Macbook pro 2012 recovery mode goes to end of bar ends up on white screen

Galdorf

Reaction score
things i tried.
reset SMC
reset NVRAM-PRAM
apple hardware test nothing found says everything is working.
tried swapping ssd in with another known working but switched ram to set of known working anyways.
when i start internet recovery goes to end of bar when it gets to end shows white blank white screen and that is it caplocks does not light up when pressed.
Any ideas also disconnected battery in case of battery issue and sata to usb adaptor to rule out bad hdd cable.

Last edited:
Do you know what it was running before it was brought in? I'd try a USB based one but start with El Capitan (10.11) or Sierra (10.12) Support for Catalina (10.15), the latest version it will support, ended 7/2022.

tried sierra from usb loads to login screen enter password loads for a while then stops on blank white screen also tried safe mode same thing.

tried sierra from usb loads to login screen enter password loads for a while then stops on blank white screen also tried safe mode same thing.
That's not the procedure I'm used to seeing. If you boot from an installer USB stick you should never see a login page, just the installer process. Sounds like you have a USB stick with the OS installed as a live boot which can't be used to install. That being said if the symptoms remain booting from a USB with live OS then it sounds like the machine is toast. I'd pull the drive, reset NVRAM, leave battery unplugged and then try booting Sierra again.

Tried sierra install usb the apple logo shows up status bar get to end white blank screen caplocks don`t light up so frozen think it might be a mainboard issue with cpu-gpu solder joints needs to be re-balled don`t have proper gear for that.
Does same for internet recovery and recovery mode freezes before it shows the menu to blank white screen tried to clear nvram many times it restarts same white screen issues.

Last edited:
I would first try booting from a live USB that is not a Mac OS X.

You can download Q4OS live, with the KDE Plasma desktop.
This distro supports being "burnt" to an USB flash drive with an GPT UEFI partitioning scheme, which will make it compatible with newer Macs.
To prepare the flash drive, you can get inspiration from this video.

This will help you to know if you face a software or hardware issue.

If you're trying to make a 2012 Mac work I'd suggest looking into Open Core Legacy Patcher. It lets you run current macOS versions on unsupported hardware like a 2012 model. I've only tried it once on a 2010 iMac and it seemed to work well, and I'm going to try it on a few more I have lying around.

Back