[REQUEST] Macbook pro 2012 A1398 data recovery

ell

Reaction score
Hi, just got in one of these that only boots to black screen. Chimes, fans, that's it. Tried connecting to external monitor via hdmi/vga adapter, reset SMC, PRAM, safe mode, nothing but black. Opened it up and unplugged the battery, reseated the ssd, still no go. He only wants the data, any ideas how to get at it? I assume target disk mode won't work either. Would something like this work to get at it? shorturl.at/quDT9 Ideas?

Last edited:
Those ssd's can fail fast and hard. If the client's data is of any value, send to a pro.
Yes, I already mentioned it, he of course doesn't think its worth that much, I'd like to come away with something if there's anything I can do. Every macbook I've had in with a ssd, even when bootable the data appears difficult to recover.

Hi, just got in one of these that only boots to black screen. Chimes, fans, that's it. Tried connecting to external monitor via hdmi/vga adapter, reset SMC, PRAM, safe mode, nothing but black. Opened it up and unplugged the battery, reseated the ssd, still no go. He only wants the data, any ideas how to get at it? I assume target disk mode won't work either. Would something like this work to get at it? shorturl.at/quDT9 Ideas?
Link doesn't work for me.

Link doesn't work for me.
It's a sata adapter for the card. I don't have time to order one anyway. I want to try Target mode if it will work with USB 3.0 A cables, I just have to find one. This thing only has thunderbolt 2.0 ports, can't find a cable anywhere locally

Catch is you'll be buying something you might only use once. There are caddy's available for all of Apple's various SSD's. But thought the 2012 just used a standard SSD drive.

Catch is you'll be buying something you might only use once. There are caddy's available for all of Apple's various SSD's. But thought the 2012 just used a standard SSD drive.
Yeah I'm not going to bother now, I've run into this same model before, special ssd only used that year (model) plus I've found data recovery not good odds. I'll try Target mode last effort then pass it off.Yes they did have regular sata drives too

Yeah I'm not going to bother now, I've run into this same model before, special ssd only used that year (model) plus I've found data recovery not good odds. I'll try Target mode last effort then pass it off. /QUOTE]
yeah I'm already partnered with a company, I get 10%, but my client won't pay anyways, seems seldom in my market anybody wants to pay more than $100 for their data.(mostly residential)

but my client won't pay anyways, seems seldom in my market anybody wants to pay more than $100 for their data. (mostly residential)
Same here. It is tough for a residential user to justify even $300-400 to recover data. They just do without and kick themselves for not backing up.

Reactions: ell
on a side note, I can say with about 90% certainty, that laptop can be fixed by touching up the u8900 chip with a little leaded solder. It is a super common failure and what you describing fits it perfectly. That laptop is sill nice and worth decent money fixed.

this one will work for you
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOYPRO/

invest in one of these, it can be used for all the macbooks, including airs from 2013 to 2015, it will not work for the one you have, but it will work on so many other macs. One job will pay for it
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/

on a side note, I can say with about 90% certainty, that laptop can be fixed by touching up the u8900 chip with a little leaded solder. It is a super common failure and what you describing fits it perfectly. That laptop is sill nice and worth decent money fixed.

invest in one of these, it can be used for all the macbooks, including airs from 2013 to 2015, it will not work for the one you have, but it will work on so many other macs. One job will pay for it

Oh too funny, I was just looking at that about an hour ago. I'm trying to decide if I should get one, I can almost count on one hand how many macs I've worked on, but I got two calls for work on them today, I'm going to definitely consider it, thanks

Do you think I could put this in my bench pc and it would work too? (not for the 2012 ofcourse) shorturl.at/IQ067

Do you think I could put this in my bench pc and it would work too? (not for the 2012 ofcourse) shorturl.at/IQ067
it may but you would need software to read the file system. If you used that drive, a windows computer, and a program like rstudio, or other less expensive ones, it would probably work so long as the drive is not encrypted. You need to invest in an inexpensive Mac to use to do these recoveries as they will allow you to enter the user password to decrypt the drive. That is why we use the usb model above along with a macmini to work on all or our mac computers

You should invest $200 in a macmini, $100 in the drive enclosure and you would be sitting well. You mentioned having trouble in the past with data recoveries, it was because you did not have any of the right tools to do it :) You could break even in two jobs!

it may but you would need software to read the file system. If you used that drive, a windows computer, and a program like rstudio, or other less expensive ones, it would probably work so long as the drive is not encrypted. You need to invest in an inexpensive Mac to use to do these recoveries as they will allow you to enter the user password to decrypt the drive. That is why we use the usb model above along with a macmini to work on all or our mac computers

yes I agree, I've been looking. tight budget these days unfortunately.

You should invest $200 in a macmini, $100 in the drive enclosure and you would be sitting well. You mentioned having trouble in the past with data recoveries, it was because you did not have any of the right tools to do it :) You could break even in two jobs!

good idea, craigslist here I come ;)

Back