Rack ears for Dell R740xd?

HCHTech

Reaction score
I have this server at a client owner's home as an offsite backup server. Right now, it's sitting on a large shelf in their finished basement, and I'd like to mount it more securely on one of those wall-mount vertical racks. Like this.

These servers are constructed to use sliding rails, though, and the front bezel doesn't contain any way to affix the server to a vertical rack. So, it looks like I would need to use the normal sliding rails, but that seems dumb. Is there some kind of rack ear adapter plate or something I could use instead? I don't want to Macgyver this up too much, but I don't think Dell ever considered you might want to use a vertical rack.

Suggestions?

Wouldn’t do that. You risk overheating it. It’s designed both for air flow through the box and radiation heat up out of the box.

I would say instead, make sure the airflow isn't obstructed and monitor the temps to make sure it doesn't overheat. You might be right, I've never tried it, though.

The problem is the existing ears have stuff wired in so you can't change them. There's nothing wrong with using the vertical rack linked. I've seen plenty of vertical racks enclosures with all kinds of equipment in them. Working just fine. One thing I'd look at is to use a nut, washers and bolt on each side, left and right, and front and back of the server. The existing ears are sufficient to hang the server. But I'd also put in a shelf to support the bottom as a "just in case".

The problem is the existing ears have stuff wired in so you can't change them. There's nothing wrong with using the vertical rack linked. I've seen plenty of vertical racks enclosures with all kinds of equipment in them. Working just fine. One thing I'd look at is to use a nut, washers and bolt on each side, left and right, and front and back of the server.

Yes, I agree that you can't remove the existing ears. But you also can't put a bolt & nut through them either. Even if I use the sliding rails, there's no place to do a nut & bolt instead of the little barbed clips they use on the front/top, plus there is no way to support the back/bottom end of the rails either - I don't want to build some kind of enclosure - I was just hoping there was Dell part number iTd03sn7fI7 that I'd have to order to mount it securely. No dice on that, it appears. I might have to give in on this one and leave it on the darned shelf.

Yes, I agree that you can't remove the existing ears. But you also can't put a bolt & nut through them either. Even if I use the sliding rails, there's no place to do a nut & bolt instead of the little barbed clips they use on the front/top, plus there is no way to support the back/bottom end of the rails either - I don't want to build some kind of enclosure - I was just hoping there was Dell part number iTd03sn7fI7 that I'd have to order to mount it securely. No dice on that, it appears. I might have to give in on this one and leave it on the darned shelf.
The picture below is what I was trying to explain. Green dots are the bolt, washers, and nut. Adjacent to the top and bottom of each existing ear.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 4.23.58 PM.png

And if you want to be a belt and suspenders type of person you could make a strap, aka bracket, to go across each ear. Webbing material would work fine. You can put some shims between the strap and ear to make it tight.

I'm going onsite this Thursday to inspect the space - I'm expecting to have to put in a wood plate or something so I can tie to two studs. The bracket will need to be as solid as possible. It's a backup server and full of drives, so heavy. Probably 60# or so, I'd guess. A quick google says 73#! Of course they don't mention if that is with drives or not, now the quidnunc in me is going to want an exact answer....I'll have to bring a scale!

Back