Votes: 90 18.0%
  • 51 - 60

Votes: 64 12.8%
  • 61 +

Votes: 27 5.4%
  • 70+

Votes: 4 0.8%

• Total voters
What a great machine that was! We'd spend hours playing Parsec, Alpiner, and Hunt the Wumpus :D It even had a cassette recorder (using audio cassette tapes) to save data and BASIC programs to. Those were the days....

Oh, BTW, 43 here.

I forgot about Hunt the Wumpus! It was also a great day when Dad bought the expansion box and we could have an actual floppy disk drive to store things on, plus the extra memory (was it 32K of extra RAM?). Of course that expansion box was about the size of tower today. :eek:

52 here!

Started with IBM AT or XT forget which one was 1st. (That shows aging).

Does anyone remember "le Menu"?

A very crude GUI....but interesting!

Remember $50.00/MB of ram...yes per MB ram?

640k ram....upgrade 1 MB....why on earth would you ever need more!

61 here, and you've got me walking down "nostalgia lane".

Started in mainframes in the late '60s. Remember the 1620, 1401, 360 & 370? (I remember when our 360/25, which had only 128K of RAM, lost 24K due to a short-circuit and it cost $20,000 to replace it!:eek:)

My first personal computer was an Apple II in 1978 -- and I was a "bigwig" in the Apple club as I had a hard drive! :) (we all looked down our noses at the TRS-80's and the Sinclairs:rolleyes:)

My first IBM-compatible PC was the IBM PC/AT in early 1985 ($5000 retail cost!). A year later I remember paying $300 for a 300MB hard drive (yes, as in megabytes!)

Oh how times have changed!

Last edited:
Started with IBM AT or XT forget which one was 1st. (That shows aging).

The IBM XT was introduced in March 1983 and had a 8088 processor. The AT came out in August 1984 and had a "much faster" 80286!

The XT was notable in that if you wanted add'l memory or a 2nd HD, it was located in a second full-sized case which was connected via a cable to the primary case!

The IBM XT was introduced in March 1983 and had a 8088 processor. The AT came out in August 1984 and had a "much faster" 80286!

The XT was notable in that if you wanted add'l memory or a 2nd HD, it was located in a second full-sized case which was connected via a cable to the primary case!

Oh my how things have changed......

I must have had the XT 1st, then it went to accounting for Lotus 123 I believe. I think the ram upgrade must have been in the AT, as I don't remember using a 2nd case.

Please don't quote me on anything........That was a looooong time ago.

Thank for the walk down memory lane.

Has anybody ever used or heard of le Menu?

I can't seem to find anyone who has even heard of it.

For those wanting to stroll down memory lane try:
http://books.google.com/books?id=5D...AEwAA#v=onepage&q=le menu dos program&f=false

32 here.

It's interesting that there's almost an exact number of folks in each of the 3 brackets 21-50. I would have guessed there was a higher distribution toward the later brackets, personally.

I remember when I was netwizz's age (long time ago), and I was dreading my upcoming 30th. Then fast forward another 10 years, and my 40th was a case of, ok, right lets get on with it :D

I just turned 39 in February. I started out learning to program in Basic on a Tandy Color Computer III my parents bought on sale (my Christmas present) at Radio Shack. Although it was capable of using a monitor and an external 5 1/4" floppy drive, I had neither. I can't remember the games I had for it but they were on cartridges you plugged into the right side of it. I eventually bought a cassette recorder from Radio Shack to be able to store my programs to, because at the time a floppy drive was just too expensive for me.

I'm a whole 23 lol i first started on win 98 on some mesh computer, i can't remember the specs :confused: i was amazed when windows xp first hit the scene lol now look where we are :p

Back