Toshiba m.2 2280 enclosure

carmen617

Reaction score
I have a client's dead system with a Toshiba M2 2280 drive, specifically this model https://www.storagereview.com/review/toshiba-xg5-nvme-ssd-review

Model number on drive is kxg50znv512g

Client wants me to retrieve data on the drive. Earlier this year I purchased this m2 driver holder just for situations like this: https://www.newegg.com/en-labs-m2ngff25satabr/p/35G-008B-00009?Item=9SIACJF8369237

Drive doesn't fit into the slots - it's just a tiny bit off. This is not my area of expertise - I thought a 2280 m.2 was a 2280 m.2. So - I need to get data off drive, not an expert on this stuff, thinking I should actually just buy her an enclosure so I can give her the drive back out of the system to access data anywhere. Looking at this list on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=m2+2280+enclosure&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 - anybody know which one I should get?

Thanks for the answer. Just for clarification, here' s a picture of the drive and the adapter I have. It looks like it should fit, but it's just a tiny bit out of whack. I've used the adapter before on a different m.2 drive. Do you think the one you linked will be different?

drive 1.jpgdrive 2.jpgdrive 2.jpgdrive 1.jpg

I have. It looks like it should fit, but it's just a tiny bit out of whack. I've used the adapter before on a different m.2 drive. Do you think the one you linked will be different?
NVME drives are different and will not fit the other adapter. Other drives will not fit an NVME adapter in turn.
The one I linked will work.
Be warned, If you can not see the drive or the data... STOP and seek professional assistance. There is a good chance the data is gone so warn the client before you begin.

Yeah, I'd not have a problem with this route if the machine just keeled over all of a sudden. But I'd still make sure I had "the discussion" of how important their data is, do they have verified backups, etc.

Well, I sure hope you can get the correct NVMe adapter and read it. Based on what I just read about this model of SSD, the odds of it being recoverable by a pro if it has failed are pretty low...though, I wouldn't give up the chance to try.

- Self Encrypted
- Toshiba custom controller (TC58NCP090GSD) unsupported by PC3000 Portable III

Well, I sure hope you can get the correct NVMe adapter and read it. Based on what I just read about this model of SSD, the odds of it being recoverable by a pro if it has failed are pretty low...though, I wouldn't give up the chance to try.

- Self Encrypted
- Toshiba custom controller (TC58NCP090GSD) unsupported by PC3000 Portable III

Thanks all - got the adapter, appears to work fine, recognize the drive, etc. Only problem is it appears to be Bitlocker encrypted. Will call client tomorrow, but who wants to bet she had no idea, and there's no way to find the key?

Pffft! How'd I miss this thread? I just posted in an old NVMe adapter thread looking for solutions.

I'm not understanding the function of the two SATA ports out the end?

Last edited:
Thanks all - got the adapter, appears to work fine, recognize the drive, etc. Only problem is it appears to be Bitlocker encrypted. Will call client tomorrow, but who wants to bet she had no idea, and there's no way to find the key?
See if she has a M$ account. In some scenarios if they setup the computer with a M$ account it's automatically start BL with little to no fan fare.

Pffft! How'd I miss this thread? I just posted in an old NVMe adapter thread looking for solutions.

I'm not understanding the function of the two SATA ports out the end?
If your talking about the OP it looks to be a USB>SATA Connector.
If myself they are to go from card to SATA ports on Mobo.

See if she has a M$ account. In some scenarios if they setup the computer with a M$ account it's automatically start BL with little to no fan fare.
That's what I'm thinking too, and that's what I will call and ask her about tomorrow. She won't know it's a MS account, but she will know she had a password to get onto the system (hopefully will know that, not just the PIN) and MIGHT know the email address she used. I'm hopeful . . .

I've recently got one of these:
USB enclosure works with M.2 of both NVMe and SATA types. Distributed in Aus by Leader Systems.

I even got an extra one in stock and sold it within a week, to a customer with a dead laptop containing a 512GB M.2. With this product, I don't care which type of M.2 it is.

Back