Quickbooks questions...

DocGreen

Reaction score
OK so I use Quickbooks for pretty much everything right now... yes, I know I should switch to one of the ticketing systems (PCRT, mHelpDesk, etc) but that's not going to happen today.

I feel like I could be doing things better, or more properly in Quickbooks. Here's the procedure I'm currently using...

1. Customer calls, I fill out an Initial Contact Form (paper).
  2. If it's a new customer, I create the customer in Quickbooks.
  3. Use Quickbooks to create an estimate. Print one copy to PDF and file away on the server, Print 2 hard copies, one for the customer, another for their file.
  4. Pickup PC from Customer. They sign my copy of the Estimate and fill out a service contract (paper).
  5. If any changes or adjustments need to be made to the estimate, it is ammended and emailed to the customer., then saved/printed as above as a v2 of the original.
  6. When the job is finished, Estimate is converted to an Invoice. Invoice is saved/printed as above and emailed to the customer.
  7. When the computer is returned, customer is given a hard copy of the invoice. When payment is made, all copies are stamped as paid.
  8. Payment is "received" into Quickbooks.
  9. Deposit is recorded minus any processing fees.

I've been playing around with some of the features in Quickbooks, and it looks like I should maybe be using the "Job" feature where every time a customer calls (including repeats) I create the customer, and I also create a job under the customer... each new service is a new job. After looking into that and seeing how that works, I'm wondering what else I could be doing better.

One thing I would like to accomplish with Quickbooks is Work Orders. I've done some googling and seen some really convoluted ways to do it... Does anyone know of any methods? Maybe a plug-in?

Mhelpdesk integrates into Quickbooks.

That's all you're going to get without being really round about for it. Quickbooks is designed for accounting, inventory control, job costs and payroll ... all involving money.

You're really not going to be able to keep track of work orders/jobs/tickets in Quickbooks without getting really creative with it.

OK so I use Quickbooks for pretty much everything right now... yes, I know I should switch to one of the ticketing systems (PCRT, mHelpDesk, etc) but that's not going to happen today.

I feel like I could be doing things better, or more properly in Quickbooks. Here's the procedure I'm currently using...

3. Use Quickbooks to create an estimate. Print one copy to PDF and file away on the server, Print 2 hard copies, one for the customer, another for their file.
  4. Pickup PC from Customer. They sign my copy of the Estimate and fill out a service contract (paper).
  5. If any changes or adjustments need to be made to the estimate, it is ammended and emailed to the customer., then saved/printed as above as a v2 of the original.
  6. When the job is finished, Estimate is converted to an Invoice. Invoice is saved/printed as above and emailed to the customer.
  7. When the computer is returned, customer is given a hard copy of the invoice. When payment is made, all copies are stamped as paid.

I've been playing around with some of the features in Quickbooks, and it looks like I should maybe be using the "Job" feature where every time a customer calls (including repeats) I create the customer, and I also create a job under the customer... each new service is a new job. After looking into that and seeing how that works, I'm wondering what else I could be doing better.

One thing I would like to accomplish with Quickbooks is Work Orders. I've done some googling and seen some really convoluted ways to do it... Does anyone know of any methods? Maybe a plug-in?

+1 for mHelpdesk. I use QB as well but everything is kept in MHD. I export everything out once a week or so to QB. I then use QB to handle my business checking account, business credit card, sales tax, etc.

mHelpdesk also creates a vcard for all contacts and I export that into Outlook which syncs via Exchange to all of my devices.

On a side note: I throw in Evernote to boot which holds all of my documentation. Evernote adds a sweet button to Outlook and it copies all of the contact info with a single click. I also keep documentation in mHelpdesk and Outlook under notes. Coming from a healthcare background, I'm big on documentation. I'm not sure where I want to keep my "permanent" notes so I currently replicate them between MHD, Outlook and Evernote.

Lastly I use Evernote for a make shift "Wiki". If I run across an odd repair or fix that I want to remember, I add that to Evernote and tag it appropriately which makes searching a snap.

Just my little system...works great for my purposes.

@carrcomp and @hubcitypc BIG thanks for the support.

