Odd network issue today

Big Jim

Reaction score
Was setting up a Synology NAS for customer today, it was powering on and showing an ethernet light but I was unable to find it, either with the synology tool or in the DHCP log, I did also try an IP scanner on both the current IP range and the default synology range.

diagnosed it as faulty, took it back to our shop and it was behaving the same, raised an RMA with the supplier.
came back to it a couple of hours later, and thought I'll just check it one last time before I power it off and box it up and it was working.

so set it up, rebooted it all seemed ok.
Took it back to the client to setup and couldn't find it at all.
rebooted the DHCP server, tried different ports on the switch, tried different IP ranges.

eventually thought I will reboot the main switch (netgear GS742T) and within 2 minutes of rebooting the switch appeared in the IP scanner and so did the NAS.
I logged into the switch and checked settings and everything was on default settings (meaning this switch has never been configured)

there were no other issues reported by staff and all other equipment was working correctly, I recently have connected and setup 3 Unifi APs directly connected to the switch in question and they were all given IPs.

I have never seen this before,

revisiting this one.
Added another device to the network today, which involved moving a couple of patch cables as they were too short.

customer rings me an hour later, my PC isn't working.

The computer he was using was one of the patch cables I moved to a different port.
I had to reboot the switch again, to get that port working.

I haven't worked with a huge amount of network switches, but I'm guessing this is the early warning signs that this is on its way out ?

Back