Time Tracking /Billing Software - What does everyone use?

thatdude

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newb on this forum and curious what everyone uses for Time Tracking and Billing Software. Our team was a big fan of an online application called FreshBooks. However, we were forced to be migrated from our FreshBooks Classic Subscription to the all "new and improved" FreshBooks about a month ago. We're finding it's not right for us. As I type this email the site is down....again.

As the owner of the business I also use QuickBooks Online for our accounting because FreshBooks is not good at it. My accountant made me switch years ago. Anyone used the Time Tracking addons for QuickBooks Online?

Lastly, I searched the forum thinking, "This had to be discussed here before." I couldn't find anything. If this has been asked before please point me to that post.

Thanks Everyone!

Most IT companies will turn to their helpdesk/ticketing software for this...or better yet, a PSA.

Years ago we went through 2x different helpdesk/ticketing services....mHelpdesk, and later....since we used to be an N-Able house, N-Ables "Helpdesk Manager". Both of those needed manual re-entry into Quickbooks. Engineers would note their time (and parts) in the ticketing system, and during billing time, our office manager would go through those and enter them into Quickbooks...and bill from there.

We got tired of N-Ables lack of development and price increases and declining support a couple of years ago, and moved towards SyncroMSP...to take over as our RMM, as well as helpdesk/ticketing system. And....it serves as PSA also. It does integrate with Quickbooks. Both online, and desktop versions. It can fly solo without Quickbooks....which we just started converting over to last month.

That's what we do. We're 99.9% biz clients only.

Hey guys, I'm a newb on this forum and curious what everyone uses for Time Tracking and Billing Software. Our team was a big fan of an online application called FreshBooks. However, we were forced to be migrated from our FreshBooks Classic Subscription to the all "new and improved" FreshBooks about a month ago. We're finding it's not right for us. As I type this email the site is down....again.

As the owner of the business I also use QuickBooks Online for our accounting because FreshBooks is not good at it. My accountant made me switch years ago. Anyone used the Time Tracking addons for QuickBooks Online?

Lastly, I searched the forum thinking, "This had to be discussed here before." I couldn't find anything. If this has been asked before please point me to that post.

Thanks Everyone!
I've been using T-Sheets for quite a few years, long before Intuit bought it and rebranding it Intuit Time. It works well for my needs and is perfect for tracking time across different projects/clients.

It's been a bit more buggy since Intuit bought it, but nothing major. This price has also risen which is to be expected.

I really appreciate the info @bitznpcz and @YeOldeStonecat! I finally got billing out this morning from our system and as I was finalizing things my business partner was researching Intuit Time and SyncroMSP. It seems Intuit Time would definitely be the easier migration for us and our team. May be something we test drive.

Like you @YeOldeStonecat we're 99.9% business facing as well. Of course with the exception when the President of your Law Firm client says his wife is having a problem with her Internet at home. Yeah, we'll definitely be taking care of that. Ha!

Do you currently have a helpdesk/ticketing system? Or how do you currently log your time spent at each biz client?
Going into the wayback machine, I now remember our time tracking one from over 20 years ago...Clientele.

Ah the wayback machine. A few years ago I discovered dnstrails...I think now securitytrails. Wait, let me use the wayback machine and check.

We use FreshDesk for our ticketing and we've also explored using it for billing as well. I was more curious from everyone what they were using to make sure we're not missing a golden goose somewhere.

We use the latest version of TeamViewer. We heavily looked at switching to ConnectWise but their downtime is much worse than Teamviewer so we decided to stick with them.

Gotcha. Although I've heard of TV for many years for remote access (and used it from time to time)...I'm not familiar with their RMM. Does it include any sort of helpdesk/ticketing system, or engineer time tracking stuff?

Time tracking: paper and pen.
Billing: Quickbooks desktop.

Yes, I realize paper and pen is terribly inefficient. However, it's also most accurate. I print of a week's worth of Outlook calendar days (separate page for each day), staple the week together and take it with me everywhere while working (I also have two pens on me at all times, as well as Post-It notes). Write down when I start and when I end, which client it was, and my gnarled shorthand for what was done. I also take TONS of notes on things, everything from "get this part" to a user's password if they leave the desk. End of the week, I aggregate all the billing into Quickbooks, marking off time with a highlighter as I add to the bill.

This works for me because I'm a one-man shop, and obviously doesn't scale well at all. I also bill weekly (knowing OP @thatdude personally, I'm pretty sure he's monthly, and also has a staff) so absolutely none of this is helpful. I've taken ribbing for being in the tech industry but also relying heavily on the equivalent of a middle-ages analog solution, but it works for me and has for a very long time.

What I'd love to see someone make:

Lawyers often use a product like TimeSlips to keep track of all billing, which is great when you're at a desk all day pounding out motions and taking calls. If there were an app on my phone that I could click when I start and when I end, the client, and notes about the work, and then have all that data feed into Quickbooks automatically to generate invoices, that would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat. Ideally the app would also aggregate tickets coming in, as well as phone calls, emails, and texts from clients to create to-do lists and have action items. To date, I've not found anything remotely useful like that.

@mattsnoddy,

Dude, we definitely need to talk more. Some of the things you want, like a timekeeping stopwatch, integration into QuickBooks Online, and notes about what you did....Dude, you need to check out FreshBooks. Freshbooks is really for a one-man-show. We've just outgrown it. I guess I could consider it the Legal TimeSlips for one-man-shows. That's why I'm asking for other recommendations.

Time tracking: paper and pen.
+1

On-site I have a small notebook, new two-page spread for each visit; details transcribed to management/invoicing each day. Workshop has a clipboard with ruled paper, following a similar flow.

There's no way I (personally) could be as efficient keeping notes on a phone. I'm also a one-man shop: if I get to the stage where my system doesn't scale to the volume of work I'm doing, I'll be delighted ... ;-)

Lawyers often use a product like TimeSlips to keep track of all billing, which is great when you're at a desk all day pounding out motions and taking calls. If there were an app on my phone that I could click when I start and when I end, the client, and notes about the work, and then have all that data feed into Quickbooks automatically to generate invoices, that would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat. Ideally the app would also aggregate tickets coming in, as well as phone calls, emails, and texts from clients to create to-do lists and have action items. To date, I've not found anything remotely useful like that.

Take a peek at SyncroMSP....
It rolls *RMM, *Helpdesk, *Documentation, *PSA, *Billing/Payments (even online payment via CC) into 1x package.

Take a peek at SyncroMSP....
It rolls *RMM, *Helpdesk, *Documentation, *PSA, *Billing/Payments (even online payment via CC) into 1x package.
Interesting. Looking into it now, thanks for the heads up. Currently rolling my own with a combo of Freshdesk, Teamviewer, Spiceworks, Quickbooks, and elbow grease every Saturday morning.

We use Freshdesk as our ticketing and time tracking and will probably use Autotask in the future but for now it does everything we need.

Back