NVMe M.2 drives - do most mobos account for the different lengths?

britechguy

Reaction score
I really have not yet had to deal with a ton of machines, and particularly desktop machines, with NVMe M.2 drives in them. In most portable drive enclosures for this type of drive, there are multiple "end mounting points" to account for the different standard lengths. Do most (or any, or no) mobos do the same sort of thing, where provided that you have the correct key style:
M.2-SSD-Keys.jpg

for the drive, you could mount anything from a 2230 to 2280 length, with standoffs available at each of those lengths?

SSD-Size-Comparison.jpg

The reason I ask is that the gaming machine I was recently working on had "a short" NVMe M.2 M-keyed drive, which I failed to record the length for. Working from memory I thought it was probably a 2242, but now that I have a 2242 in hand, I suspect it may have been a 2260. If motherboards commonly have standoffs for differing lengths, then having a shorter one won't matter, but if they don't, it will, so I'm asking.

2260 and 2280 are very common, the 2242 is less so, and the 2230 least of all.

If you get a white box mainboard, they usually have stops for every size. But Dell and whatnot are annoying in that some systems will only have a specific size.

I don't recall encountering any laptop MB that accommodates multiple lengths

This is consistent with my experience, too.

In this case I'm definitely dealing with that Asus RoG desktop unit, and I figured that if any mobos did this, it would be ones for desktops (large form factor of any ilk).

And now that I have a 2242, I'm pretty sure the original is a 2260. But this is all from memory. Lesson learned about not relying on memory, but so much was weird about this particular job that I didn't even know what, exactly, I was going to need to keep track of.

What I had expected to be a straighforward N&P, if that, turned into anything but. And I still don't know if it will become that with a replacement SSD, but I hope so.

Most decent desktop motherboards have multiple stand-off screw holes. Sometimes the board has one "soldered screw peg" and includes another screw peg in a bag, to use for a different size SSD. Most boards will even have the length silk screened on the board.

Some cheap boards - or "OEM/cyberpowerpc/Skytech" will often omit the extra screw inserts to save on costs.

This Board has 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110 (ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI).
The "post"(below the 'TPU' chip) that is installed at the 22110 hole can be unscrewed and moved to whichever size.

1701553331339.jpeg

Another board with the holes:
1701553610418.jpeg

This cheaper B550M DS3H AC uses a removable "plastic pop rivet" to change between two sizes;
1701553893946.jpeg
1701553919553.jpeg

Example of a premium "flip clip" post included with some boards:
1701553837856.png

If you have a 3D printer handy, you can print a little adapter to fit a standard 2280 slot - available on thingiverse:

Otherwise you can get some on Etsy:
1701556063506.png

Lenovo, HP, etc, often have these metal brackets , which you can find on ebay:
1701554701044.png

Last edited:
And now that I have a 2242, I'm pretty sure the original is a 2260. But this is all from memory. Lesson learned about not relying on memory, but so much was weird about this particular job that I didn't even know what, exactly, I was going to need to keep track of.

What I had expected to be a straighforward N&P, if that, turned into anything but. And I still don't know if it will become that with a replacement SSD, but I hope so.

If it's too short, you can always extend it! https://www.amazon.com/Length-Extension-Adapter-Brackets-Converter/dp/B09C4RDFJH

*Edit* Should have scrolled more, I see I was beat to this suggestion!

Oh and if it isn’t obvious the numbers 2280, 2242, etc are just the dimensions of the card. 22mm x 80mm for 2280. Not counting the area for the interface slot.

I'll report back on my findings on the mobo in the Asus RoG machine after I get to it sometime this week. I am currently hoping either that my memory was better than I thought, and I do have the correct length or, if that's not the case, that the standoff can just be quickly screwed out of its current position and moved where it needs to be.

There should be no need for either thread locker of the "can't be removed" type nor for torque applied to make it impossible to unscrew.

I do know that this board does not feature the "deluxe flip clip" as I had to remove the standoff screw in order to remove and reseat the SSD that is in there just in case that had been the problem.

I don't recall encountering any laptop MB that accommodates multiple lengths
Well that depends on what you consider "accommodating." Many Dell laptops use 2230 and 2242 SSD's but the screw hole in the chassis is only for 2280 so they use an adapter.

Most desktop motherboards support 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, and even 22110 SSDs. You just have to move the standoff that the SSD screws into to another position. Many motherboards have multiple M.2 slots but the second and third slot and so on only support up to 2280 or 2260. It's rare to find a motherboard that supports multiple 22110 SSDs outside of the pro boards like for Xeon and Threadripper processors. That's because 22110 is widely used in the Enterprise market and not so much in the consumer market. You'll also find U.2 and U.3 ports on these pro boards.

I'm a little late jumping on this but yes most motherboard will accommodate all sizes. I've even seen laptop motherboards now accommodating all sizes. I generally use 2280 as they're easier to find.

Some are smaller in size though the m.2 cards fit the same. There are smaller m.2 cards used in some laptops, though these are mSATA.

793d32bfe7674ebc995893a8af3661f8.jpg

2260 and 2280 are very common, the 2242 is less so, and the 2230 least of all.

Just had a Dell 8940 land in my lap today that is the only machine I've yet encountered that has a 2230 in it. And even more odd is that it doesn't have multiple screw-in locations for alternate sizes on the mobo, only 2 stops, one for 2230, the other for 2280. And since I need to upgrade the SSD it will be an 2280.

It's also the first time that I saw a 2230 in close proximity to a WiFi card. Had it not been for the antenna wires I would not have easily been able to tell one from the other.

I deploy a lot of the Lenovo Tiny's and they have the 2230

When it comes to refurbished for home clients I been installing the Dell Optiplex 3060 which have the 2280 it seems.

Back