Outlook 2010 - Merge PSTs

DCGPX

Reaction score
Need a bit of advice on this , I'm by no means an Outlook expert.

I was at a home business clients yesterday and he asked if it was possible to move his Outlook files to 'My Document' so he could back up same as rest of his business documents.

(Finally someone who understands principle of backups!)

So I move his PSTs to the Outlook folder in My Docs - There were 5, one for each of his business emails in IMAP setup so he can sync(ish) to his Iphone.

All is well and working fine, then he asks why 5 separate PSTs? I replied thats the way Outlook sets up IMAPs and as far as I know only POP accounts go into a single PST file.

So he asks can the others be merged into one single file?

Which is what I didn't know so said I'd look into it.

I've googled and found example of putting the folders into another PST but what wasnt clear is does the account info go with then. If I then delete the PST will it stop collecting the emails for that account?

I looked at PSTMerge from Systools but again nothing mentioned about transferring account setups into a single PST.

Personally I'd have thought it best to keep separate PSTs but he's now intent on having just the one.

Anyone ever merged IMAPs into one PST? If it can be done I'd assume they must use extensive rules to separate the emails as they'd go into one Inbox?

Appreciate any pointers - I dont want to mess with business emails without at least some good idea if it can be done or not safely.

Thanks

First, make a backup of all pst's before you begin.

Then, select one to be the master. Then open each of the non master psts and export the folders that you wish to merge.

Then open the master and one by one import the exported folders. Check box not to make duplicates.

If it works well you should end up with a single master pst that has all your email, contacts and calender events in one place.

I thought about doing this for a lawyer of mine who has four or five psts of 2 Gbs or more each. But then I worry if it will work withthat much data in it.

You can good merge outlook to see if there is a utility out there.

I don't think you can do this when using IMAP accounts can you?

After all, IMAP mailboxes are supposed to be synced with other email clients you may be using. How can that happen if the different mailboxes are potentially receiving different sets of mail?

BTW for general one-off merging of PSTs I often find the best way is just to cut and paste the mail data manually inside Outlook.

that only can be done with pop. it doesnt makes sense with imap1.

i forward my other e-mail acounts so i would have only 1 pst. if he only writes from one this might be the easiest

I would tell the client it's a bad idea to put his 5 eggs in one basket.

When a PST file goes corrupt, it might be 'unrepairable', and he might have to go back to his last backup (and lose 1 week or day of email?).

And you can't merge the IMAP storage files anyway.

Also: is he keeping a copy of his IMAP emails somewhere? He'd loose them all if the IMAP server decides to clear him out.

You can also offer to setup rules so that either:
- Outlook moves or copies all incoming email into 1 inbox folder.
- Outlook runs an 'inbox' search query to show all 'inbox type' email, and also maybe a separate query for 'unread' email.

Well thanks for responses, I'm meeting with client Weds as he wants two laptops tuning up so whilst there I'll explain it cant be done along with the pro's and cons.

I think best idea is just to verify his backup systems are adequate if his emails are business critical.

What's being used for backup?

Many backup/sync programs struggle with PST files as Outlook keeps file locked. You will see errors along the lines "File in use by another process".

The backup only succeeds when Outlook is closed which for many business users = never

PS.
The obligatory comment on Outlook 2010.
If the client is truly concerned about data they shouldn't be using a 14 year old and entirely unsupported email client.

IF you are wanting to merge all into one .pst you will need to backup the pst file into another folder say [BACKUP]
Also export the Contact and Calendar as well just in case. Then you can do the following -

Code:
Open Microsoft Outlook 2010.
Click on the "File" tab in the top-left corner of the Outlook window.
Select "Open & Export" from the left-hand menu.
Choose "Import/Export" from the options.
In the Import and Export Wizard, select "Import from another program or file" and click "Next."
Choose "Outlook Data File (.pst)" and click "Next."
Click on the "Browse" button to locate the PST file you want to import. Repeat this step for each PST file you want to merge.
Select the option "Do not import duplicates" or choose the appropriate option for handling duplicates.
Choose the folder where you want to import the PST file(s). You can select an existing folder or create a new one.
Click "Finish" to start the import process.

Outlook will merge the contents of the selected PST files into the specified folder in your Outlook mailbox. Keep in mind that this process may take some time depending on the size of the PST files and the amount of data they contain.

Though personally I would consult with your client about upgrading to 365 Business Standard. I understand the client want's to use Office 2010, though not only being a security risk 365 is much more flexible in todays business environment. One will have multiple issues attempting to synch to other devices using 2010 and you will end up insane in a corner eating bugs, by the client constantly ringing you this X wont synch to Y.

Here is a walkthrough of how to go about it, if you are not comfortable with it you may need to outsource it.
@callthatgirl may be of asistance.

MIGRATE 2010 > 365 Exchange

@frase why is this 13 year old thread coming back to life lol
Because in between @DCGPX's message in 2011 and mine yesterday there was a blatant advertisement by an extremely short-lived new user which brought it all up again. The new user was expunged, their advertisement vanished, and the thread became incoherent.

But sometimes it's nice to be reminded of how gruesome it all used to be in the olden times.

@Sky-Knight so here is my projection: Next 4 years, no one will take my advice and shove those old PST's into many mailboxes and year 5, I'll be swamped with my clients panicking and by then, my rate will most likely be double what it is now.

Year 5, end of Classic Outlook, I will either stay as a Microsoft Consultant to change career paths.

@callthatgirl You're a better person than me, I've already told people I don't do PST files, I'm not going to do PST files, you will use hosted Exchange, you will set a an archive policy, you will set a date lifecycle policy, and if you want email forever you're paying $4 / month for Datto SaaS backup of your M365 / GSuite tenant and no, it won't all just be there for you to poke at.

And if any of the above isn't OK? You aren't my client... have a nice day! You'd have to fork over $500 / hr to get me to mess with a PST file!

@Sky-Knight and that's why I have a business, I get all the tasty leftovers. I'm not doing bad, this year I'll hit QM lol.

I'm guessing I'll be at $500-$600 an hour in 5 years too if I'm the last tech on earth uploading PST's to Exchange.

@Sky-Knight and that's why I have a business, I get all the tasty leftovers. I'm not doing bad, this year I'll hit QM lol.

I'm guessing I'll be at $500-$600 an hour in 5 years too if I'm the last tech on earth uploading PST's to Exchange.
You won't be able to. Classic Outlook was fingered in the same security mess that took out Classic Teams in Jan. Microsoft is having to hotfoot its retirement, and the only reason you don't see Outlook PRE forcing its way in the door yet is they're distracted by Teams. Once Teams is done, Outlook PRE will take over, We've got at most 24 months. You see 4 years, I see half that!

Back