How to get ISOs for iODD

I like to make a USB installer from the app store download. It is basically one command to create:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

The above command creates a USB installer (on a USB formatted with label "Untitled").

Complete instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/309...-a-bootable-macos-sierra-installer-drive.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they are a bit of a pain. Apple always seems to change things, so a new process needs to be used with almost every release. But since I only have to do it once I don't worry about it. A tested copy always resides on my software repo.

Not really. The ones I've got have been made by converting the app store download (DMG file) to ISO. Its a pain using the CLI, so be grateful you have the script lol. It's just once per OS though, so it's not bad.

I like to make a USB installer from the app store download. It is basically one command to create:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

The above command creates a USB installer (on a USB formatted with label "Untitled").

Complete instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/309...-a-bootable-macos-sierra-installer-drive.html

Same...However if you don't already have a macOS device IDK how you go about creating macOS install media

Same...However if you don't already have a macOS device IDK how you go about creating macOS install media

If you are attempting to install OSX to a non-functioning mac that was formatted or had the hdd replaced, you can do an internet recovery to restore the original OSX version your device came with. You do this by holding these keys as it boots:

Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R

Yes it still requires a mac device, but it doesn't require one with a functioning OS.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/25/how-to-start-up-your-mac-in-internet-recovery-mode/

you can do an internet recovery to restore the original OSX version
The problem with that, is that it takes hours to do. Time I do not have to devote to just one machine out of the dozens I need to be working on. Yes I know, star tit and its unattended from there, until you have to interact with the machine, I do not have time to babysit a computer.

The way I do it is simple for me (I hardly ever get a Mac to work on since the Apple store is just 10 miles away and people love to give them money), anyway. I have 3 Snowfox discs I bought for $10/ea from Apple when it was on sale once. I install it and log into the Apple store and upgrade a heck of a lot quicker.

The way I do it is simple for me (II have 3 Snowfox discs I bought for $10/ea from Apple when it was on sale once. I install it and log into the Apple store and upgrade a heck of a lot quicker.

What is a snowfox disk? I have heard of snow Leopard but never snow fox. And I don't remember internet recovery taking that long to download, but I am sure I didn't sit and time it either.

Mojave script:

(I modified the script for High Sierra linked above and changed the references from "High Sierra" to "Movaje". Worked OK for me.)

Attachments

• code.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 2
https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-macos-10-15-catalina-on-vmware-on-windows-pc/

If you already have the "macOS Catalina.App", make sure that you move it to the Application Folder. The next thing you need to do is convert Installer files to an ISO using the Terminal. To launch the Terminal go to "Applications" then "Utilities."

# Create a DMG Disk Image
hdiutil create -o /tmp/Catalina -size 8500m -volname Catalina -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

# Mount it to your macOS
hdiutil attach /tmp/Catalina.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/Catalina

# Create macOS Catalina Installer
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Catalina --nointeraction

# Unmount Catalina Disk
hdiutil detach /volumes/Install\ macOS\ Catalina

# Convert the dmg file to a iso file
hdiutil convert /tmp/Catalina.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/Catalina.cdr

# Rename and Move to Desktop
mv ~/Desktop/Catalina.cdr ~/Desktop/Catalina.iso

I have a 64 GB flash drive that I partitioned multiple times and have everything from 10.6.8 till I think Big Sur. It took me several hours but it was worth it. Now I'm set. Besides, the new macs don't really use media so once you make a set like this it will be good basically forever as eventually the Intel macs will stop getting updates and M based ones will be locked out.

Bye bye mac, it was nice knowing you.

Back