Power Panel: My new app to control common computer functions

gexos

Reaction score
Hey Technibble community,

I'm excited to introduce you to a project I've been working on called Power Panel. Power Panel is a script designed to streamline common computer control functions through automation, aiming to enhance productivity and simplify user experience.

What is Power Panel?

Power Panel is a script implemented in AutoIt, leveraging its robust set of functions and libraries to create a graphical interface for executing various system commands. The script offers a user-friendly interface featuring buttons for actions like shutting down, restarting, putting the computer to sleep, and locking the screen. Additionally, it includes a menu bar for accessing these functions and displaying essential system information.

The provided code showcases how the script is structured and how each function operates. By utilizing AutoIt's built-in functions and libraries, Power Panel efficiently executes system commands while maintaining a high level of reliability and performance.

Feedback and Contributions:

I'm continuously working to improve Power Panel and welcome any feedback or contributions from the Technibble community. Whether you have suggestions for new features or enhancements, or if you encounter any issues while using the script, feel free to share your thoughts.

Virus Alert:

Is Power Panel and AutoIt in general a virus? The answer is a resounding NO!

Some antivirus programs flag AutoIt scripts as potential threats due to certain characteristics that may resemble malicious behavior. These characteristics could include actions such as automating keystrokes or mouse movements, accessing system functions, or interacting with other software processes. While these actions are often benign and intended for legitimate purposes like automation or software testing, they can trigger alerts in antivirus software designed to detect suspicious activity.

Addressing False Positives:

False positives occur when antivirus software mistakenly identifies harmless files as threats. While antivirus programs play a crucial role in protecting systems from real threats, false positives can be a source of frustration for users, especially when they impact legitimate software like AutoIt scripts. It's important to reassure users that encountering a false positive doesn't necessarily mean their system is infected, but rather that the antivirus software has flagged a file based on certain criteria. Users should exercise caution and use additional tools like online scanners or second opinions from other antivirus programs to verify the legitimacy of flagged files.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback.

Best regards, Gexos

You can find the script on GitHub: https://github.com/Gexos/Power-Panel
You can download the executable from here:
I made a post on my blog where I explain how the script works https://gexos.mymagic.page/power-panel-my-new-app-to-control/

Last edited:
Nice little app, but I'm not sure how that's useful when all those functions are only a click or two away anyhow.

It would be useful for one client I have that's 95 years old and I made him an icon for shutdown.

Those things (except Lock) are on the Power Menu (right-click on Windows Start button). Lock is simply Windows key + L.

I'd really like a simple/quick alternative to common Disk Management and DiskPart functions. Like Add or remove drive letter and Clean Disk. And a fast way to Delete files/folders that bypasses File Explorer's excruciatingly slow delete function. Would need to be portable for easy use on customer PCs.

And a fast way to Delete files/folders that bypasses File Explorer's excruciatingly slow delete function. Would need to be portable for easy use on customer PCs.
A simple registry edit or a portable program like "Right Click Extender," or (my favourite) "Ultimate Windows Context Menu Customiser" by Kishan Bagaria,
I have a "Permanently delete this file/folder" in my Right Click Context Menu that is as simple as a RC the file/folder and left click "Permanently Delete."
Thats it...done.

Shawn Brink has a .reg file you simply click on as well (there is also a remove .reg) Makes it easy...

And if you want to do it yourself do this...

This is on Windows 11 btw.

RC.png

Last edited:
that bypasses File Explorer's excruciatingly slow delete function

Not sure if it's enough, but using SHIFT + Del after having selected your files bypasses the Recycle Bin, and that can speed things up quite a bit.

I don't know why File Explorer's native delete seems to have slowed down as much as it has over the years. When I'm doing a mass delete I'd love to have a way that I know, absolutely know, tells Windows: Do not use the Recycle bin and just rush through all the blocks involved marking them as free. You should be able to cover a mind-boggling large number of blocks very, very quickly.

"Permanently delete this file/folder" in my Right Click Context Menu
But is that any faster than Shift-Delete? I wasn't referring to sending stuff to the Recycle Bin, that's a little slower again.
Not sure if it's enough, but using SHIFT + Del after having selected your files bypasses the Recycle Bin, and that can speed things up quite a bit.
That's what I use for bulk deletes. Makes it a little faster but still slow.
I'd love to have a way that I know, absolutely know, tells Windows: Do not use the Recycle bin and just rush through all the blocks involved marking them as free. You should be able to cover a mind-boggling large number of blocks very, very quickly.
Yes it should be almost instant. There are utilities that can do it fast, mainly command line or copy utilities which are overly complicated for the simple task of deleting a folder full of files. The fact that these exist means a simple script with a GUI front end should be able to do it.

Utilities that can be added to File Explorer context menu can't really be installed on customer PCs so don't help much.

I suppose I'm just wishing for a File Explorer that works well!

Yes I have noticed that at times when deleting files from %\AppData\Local\Temp% on some systems it can hang at 99% for some time. I found rebuilding the index tends to help when the explorer bar goes into the "Green Mile".

Back