HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1134 power supply testing

ell

Reaction score
Hi, got this in dead as a door nail, I proceeded to test everything, but got hung up with testing the ps, it only has two 4 pin connectors to the mobo. My pile of ps only have one 4 pin and with the additional 24 pin type. Could I test by pluging in two ps side-by-side and use the two 4pins off of them?

From https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...es-are-compatible-with-Envy-TE01/td-p/8125034

It's all about voltages and getting them correct. I'd go to partsurfer.hp.com with the serial number. Get the PS part number and see if you can get any more information. Colors may not be consistent across OEM's when it comes to voltages.

View attachment 16069
Hmm says it's proprietary, probably can't test with my 24 pin ps, not going to buy one just to test, I'm pretty sure it's a dead mobo anyways, thanks for the info!

If the supply has a green or Purple wire - you can usually ground that to get the supply to turn on. Then you can test with a multimeter.

Thanks, so tried both the green and the purple, no sign of life, see pics, did i do it right?

Attachments

• 20240327_163828.jpg
    20240327_163828.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240327_163838.jpg
    20240327_163838.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, so tried both the green and the purple, no sign of life, see pics, did i do it right?
It needs to be grounded to the power supply which is unplugged. So use your DMM to measure between purple and black or green and black. Should be low, like 3vdc or so, is what I remember from Mac's. You can use a bent paperclip to short trickle and use the DMM to check the other voltages.

Like Mark said, you'll want to ground the color wire (presumably purple) to the black wire on the one connector - and not on the case.. as it won't be grounded to the Power supply while unhooked. Paper clip!

Like Mark said, you'll want to ground the color wire (presumably purple) to the black wire on the one connector - and not on the case.. as it won't be grounded to the Power supply while unhooked. Paper clip!
ok, I did the paperclip trick, still no sign of life. I just called my customer said it could be the ps but I'm not ruling out the mobo, I backed up her data, and told her to think on what she wants to do. She sounds like she just wants to buy another tower. Is this 2x4 pin connectors ps pretty common now? Thanks guys

ok, I did the paperclip trick, still no sign of life. I just called my customer said it could be the ps but I'm not ruling out the mobo, I backed up her data, and told her to think on what she wants to do. She sounds like she just wants to buy another tower. Is this 2x4 pin connectors ps pretty common now? Thanks guys
No, not really all that common.. it generally only applies to the low-power CPU's, no GPU, "crap-boxes" of HP and Dell.

You can often find the correct Dell/HP-to-ATX adapters on Amazon and such so you can power the PC with a standard supply (and diagnose a board for example), but I'm not seeing yours at the moment.

(General Search)

1711578787670.png

No, not really all that common.. it generally only applies to the low-power CPU's, no GPU, "crap-boxes" of HP and Dell.

You can often find the correct Dell/HP-to-ATX adapters on Amazon and such so you can power the PC with a standard supply (and diagnose a board for example), but I'm not seeing yours at the moment.

(General Search)

View attachment 16073
Ahh, sure, I'm going shopping for one, thanks!

Is this 2x4 pin connectors ps pretty common now?
Not at all. It's a HP proprietary power connection and sounds similar to SFF business desktops. At least those business desktops usually have parts readily available (from ebay if necessary).

(General Search)

View attachment 16073
Would you recommend I get one of these 24pto6p? Are they much more common?, I don't want to get stuck again like this.

Would you recommend I get one of these 24pto6p? Are they much more common?, I don't want to get stuck again like this.
For as cheap as it is - it's an easy thing to have on hand.
I'd say the 24pto6p is just as "common" or uncommon as the one you have there at the moment. There's more of these adapter things, too.. and it's not necessarily standardized... so sometime the wires are physically in a different hole and the connectors (even though it may be a 6p connector - will be keyed differently so they don't physically fit together due to the wiring difference and round vs. square pegging.

Personally, I don't buy these adapters until I come across a need to do so - then I'll get it and have it on hand. But, like I said, they are cheap enough to stock up on if you decide to.

Reactions: ell
For as cheap as it is - it's an easy thing to have on hand.
I'd say the 24pto6p is just as "common" or uncommon as the one you have there at the moment. There's more of these adapter things, too.. and it's not necessarily standardized... so sometime the wires are physically in a different hole and the connectors (even though it may be a 6p connector - will be keyed differently so they don't physically fit together due to the wiring difference and round vs. square pegging.

Personally, I don't buy these adapters until I come across a need to do so - then I'll get it and have it on hand. But, like I said, they are cheap enough to stock up on if you decide to.
I guess I'll pick one up on amazon, I have to order everything and have limited space so I try to keep only common tools on hand, thanks!

Back