Envy laptop not charging not powering on

rustynails87

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an HP envy laptop that I'm having an issue with. My client has two of the exact same laptops - one of the power supplies died and they had a spare one laying around so they decided to use that one. This power supply was underpowered and when plugging it in it would not charge the battery. If the battery died it wouldn't power on so they were occasionally swapping batteries back and fourth with the other laptop that was charging and working fine. They asked me to look at the laptop. First of all the laptop had a bad jack and I replaced it. After replacing it the underpowered power supply would no longer be detedted by the laptop (the light did come on however). I figured I'd leave it plugged in for a while to see what happens. Now the battery is dead and the laptop wont turn on at all (no battery indication light either). I have another universal power supply here (the one with the interchangeable tips) and tried using that but still no charge indication light or anything... I tried swapping back the other power jack and nothing... I'm at a standstill. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? Motherboard? Battery is fine and power supply is fine as well (tested on other machines).

Thanks

Hello all,

I have an HP envy laptop that I'm having an issue with. My client has two of the exact same laptops - one of the power supplies died and they had a spare one laying around so they decided to use that one. This power supply was underpowered and when plugging it in it would not charge the battery. If the battery died it wouldn't power on so they were occasionally swapping batteries back and fourth with the other laptop that was charging and working fine. They asked me to look at the laptop. First of all the laptop had a bad jack and I replaced it. After replacing it the underpowered power supply would no longer be detedted by the laptop (the light did come on however). I figured I'd leave it plugged in for a while to see what happens. Now the battery is dead and the laptop wont turn on at all (no battery indication light either). I have another universal power supply here (the one with the interchangeable tips) and tried using that but still no charge indication light or anything... I tried swapping back the other power jack and nothing... I'm at a standstill. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? Motherboard? Battery is fine and power supply is fine as well (tested on other machines).

Thanks
If you've tested the battery and charger like you've stated then I'd be looking at the MB. Have you tested voltage through the power jack?

The first thing you need to do is size the right charger for the device if it's drawing 90 Watts and your using a 60 watt your not providing enough power.

Once you have the right size charger see if it powers up.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Something happened to the machine with the loose jack when you swapped it out. I'd guess it will power up with a charged battery. Might help if you posted the proper HP model number. Hopefully it's a model that has a separate board for the jack.

If you plug in the correct charger and you get no lights on it (power light / charge light) then it very well could be a motherboard issue. Normally if the motherboard detects an issue via the startup chip then it will kill all power to the laptop via mosfets on the board.

I would double check your dc jack install. Did you solder it on board or is it on a cable?

I replaced the power jack but no difference. I checked the wattage on the power supply and the original was 120W the one i have here is 90W. The original power brick is in use by someone and I will test with that one when I bring it back. Right now it is looking like a motherboard issue. Right now the laptop's battery is fully drained and I cannot power it on.

Boom Boom, Out go the lights...

Reviewing: Charger plugged in, No lights nothing. When power button is pressed no fan spin no lights right?

Pretty sure its the board.

Can you post the Model / Type and if you have it apart, The model of the board?

Back