Teamviewer will soon require mandatory accounts

If you want something stupid simple and free/open source, try DWService (https://www.dwservice.net/en/loginsignup.html). The remote session runs directly in the web browser, and the install on the other end is super simple. It's no good for quick support-type connections, but excellent for unattended access for free.

I'm not a fan of Splashtop, especially when supporting Macs. It's one of the main reasons I left Syncro (on NinjaOne myself -- comes with their own tool which is great plug TV and Splashtop, but only ever install their tool or maybe TV). Too many times the connection won't work for some reason even when it would for something else i had on the machine (TV, anydesk for testing, DWservice, etc).

I don't think the change is going to matter for a tech using it to support unattended access machines. When the unattended access install is done, you should be tying it to your account anyway or you're not using it as licensed. I pay for 200 machines and every machine I install is tied to my license. If you're installing it without your login, then it's running on the free license, which is against the licensing agreement you signed when you bought it.

Teamviewer broke the last straw.... i just guided a person to install teamviewer and now the id and password are both gone. They are making using their product increasingly difficult. We are forced to move to another product.

Sorry i may have over reacted a little but here is the new interface. i was on the phone with a customer and they said there is no id and password. I told the customer to click on join a session and there still was no id and password. So i used quickassist instead. But after calming down i see that in join a session there is an option to use id and password.

As many of you are aware when dealing with people that dont know much about computers it can be so difficult to get them to install teamviewer even when everything works perfectly that when they start moving buttons around and change their website its very frustrating.

We have 6 licenses and just renewed a few months ago but if there was a good alternative we would be gone.

newteamviewer.png

We have 6 licenses and just renewed a few months ago but if there was a good alternative we would be gone.

Well, for the kinds of "with the client on the other end" stuff I generally do, I find that Quick Assist is perfect, and almost always trouble free. It's easy to walk even the most tech-illiterate client through starting up.

1. Hit the Windows key and immediately start typing the word, "quick".
2. Quick Assist will almost certainly be the first thing that shows up (or the only one) unless you have other software with Quick in the name.
3. Open Quick Assist and once it's open, let me know and I'll give you the code we need to connect.

This very topic is an example of why, if you don't need unattended access (and I know that many do) that I have fallen in love with Quick Assist.

It is the analog to Windows Defender in the in-person remote assistance arena. Comes with Windows, works incredibly well, has zero "side effects" of any kind that I've ever experienced or read about, and does not involve the need to install anything.

I don't really care that there is no audio component, as I always have an open phone conversation going when I am actually doing this sort of remote work, at least if the assistee wants to watch or is needed to do something (e.g., if UAC is triggered interaction with it can only occur on the machine presenting the prompt, not remotely).

While taking a look at RustDesk (if self hosted) then take a look at MeshCentral too!

Gosh, I wish I'd found MeshCentral years ago! It's amazing stuff for "free"! I've set it up on my home network just to play with it and I'm amazed how powerful it is.

The only potentially "sad" thing is the primary Devs got let go from Intel and got new jobs with Microsoft this spring which may cramp their time for working further on the project.

So, I tried the "new" client for Teamviewer and I think I'm done with it now too (new clients always end up being the only client eventually and it's awful!) Looked at a bunch of other offerings and wanted three things:
1) mainly used for "quick support" where I don't want to leave something installed, and needs to work with Windows and Mac
2) ability to install on at least a few machines for unattended access
3) ability to have more than one session running at once

I found Supremo (https://www.supremocontrol.com/). Seems like it's a very simple switch from Teamviewer, very similar, cheaper, better terms. Planning to switch later this month. Already tested against Mac and Windows and users were able to make it work fairly easily. Only downsides so far are no direct link to download the client and the client is both "quick support" and the installer in one. Might be different with a paid account.

I quit Teamviewer half a year ago because I was terribly annoyed that the clients on the remote computers had to be updated periodically. And the price was not completely satisfied. I heard that there were remote desktops in the browser, tried several options, and settled on Getscreen.me https://getscreen.me/ - not quite familiar that you can connect directly from a link in the browser, but convenient. Has anybody heard of these guys?

I also liked that they have a completely free rate for private use. And the subscription model is quite adequate for our tech support business.

Back