How much equipment is too much for a wallmount rack?

Dont install the wall rack yourself. seriously. have a company install it for you, one that does this kind of work regularly. Even if its not really structural with the backboard, id still place it under the same category.

Servers in a wall rack, as long as the can breathe is all that matters. but i dont know about putting the UPS in there.

Personally, i would have done a 2 post or 4 post bolted into the floor.

That looks like a substantial board, but the thought of mounting servers (and a battery!) on the wall like that gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I'd at least make sure to scan across the wall above the board to identify where the studs are, and make sure the board is anchored to the studs not just into sheetrock. The only thing worse than the server rack falling off the wall would be the server rack pulling the whole wall over.

Rack came in, took shrink wrap and cardboard off and the door is dented real good, barely closes & sticks. *sigh* Working with my distributor on returning it. The customer said today no desk now in the IT/AV room. They keep changing their mind on every aspect of this new office building.

I've had the last few racks dented. These usually are up higher so I complain get a huge discount and call it a day.

So what's the best way to transition the cable to a floor rack? I need access front and rear. Cable trays need to be bolted on both ends from what I've seen.

Damages? LOL!!! I've had several installs where I came in and the customer already had a rack. One was so bent I could not close the front door or put on one of the side panels. But it had been shipped from the parent company so they had to live with it.

As far as transitioning the cable run. Since they already have it done, using the conduit stubs, all you can do is add conduit or just bundle it if you are going with a floor rack. Personally I'd tell them the best thing to do is use the wall mounted rack, mount it high as there will be knockouts on the top. Eventually they will probably complain about the wasted space if it's on the floor, put stuff on top of the rack like their coffee cups, etc. I learned a long time ago to make sure that every effort must be made to make sure that electronics are above any surface that might be used to put things, like coffee cups.

What transition do you mean. Just mount patch panel towards top and cable tie into a nice bundle to each patch.

I use keystone patch panels and generally do patch, switch, patch, switch

How do people feel about leaving a chunk of those loops of cable coiled (neatly, and wrapped) on top of the rack as a service loop? That or terminating to patch panels up near where they come out, then using patch cables over to the actual equipment rack?

What transition do you mean. Just mount patch panel towards top and cable tie into a nice bundle to each patch.

I use keystone patch panels and generally do patch, switch, patch, switch
I'm re-thinking about getting a floor rack, 24U would be more than enough space. If I want access to the front and rear of the rack (and doors to swing out without hitting walls, 6' x 8' room dimensions roughly), I'd have to put it in front of the backboard, with rear door facing the backboard. So that would mean a transition from the backboard by at least 3 feet to the top of the floor rack to bring the cabling into the rack. Maybe I am just over-analyzing things. I want it to be as best as I can do and not think "hey I wish I had done it a different way" years later. The room can be locked (handset would need to be changed), so I guess I don't have to get a locking cabinet.

How do people feel about leaving a chunk of those loops of cable coiled (neatly, and wrapped) on top of the rack as a service loop? That or terminating to patch panels up near where they come out, then using patch cables over to the actual equipment rack?
I plan to leave a service loop if there is enough cable. I don't make an actual loop (i.e. circle) of cable. I like the U shaped service loop.

Back