LiteManager remote access/support software

I have to admit I'd be tempted to look into LiteManager (and another similar package that has been mentioned here recently but I can't remember which), but with all the attention on what seem to be FSB-connected groups involved in hacking the thought of installing remote control software straight out of Moscow gives me the heebie-jeebies. That's not particularly against Russia - I'd probably have the same concerns about any package developed by a company based in Langley, Virginia (CIA HQ) - but I just can't see using closed-source software from a relatively-unknown source in a city that's home to an espionage agency and I'm not sure that there's any kind of locking down I could do that would make me comfortable with it.

Reactions: GTP
involved in hacking the thought of installing remote control software straight out of Moscow gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Yes, me too! Nothing against Denis or LiteManager or Russia for that matter - and no offence intended!:D
I'd probably have the same concerns about any package developed by a company based in Langley, Virginia (CIA HQ)
...or Canberra...

@Denis Yakhnovets I'm sure you don't and I almost didn't mention it, but I felt that if it wasn't something you'd considered it's something to keep in mind. I deal with healthcare clients, and yes I am a little paranoid, but I'd expect exactly the same kind of concerns from a Russian IT person considering a remote support package developed anywhere within the Washington DC area.

It may be worth making sure your documentation includes coverage of:
  • How to set up for direct-to-IT Vendor connections only (I believe you call this Quick Start, which is probably a bad name due to language issues)
  • What ports are required for inbound/outbound connections and where they need to be able to connect to - for example, can I firewall things so that at the Windows level the application is ONLY allowed to communicate on specific ports and only to specific destinations (like my office)?
  • What connections will be made in typical use (including any connections out to servers controlled by you, why, and what happens if they're blocked?) I say that because for pretty much all of my customers there's no business reason why they should need to connect to servers in China, Africa, Russia, etc. and I've been thinking about adding firewalling that would simply block all connections in or out to the relevant IP ranges.
That kind of documentation (and lockdown) may never actually be used by any of your customers, but having it documented could go a long way to addressing concerns such as those I mentioned.

Regarding "Quick Start" as your direct-to-IP connection, I recommend changing that name. In typical English documentation usage, "Quick Start" is the "How to use this in 5 easy steps" documentation that many or most techs will simply never read.

@fencepost

Thank you for advice.

How to set up for direct-to-IT Vendor connections only (I believe you call this Quick Start, which is probably a bad name due to language issues)
ok, we will add new page with advanced information about LiteManager.
please tell me, how better name it?
and what information necessary to write there?

What ports are required for inbound/outbound connections and where they need to be able to connect to - for example, can I firewall things so that at the Windows level the application is ONLY allowed to communicate on specific ports and only to specific destinations (like my office)?
For direct IP connection used 5650 port, for Connection by ID (outbound connect) used 5651 port. By default,
but it could be changed

What connections will be made in typical use (including any connections out to servers controlled by you, why, and what happens if they're blocked?) I say that because for pretty much all of my customers there's no business reason why they should need to connect to servers in China, Africa, Russia, etc. and I've been thinking about adding firewalling that would simply block all connections in or out to the relevant IP ranges.
By default for connection by ID, LiteManager connect to our main server in Russian. (this is not the best option if You are on another continent)
In this case I advice all is setup your own ID router NOIP.
If it blocked, ID connection will not work.

We have add new page on our site Guidelines for Technicians (on main page, right column)
http://www.litemanager.com/support/guidelines_for_technicians/

if need something to add or to fix in it, please inform me
Sorry for my English,

Thank You so much!

Hi Guys!
I received messages when somebody follow me too, but I don't worry about it.
I have Facebook and twitter, it is normally. Sorry for inconvenience

I received messages when somebody follow me too, but I don't worry about it.
I have Facebook and twitter, it is normally. Sorry for inconvenience

I'm not particularly worried, but unless you have an awful lot of time on your hands it looks as if you're using some kind of automated process to rummage through the list of users. I don't think that's prohibited by the rules here (@Kraken or @Bryce W would know), but it's the kind of behaviour I'd normally associate with a scummy data-trawling service like TwitFace and not a friendly social group like Technibble.

It only takes one person sitting in the corner taking notes to ruin a good party.

Last edited:
I saw that message as well and categorized it for what it is. Shadowy behavior from a new member.

Data harvesting.

New version 4.9 still free for up 30 PC.

— Domain import with hierarchy OU.
— Screen recorder settings on Server's side.
— Active connection window with Screens of remote monitors.
— Encryption for LM Viewer's config files (config_3.xml, connections_3.4.xml)

NOIP
— Logs manager.
— Several ports for NOIP with connection type. (Viewer or Server connection)
— Version limitation for clients.
— Optimization for RSA/AES encryption, and also fully LM encryption.
— Personal accounts on NOIP. Access rights, logs, licensing and address book management.
Personal accounts on NOIP (instruction)

— NOIP for x64 platform.
— Auto adding LM Servers from NOIP.
— Audio-video chat is improved to the conference mode.

head_4.9_new.jpg

For some reason LiteManager is specifically called out in the Linux Foundation confidentiality agreement https://docs.linuxfoundation.org/tc-docs/certification/lf-cert-agreement

weird
For context to others, its for the "Linux Foundation Global Certification and Confidentiality Agreement".
Under the "Exam Misconduct Policy" it says you should not engage in such misconduct like:

"Accepting or providing improper assistance on your Exam or Exams taken by others (e.g. by using Remote Access Software such as LiteManager)"

Just using an example of remote support software it seems. Dont cheat on your Linux Cert by using remote access software (such as Litemanager).

Last edited:
For context to others, its for the "Linux Foundation Global Certification and Confidentiality Agreement".
Under the "Exam Misconduct Policy" it says you should not engage in such misconduct like:

"Accepting or providing improper assistance on your Exam or Exams taken by others (e.g. by using Remote Access Software such as LiteManager)"

Just using an example of remote support software it seems. Dont cheat on your Linux Cert by using remote access software (such as Litemanager).
idk if they're just trying to avoid getting pushback if using one of the big brand names as the example, but it just seems like an odd choice for an example to me

Back