[REQUEST] Recommend a Gaming Laptop

Appletax

Reaction score
Had my mind set on an Alienware m15 R3 but now very interested in a Sager. Mainly want something fast that is not likely to give me any headaches and has great customer service in case something goes wrong. I really want a 4K display as I am used to my MacBook Pro's hiDPI screen. I do not like 1080p for general non-gaming use.

Alienware m15 R3 - i7-10875H (8-core), RTX 2070, 32GB DDR4-2666GHz, 4K OLED 60Hz

SAGER NP8458F2 - i7-10875H (8-core), RTX 2070 Super, 32GB DDR4-3200GHz, 4K OLED 60Hz

> Xotic PC extras:
  • THERMAL GRIZZLY KRYONAUT THERMAL PASTE- GPU & CPU
  • FUJIPOLY EXTREME THERMAL PADS ON HEAT SENSITIVE SURFACES FOR SUPERIOR COOLING PERFORMANCE
  • COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - EXTRA COOLING COPPER HEATSINKS APPLIED TO THE HEATSINK/HEATPIPES
  • PROFESSIONAL MONITOR CALIBRATION

Should I get an extended warranty? $273 for Dell and only $99 for SAGER.

LAPTOP QUESTIONNAIRE

Total budget (in local currency) and country of purchase. Please do not use USD unless purchasing in the USD
- $2,300

Are you open to refurbs/used?
- No

How would you prioritize form factor (ultrabook, 2-in-1, etc.), build quality, performance, and battery life?
- Needs to be high build quality - no cheap crap, fast (8+ cores, RTX 2070+)

How important is weight and thinness to you?
- Portable-ish (not a beast 8 pounder)

Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.
- 15" 4K

Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.
- Gaming

If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?
- Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3. 60FPS @ 1440p. I want a 4K monitor for the sharp text but know I'd need like a future 3080 mobile chip to get good frames at that resolution.

Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?
- Good keyboard with backlight. Reliable AF.

A friend just bought a Dell (Alienware) G7 17 with the same specs as those you've mentioned. It only has 16GB ram though.
Day 3 and she loves it. Powers through any game she loads up.

There was so much garbage installed I wiped it and put a fresh copy of Windows on it.

Her only criticism is that it is a bit noisy during gameplay. But she will get used to it.

AU$2990, so about $2200 in your money.

Back