure that it has full cover for customer's property that is in your posession.

Finally, you will need Public Liability insurance to cover you anytime you are working outside of your home.

It is so refreshing to see someone who is willing to work for reduced rates and still want do everything necessary to operate as a proper business.

Judging by what I was paying as a courier who carried target goods, insurance for someone your age will probably be in the region of £60 - £90 per week (paid annually in advance).

Yes you will need to register with the inland revenue as a self employed person. You must do this within 3 months of actually starting work. Sole trader is good, but with this, it also carries responsibilities. If you should go bust, you are personally responsible for any debts owed.

Tax.

You only pay tax on any and all profits. Less your allowed tax code. Seeing as its your first business, do not expect to make any profits during at least your first year.

For questions like these have a check around for a local business link group within your area. They are best suited to answering these type of questions, rather than a computer repair forum. Either that, or check with a local accountant. Most of them offer free 30 mins advice.

Back