Outlook 2010 - Merge PSTs

@callthatgirl I know... and people will continue to use out of support software for an age after MS drops it. But there is rumblings of actively disabling the software via Windows Update because it's THAT BAD.

I have a hard time believing it will come to that end specifically, but I know MS wants that old stuff gone.

Once Teams is done, Outlook PRE will take over, We've got at most 24 months.

If Microsoft gets Outlook PRE to have the feature set of Outlook Classic, which is a MUST before it would be adopted by the vast majority of business users, in 2 years I'll eat my hat.

Outlook PRE remains so "not ready for prime time" that I doubt they'll have it there in 36 to 48 months, if that. It's also an accessibility nightmare compared to Outlook 365 desktop, which actually matters, too.

Microsoft has screwed the pooch by releasing both Outlook PRE and Outlook for Windows way too far ahead of their being close to being able to replace Outlook desktop (though Outlook for Windows is just fine for replacing te Mail, People, and Calendar apps).

Last edited:
@Sky-Knight I can see then deactivating if you need to reinstall, kinda crappy to do to people who thought they bought it for life lol. I've upgraded so many people with products due to do "things not working" meaning, that's how they get rid of it. One bad update and you're done.

I'm going to just start pushing Exchange to all my Pop/PST clients as well as people on IMAP, they all have 3rd party connectors for synching contacts and calendar.

I also have been working on my career path options since hearing this 2029 deadline, now I might need to accelerate some things.

@callthatgirl One of the largest lies of our time... than anyone other than the author ever owns "software". This applies to any intellectual property, but software is where the money is so the individual is screwed.

As for the rest... good luck.

I'm doing the AI thing now, which means I use AI to read email, use AI to write email, and then that person uses AI to read the email I used AI to create and generates a reply using AI.

The absurdity is beyond the pale. All that being said, I used AI to write a silly poem thanking my wife for doing the grocery shopping yesterday, and it made her roll her eyes so hard she laughed. The tool certainly has value, I'm just trying to figure out WHERE that value exists beyond the stupid.

Copilot in Excel does a really good job of discovering pivot table structures I wouldn't think of on my own... not to mention lets people that don't know how to use pivot tables, use pivot tables... that's handy.

Last edited:
My exbf asked chatgpt to write me a sexy poem in powershell about Outlook, it was brilliant.

I know tech is going to change a lot in the next 5 years, then 10 after that. I'm doing a 365 full tour training for a company that wants to see how a day would look like for a usual end user. I'm doing two versions, desktop and online. Really going to be putting prep time into the online one as I feel that with Windows365, the apps on the computer will be more used and less desktop apps. My mind is spinning as I even think about this.

My exbf asked chatgpt to write me a sexy poem in powershell about Outlook, it was brilliant.

I know tech is going to change a lot in the next 5 years, then 10 after that. I'm doing a 365 full tour training for a company that wants to see how a day would look like for a usual end user. I'm doing two versions, desktop and online. Really going to be putting prep time into the online one as I feel that with Windows365, the apps on the computer will be more used and less desktop apps. My mind is spinning as I even think about this.
Outlook PRE, and New Teams are just browsers themselves, all the on premise applications are moving in this direction.

And no, Windows 365 comes with M365 apps preinstalled, Azure VDI does the same thing with a little extra work. It's honestly an assumption of mine that if the endpoint is Windows, it's got the apps on it.

Classic Outlook will not disappear in 2 years and this is direct from Microsoft. At least not for perpetual licences.

"Existing installations of classic Outlook for Windows through perpetual licensing will continue to be supported.

Please note that the cutover stage does not signify the end of support for classic Outlook for Windows. We will continue to honor published support timelines for existing version of classic Outlook for Windows until at least 2029."

Can't promise they won't cripple it in other ways though.
Look at Outlook 2019 which is supported until 2025 however not officially supported for use with Exchange online. I'm sure the same will happen with Classic Outlook soon enough. Plus they will reserve any new features going forward for New Outlook.

Plus they will reserve any new features going forward for New Outlook.

Well, while that may be true, they still need to fold in many, many, many existing features of Outlook Desktop (any of the modern versions from 2016 onward) into New Outlook/Outlook PRE/whatever they call it next.

What I find particularly perverse about the MS TechCommunity material you reference is that they are using the phrasing "Outlook for Windows" when they really mean New Outlook/Outlook PRE.

Outlook for Windows became the official branding for the multi-function client that replaces the Windows 10 and 11 Mail, People, and Calendar apps that is in the process of rolling out as we speak. Windows 11 on new machines has been shipping with it for months now.

Microsoft has done no one, least of all themselves, any favors by using the name "Outlook" for too damned many different things, and different things that are largely unrelated. They can't even keep their own Outlooks straight, obviously.

I've flipped the switch to go from Outlook 365 to New Outlook multiple times over the months and New Outlook has barely seen any changes, and most of the functionality I use is just not in it. If you can't have rules, real, complex rules, then New Outlook is a non-starter for me. And that's far from the only thing missing.

When I saw this old old thread get bounced...and with "PST" in the title...(meaning...old old residential email client crud)...I figured it was those overseas spammers from StellarInfo hawking...err..spamming... their junkware.

Well that is going to be one heck of a screwup isn't it

Well, as the article clearly states, this slow (glacially slow, if you ask me) transition away from Control Panel to a single Settings App has been going on for years now.

I read it and thought to myself, "This is newsworthy? It's just the slow drip, drip, drip that's been happening, and will continue to happen."

To put the words of Twain to use for Control Panel, "Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated." I fully expect the current dual system to remain in place for years to come, with a very slow transition of things out of Control Panel and into Settings.

Well, as the article clearly states, this slow (glacially slow, if you ask me) transition away from Control Panel to a single Settings App has been going on for years now.

I read it and thought to myself, "This is newsworthy? It's just the slow drip, drip, drip that's been happening, and will continue to happen."

To put the words of Twain to use for Control Panel, "Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated." I fully expect the current dual system to remain in place for years to come, with a very slow transition of things out of Control Panel and into Settings.

I remember reading about control panel being gradually replaced when Windows 8 was released. That's how long they have been dragging their heels on this. Over a decade.

That's how long they have been dragging their heels on this. Over a decade.

And probabilities are that it will take at least that much longer. The switch over has been incredibly slow, and a function or two at a time when things do go over. There have also been several times where "in both places" or "part in settings, part still in control panel" existed. Some of the latter still exists if you drill down far enough, you end up in the classic Control Panel dialogs.

Back