Is there anywhere to get parts other than direct from Apple?

ootuoyetahi

Reaction score
I have a client who has an iMac G4 (intel based) Apple computer. It (like so many others) has a bad DVD drive (superdrive). I find dealing direct with Apple is a little bit of a pain in the neck and am looking for an alternative. Does anyone out there know of a better way of getting Apple hardware other than going to one of their stores?

Feedback would be great.

Thanks

lol, im in NJ. I dont typically work on Macs either. For parts alone (new keyboard and superdrive (cd/dvd burner) it is going to cost $225.00 (before the markup). It is insane how expensive these parts are. If Mac wants to stay in the game they need to price their systems more reasonably. If not they are going to price themselves out of business.

Apple is here to stay.

If Mac wants to stay in the game they need to price their systems more reasonably. If not they are going to price themselves out of business.
They're had insane pricing for the last 25 years. I don't think they're going anywhere. Their market share is still increasing instead of decreasing. Just last night I had a client tell me that they got his mother an Apple to replace her PC that got fried by a power surge.

And...I would still pay to have my MacBook Pro fixed if anything happened to it. I paid too much for it not to get it fixed.

Does anybody else remember the 2 times they allowed Mac clones?

Does anybody else remember the 2 times they allowed Mac clones?

I had a UMAX C500, which was a mac clone. I really liked it as a machine to help clients with their tcp-ip settings or email configs (we used to sell dial-up years ago). It ran OS 8.x and was pretty good at the time. Much cheaper than a real mac.

Anyone worked on a dell xps one, one of those models trying to mimic macs.

My experience with mac just this week, I am working on a mac powerbook 17", the lcd went out. The first lcd I ordered was wrong, so I went to open the laptop up to get the part number from the lcd itself. Come to find out its almost impossible to take the lcd bezel apart without breaking all the plastic clips and having to reorder the lcd plastics to. Every mac call I get including stupid stuff like hdd and optical drives turn out to be a big pain in the butt. Avoid at all costs unless you find good service manuals and a great part supplier.

That is absolutely no joke! Simply replacing a DVD Drive or a hard Drive is a serious pain in the neck. I absolutely will not work on iMacs.

Hi Tim,

We just replaced a hard drive in a G4 laptop and it took around 88 screws to get to the HD. That is just crazy! For all the work does Apple does in keeping stuff simple they sure failed in the HD replacement category.

But that is all a thing of the past. The brand new laptops (the aluminum ones) now only require a couple of screws to get to the HD. I would imagine that all machines they make from here on out will be that way.

I like a place called PowerBookMedic for Mac parts. Have had good luck with them, they ship promptly and their prices were always at or near the lowest.

hxxp://www.powerbookmedic.com

Back