Jumbo Frames

HCHTech

Reaction score
I'm struggling trying to get Jumbo Frames working to get the best possible backup speed between a server and a Synology NAS.

It's a HyperV host with 2 server VMs: DC and an App server. The Host has 2 Intel 10GbE NICs aggregated, which are connected via fiber to two of the switch ports. The main switch in an 48-port HPE 1950 with 4 10GbE SFP+ ports. The Synology has the OEM 10GbE NIC upgrade (which is RJ45) and I have that connected with a CAT6 cable to an RJ45 SFP+ module in one of the switch ports.

BTW, all of this works absolutely fine without Jumbo Frames enabled.

So I made sure Jumbo Frames is enabled on the 4 switch ports, with a 9126 packet size (which was the maximum choice). I've enabled Jumbo Frames on the 2 NICs in the server and on the virtual switch with a 9000 packet size (the maximum choice). I've also enabled Jumbo Frames on the two VMs NICs with a 9000 packet size. Finally, I've enabled Jumbo Frames on the Synology's NIC with a 9000 packet size.

I can ping from either server to the other server using "ping x.x.x.x -f -l 8972" without fragmentation (so I think that proves the servers NICs and the Switch are compatible with each other). I can ping the Synology normally, but when I try to force a larger packet size than 1472, I get "Request timed out" responses.

So, I get that the NICs on either end and the switch all have to support Jumbo Frames for it to work, but that certainly appears to be the case. I've tried lowering the frame size to 8000, 7000, even 5000, but that doesn't change the result.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot further. Does this mean the Synology's 10GbE NIC isn't compatible with my switch? Isn't compatible with my server's NICs? How can I identify the problem device, or perhaps better, how do I make it work?

Direct? - do you mean setup a separate NIC just for that and use a crossover cable? I haven't done that with anything in 25 years - -
No crossover cable needed. Everything, NICwise, has been autosensing for years. That's why we don't see xovers anymore. For me it would be another data point. aka follow the problem. I'd also, assuming you can get to cli on the switches, try pinging the Synology from there.

I've abandoned this effort for now - this was just part of my troubleshooting a Synology setup discussed in my other thread here. I caused more problems than this would have solved trying to do Jumbo Frames network-wide. If I try this again, I'll do a separate VLAN, but for now - I don't think Frame size is my problem.

Back