@docgreen - Here is what you're doing:

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45550&highlight=mhelpdesk

Here's what you could be doing with Mhelpdesk

1. Customer calls you create a Service Ticket (Job) in Mhelpdesk. An Estimate will be automatically added for you. Just add your time and materials. PDFs can be emailed to them right from the UI. No need to print if you have a mobile device like an iPhone. They can finger sign with our app.
  2. Pickup PC from customer, hand your iPhone over to the customer and have them finger sign the Estimate
  3. If any changes are needed, just amend the Estimate on your iPhone or laptop. Send it to them through Mhelpdesk.
  4. When the job is finished, Invoice is ready. Send an online invoice and let the customer pay it online (optional)
  5. Mhelpdesk marks everything as paid once payment is received and sends the transaction to Quickbooks

You could eliminate 4 steps from your workflow and save hours off your week with Mhelpdesk. I can tell that your current process is slow. Being able to work in one convenient place is truly going to save you some headaches. With the hours you save, you could probably get more billable work done during the week.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Vincent-

I've spent the past hour or so looking at the different options (mHelpDesk, PCRT, RepairShopr). I'm honestly still undecided at this point, but after seeing all of the features I could have, I'm starting to think it's silly not to switch. Really the only thing holding me back is the extra expense. I'm running things really lean right now, so I want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck, so to say.

Here's a question about mHelpDesk...

Currently I have my customers sign a service contract prior to any work... I'd posted about it in another thread: http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45258
I was already wanting to change things up a bit and move to more of a work order instead of what I have now. Does mHelpDesk have anything like this? Basically, I want to document that the customer is giving me xxxx, yyyy, and zzzz items with aaa, bbb, and ccc problems, and have their signature authorizing me to do the work.

Last edited:
Mhelpdesk +1. As far as your question about creating a work order within it - absolutely you can. You can customize all the fine print and terms on it and signature at the bottom. You could do it like a real boss and have them sign the work order on your tablet or smartphone. I am currently running the android app and it works nice.

1. Customer calls you create a Service Ticket (Job) in Mhelpdesk. An Estimate will be automatically added for you. Just add your time and materials. PDFs can be emailed to them right from the UI. No need to print if you have a mobile device like an iPhone. They can finger sign with our app.
  2. Pickup PC from customer, hand your iPhone over to the customer and have them finger sign the Estimate
  3. If any changes are needed, just amend the Estimate on your iPhone or laptop. Send it to them through Mhelpdesk.
  4. When the job is finished, Invoice is ready. Send an online invoice and let the customer pay it online (optional)
  5. Mhelpdesk marks everything as paid once payment is received and sends the transaction to Quickbooks

You could eliminate 4 steps from your workflow and save hours off your week with Mhelpdesk. I can tell that your current process is slow. Being able to work in one convenient place is truly going to save you some headaches. With the hours you save, you could probably get more billable work done during the week.

Hope this helps.

Nothing says thanks like a service credit ;)

Jk ... but yeah. Happy to help.

Hope this helps.

Vincent,

Would I be able to take the awesomely managed work orders that Bryce has made in the business kit and import them into mHelpDesk? I've already created them into input and signature enabled PDF documents.

I've never seen the work orders in the Business kit, but ours are complete based off of HTML templates. So technically, you should be able to customize them to look like anything you want. Our work orders just auto populate the data from the system.

I will have to take a look at that trial then. This would be cheaper then the Zendesk PSA I was looking at.

I also switched over to mhelpdesk on 02-01-2013. I can tell you that I was similar to your current setup and it has really saved me a ton of time and also now more organized with mhelpdesk. I would highly recommend getting a free trial setup of their service and you will be impressed on how easy but powerful it is!

I will have to take a look at that trial then. This would be cheaper then the Zendesk PSA I was looking at.

Depends on how many techs you have.

Zendesk (if I remember correctly) isn't charged based on techs .. whereas Mhelpdesk is.

That said, mHelpdesk also does invoicing and Paypal integration, 2 things you need to pay extra for with Zen

How does something like Connectwise play into this? Does it replace mhelpdesk or is it an entirely different beast?

Connectwise is also a PSA tool but it is very expensive. I looked at them along with Autotask and Tigerpaw. For our company with 3 users it was over $12k plus huge yearly maintenance fees!

So I took the plunge into mHelpDesk... so far I'm just tooling around and trying to get used to it. Looking forward to writing up my first customer, but at the same time a little nervous that I'll trip up and look like a bonehead, lol.

So I took the plunge into mHelpDesk... so far I'm just tooling around and trying to get used to it. Looking forward to writing up my first customer, but at the same time a little nervous that I'll trip up and look like a bonehead, lol.

I ran through about 6 test service requests before placing into production. Prior to Mhelpdesk I wasn't using any software or service of this sort.

I ran through about 6 test service requests before placing into production. Prior to Mhelpdesk I wasn't using any software or service of this sort.

I've done a couple test services as well.... but I think I may do a full mock-up with Amanda as my customer so I can see how smoothly things go with someone else on the other side of the exchange.

Back