Oh man, this poor, poor kid.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
A client contacted me because her 15 year old son attempted to upgrade his computer and he couldn't get it back together so she asked me if I would be willing to patch it up for him. Normally I wouldn't, but she's an exceptional client and one of my largest business clients.

By patching the computer up I figured he tried to install a new video card and his PSU wouldn't support it or he couldn't figure out cabling or something.

NOPE. I WAS WRONG.

I drive 35 minutes to her house and walk in an immediately see computer parts and pieces EVERYWHERE. I grab the computer and put it on the biggest table I could find. He's attempting to do a motherboard, cpu, ram transplant while using the existing case, optical, psu and HD.

I take one look at it and immediately think, "I'm going to be here for the next 3 hours". I look inside and some cables are plugged in, some are not. The CPU (8700k) is mounted but not locked. He's attempting to use an aftermarket cooler but can't get it mounted to the back plate.

I unplug everything and start unscrewing the 3 screws holding the motherboard into the 3 stand-off's hes using. I pull the motherboard out and his back plate for the aftermarket cooler is held onto the chassis with duct tape. I pull the unlocked CPU out and take a look at it and the underside is covered in thermal paste, how? No idea.

I start taking a look at how to mount the cooler onto the motherboard and BAM! there it is. A 35 minute drive and 5 minutes into looking at this scrap heap, I find out he's somehow managed to bend the socket pins in four different spots which blows my mind considering the 8700k is a ZIF cpu.

I tell him there is no chance any of this is working and head out. I call his Mom, give her the bad news, tell her to return everything he bought, if she can, and that I could spec out a computer and spend an afternoon with him teaching him how to build one if she wants me to.

Who knows, maybe she's willing to pay $1000 over cost for me to teach her son how to build a computer.

Felt so bad for the kid. All he wants to do is VR, he's not even a fortnite nerd.

Hey!

Just did something similar with my kid. We started without a totally duct-taped system. Replaced motherboard and CPU, had to reconfigure the case for the larger board. Took a good three hours

Ha! I'm sorry that was a rude comment, I know Fortnite gets a bad rap but gaming is gaming and anything that brings more kids, families, parents and kids to it is A OK in my book!

The best thing you can teach them is to realize when they are in over their head and need to seek help

I disagree. The best thing you can teach them is how to research to find the answer. Unless you are lucky enough to have a mentor, research and hand's-on experience is how you learn a trade. Why deny them this chance? Ignoring computers for a moment, in this life I've taught myself how to run plumbing, minor electrical & most other small owning-a-house-related tasks. I can rebuild a carburetor, paint a fender, and a ton of other stuff just like that. I didn't have a mentor - I researched and just did it. All before Google was a thing. Learn from the mistakes and move on.

I got a call from a guy who had just bought a 6000 dollar computer. Wouldn't work at all. The kid was really nervous about me messing inside the computer, but truth be told I was more nervous than he was.

Turns out the webshop that assembled it forgot to seat the memory sticks properly. Fired up the computer and helped him install the games he wanted.

I got a call from a guy who had just bought a 6000 dollar computer. Wouldn't work at all. The kid was really nervous about me messing inside the computer, but truth be told I was more nervous than he was.

Turns out the webshop that assembled it forgot to seat the memory sticks properly. Fired up the computer and helped him install the games he wanted.

You say webshop so I assume he bought it online and it was shipped to him. Memory has been known to unseat during shipping.

Bought it pre-assembled from Norway's largest online store. I sure hope they take great care securing CPU fans and larger graphics cards.

Memory has been known to unseat during shipping.

This right here. We do a lot of Dell workstations, and the first thing I do is open 'em up and reseat everything. Power cables, RAM, SATA cables, etc. Handling during the shipping process is getting worse and worse as (my opinion) Amazon deliveries tax every system and every shipping vendor to their limits. That, and incentivizing the drivers to have less and less time to actually make the delivery. The whole process is a disaster.

Yeah, DIMMs love to knock loose with FedEx. I power a system and it beeps at me, unplug and reseat the RAM. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've done that over the years.

Well I decided to go ahead and help my client out and build the computer with her son. It's going to be a beast of a system. We decided to do the build on a Saturday because he is in school which I charge 1.5x for so overall it should be a pretty profitable build $1000-$1500 profit for the day, and it will be a nice change of pace for me.

If they wanted to pay our after hours rate I would do it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 while driv ik gndjfhd

Sounds like the kid tried to upgrade based on the verge video.

If you haven't seen how bad it is here is a review, the original was deleted after about 2 weeks.

*Warning the video may come of as a bit racist for his comedy of it

Back